Disgustingly obsessed with FOOD!!! Make it stop

Options
2»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    joannie92 wrote: »
    Not sure what happened there but above post never sent all my typing.

Basically I think confidence is my drawback.

I don't want to get new friends as I love the ones I've got, and I'm useless at meeting new people!!

I do not under eat, my meals are huge and snacks even bigger.

I want to lose around 8 stone which wouldn'tget me to the healthy bmi but at this moment in in time my confidence is so.low that I don't want to exercise or get a hobby. I want to lose a few stone first and get some confidence back and feel I've achieved something.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice ☺

Holy crap you're tall!

By the way I think you may have misunderstood. Hobbies don't have to be that social or with massive groups of people. I believe one of the hobbies mentioned was knitting, for example. You could learn things from the Internet or YouTube, shop on your own time and/or by yourself for any supplies for any hobby you take on, etc. Zero confidence needed, just something you've been vaguely interested in, to do as a project or occupy your time

Same thing with exercise, actually. Lots of options you could do in the privacy of your own home and never really have to deal with the public (until you want to)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Also, I ❤
    janjunie wrote: »
    I'm going to tell you something that someone told me when I use to stay at home all day doing nothing of value. Get a hobby!. I know you might be thinking btch you don't know me, that's something along the lines of what I wanted to say to the person who said it to me, but it was true I needed to find something I enjoyed doing. It doesn't have to be something you stick with for the rest of your life, it can change, but do something that will take your mind off of food, there are other joys in life besides your next meal.

Btch you don't know me is exactly how I feel but it helps to know im not the only one that thinks it!! What did you take up as a hobby? Or multiple short term hobbies?

I started selling things on etsy, started out crocheting scarves for kids, then kids and women and eventually added vintage toys and books to the mix. It gave me something to do, I liked it and took up a lot of my time. Before that I got into a weird slump, both my kids were in school full time and I didn't know what to do with myself.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Do you have a job? I would think about food more if I wasn't working, I'm sure. I moved when I was pregnant with my first and no one would give a pregnant woman (8 months pregnant!) a job, so I got a volunteer gig at that point.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Not sure what happened there but above post never sent all my typing.

Basically I think confidence is my drawback.

I don't want to get new friends as I love the ones I've got, and I'm useless at meeting new people!!

I do not under eat, my meals are huge and snacks even bigger.

I want to lose around 8 stone which wouldn'tget me to the healthy bmi but at this moment in in time my confidence is so.low that I don't want to exercise or get a hobby. I want to lose a few stone first and get some confidence back and feel I've achieved something.

Thank you everyone for the help and advice ☺

If working out is a confidence issue, start small. I'm not kidding when I say that I started by just pacing back and forth in my apartment. It truly did help. Then as I started to lose weight, I was confident enough to go outside with my fiancé. Then soon enough I was confident enough to join a gym, and I have had horribleeee gym anxiety all my life. But I knew that if I wanted to continue progressing, it was necessary.

Point being, you need to start somewhere. Even small steps lead to big accomplishments if you stick to them. But as other posters have said, you need to truly want it to change. In the end, making excuses is hurting no one but yourself, and each day lost is a day that you could have been one day closer to your goal.
  • PamOliva
    PamOliva Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So much excellent advice here. Confidence comes from doing "something" ... even if you aren't great at it but it gives you some satisfaction. Most of my hobbies are solo -- reading, crafts, gardening, writing. I struggled with binge eating for a long time and finally had the guts to join Overeaters Anonymous. I don't go anymore but it was one of the ways that I learned to stop my obsession with food. I still love to eat but it is no longer a "hobby" of mine ... as it was for a very long time. I applaud you Joannie for being honest with this post. It shows you really are looking for solutions. They are out there.
  • spacepony
    spacepony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would just like to throw out there that the underlying psychological cause for obsessive behavior can & perhaps should be discussed with professional. Find a counselor or psychologist. just started therapy myself this year & it's helped me tremendously. It made me realize I'm stronger than I let myself think I am, and now working on my relationship with food as well.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I spend all day thinking about what to cook and what I'll eat later and my meals/snacks are something to look forward to, how sad is that! I like cooking but I'm also too lazy to cook when I get home from work.

Refine your obsession. Hone it. Use that obsession to plan meals and snacks that will fit your calorie limit.

Plan and log your meals and snacks in advance, and then enjoy eating them later, guilt-free.

It's easy! You've got all day to plan, and all day to look forward to eating things that will ALSO mean you lose weight. Win!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Things I'll do when I feel the "munchies" coming...

-make a cup of hot tea (I love the fruity flavors, feels more like a "food")
    -pick out what I want to munch on, then pre-log the calories of it. Once I see what it will do my daily goal, I am turned off from it.
    -brush my teeth
    -drink a big glass of water
    -go for a long walk
    -eat an apple instead (cut into thin slices so it will last longer)
    -think long and hard about how not eating those extra calories will help that scale go down sooner