Question about the shape of my hips.

Options
So, my hips look like this:

7uygpqtyh2j1.jpg

(hope the cropping made it forum-appropriate). I hate that indent between my pelvis and my thigh. There's not a ton of fat on that area of my pelvis either, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to round it out? Fill out the indent?

Lol hope that isn't a dumb question. I thought I saw somewhere on the magical world wide web some way to round that area out (different lifts and stuff), but have no idea where I had seen it.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to add muscle right there to smooth it out. If you look at figure competitors, some of them still have that dip. You can make it less noticeable through full body strength training and lowering body fat. My hips look like that too.

CHRISSY_IN_COMPETITION.jpg
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    There's really nothing you can do about it. It's your natural bone structure and the space between the top of your femur and bottom of your hip bone. Having less weight around your waist and thighs will lessen the appearance but it will likely always be there. It's definitely noticeable on women because you just are made with wider hips.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no fat there, it is your bone structure. And I have no idea why you hate it, it is a very common body shape.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Working on your abbductors might be what you saw.

Honestly a lower bf% will make it less noticeable.

also be happy. Guys love wide hips. It's in our genetics.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have that but it's only super obvious when I'm heavier, I'm hoping that as I lose fat it'll smooth out again.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There is no fat there, it is your bone structure. And I have no idea why you hate it, it is a very common body shape.

She's probably wanting an aesthetic form like some women you see with really curvy waist to hips ratio.

gj21wdvrcyn8.jpg

Don't compare yourself to other women. Enjoy the body you have and make the best you can.
  • boomshakalaka911
    boomshakalaka911 Posts: 655 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As you post a picture of a woman with arguabley the best *kitten* in the game hahaha
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Best *kitten* is highly subjective. A lot of guys don't like her posterior and think it's way too big. I don't like her personally and it has nothing to do with the size of her butt.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys, guess I'll just have to learnt to love it lol.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's just how you are. You can do some work on the gluteus medius (seated band abductions, lying hip abductions, clamshells, etc.) but it's still going to be how you are built based on your fat distribution and body structure.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's just how you are. You can do some work on the gluteus medius (seated band abductions, lying hip abductions, clamshells, etc.) but it's still going to be how you are built based on your fat distribution and body structure.

This. You can try to bulk up the gluteus medius (heavy weighted side lunges may help also) but that will just likely plump out the area and you will still have to lose fat in the region.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't see that on models because of air brushing, photoshop and heavy duty Spanx. They all got it.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    You don't see that on models because of air brushing, photoshop and heavy duty Spanx. They all got it.

Also, if you notice most of the pics taken without clothing (in a bikini) are standing slightly to the side, one leg forward and when completely face front, hands on hips? I'm with the other posters though, not sure why this even matters. If you have a nice frame, guys don't care, most women aren't going to point it out because most women have the same features and from an aesthetic point of view, a hip dip matters little if your lean, fit, tone and healthy.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have naturally (or by how I walk, etc, in day-to-day life) big gluteus medius, and you can see it from the front right there in that spot you want to fill in. I can flex it well, so I know it's not just fat, lol. It makes my upper glutes look wider from the behind, imho, but if you are 'lacking' in that area, give that muscle some focus if you like :)

Meanwhile, I wish i had your body up higher for sure, so count that curve there as a big blessing, lol! I'm straighter to the hips, another common complaint for us women.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Yeah, I have naturally (or by how I walk, etc, in day-to-day life) big gluteus medius, and you can see it from the front right there in that spot you want to fill in. I can flex it well, so I know it's not just fat, lol. It makes my upper glutes look wider from the behind, imho, but if you are 'lacking' in that area, give that muscle some focus if you like :)

Meanwhile, I wish i had your body up higher for sure, so count that curve there as a big blessing, lol! I'm straighter to the hips, another common complaint for us women.

True, more reason why you should love your curves.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Anyway, hip dips work well for certain kinds of panties and bikinis, especially those that are designed to sit low on the hip. Also, if you have really strong quads, a hip dip will accentuate them from the back.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sympathy comment because I know everyone has it but I still hate mine too. It's up there with my allergies on the list of things about my body I wish would just not.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    A lot of people admire the hip dip.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    ghouli wrote: »
    So, my hips look like this:

I hate that indent between my pelvis and my thigh. There's not a ton of fat on that area of my pelvis either, so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to round it out? Fill out the indent?

That's what my hips look like ... with the dent there. It's my bone structure ... how I'm built. I've been that shape my whole adult life at all my weights from slightly underweight to somewhat overweight. It is a bit more noticeable now that I'm lighter again.

I like it ... it's me. :)

And I would NOT want to look like that woman in the black dress. Ug.
  • orsolya_kiss
    orsolya_kiss Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have it too, I used to hate it, but now that I'm 35 pounds down, I don't mind them anymore... The fat is gone from that area, but the bone is still there and will be there forever :smiley: