Looking at fitness trackers. Any ideas?

Options
I've been looking seriously at the Fitbit, but before I spend the cash I would love to hear from others on MFP what they think what's the best for the money. I would also love to know if any are better at tracking strength training.

Replies

• willisbehavin
    willisbehavin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For the price it looks good. Thanks for the health_guard
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like my Jawbone Up3 but, I wanted something that just looked like a bracelet. The app is awesome! Keeps you very motivated!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I have had a Fibit Flex and currently have a Garmin Vivofit2. I love them both and highly recommend either!

Some thoughts:
    • Most with the HRM worn on the wrist are inaccurate unless you are in steady state cardio. Not worth the extra money IMHO. The Garmin has an optional chest strap HMR
    • I needed one that I could wear in water, so the Vivofit was a better choice. Bluetooth from the chest strap does not work in water.
    • The calorie burn from the Fitbit appears to be more accurate, but the Garmin isn't too far off, just a little low which I can live with
    • Fitbit needs to be charged regularly, eventually every day as it gets older. Vivofit runs on a watch battery so no charging is needed
    • The Fitbit syncs with any phone via bluetooth or you can sync it via an ANT stick
    • The Garmin syncs with an ANT stick or via bluetooth on any IOS. Not every android phone will work with it (including my Nokia)
    • Both websites are easy to get info from and navigate

• EquineSunshine
    EquineSunshine Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch and I love it, but I would never claim it's worth the price if all you want is a fitness tracker. I love it for all the things it does (I didn't expect the fitness rings to be that motivating but they are) but as a HRM or fitness tracker I'm sure there are better ones out there.
    I completely agree with earlnabby that HRM's on the wrist can't keep up with quick cardio changes. I thought if anyone could get that right, it would be Apple, but they didn't come through. I use the Polar Bluetooth chest strap when I do actual workouts, especially intervals. It connects to my phone (or Apple Watch or Polar HRM watch or any of the cardio machines at the gym seamlessly) which I use for Runkeeper.

I tried an LG tracker a couple of years ago and it was HORRIBLE. I took it back but not before it totally goofed up my Runkeeper records. I'm still coming across screwed up things in RK from the week I had that LG.

I haven't looked at what's on the market now because I'm completely happy with my Apple Watch and can't imagine trading it in for anything else (because of all the other stuff it does like text, calendar and all the other apps) but from what I hear the Fitbits are pretty cool.