Lean bulk?

Options
orsolya_kiss
orsolya_kiss Posts: 18 Member
edited December 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey everyone...
I'd love to gain some muscle without gaining fat... Is it possible?
What are your experiences?
I'm 5'7", currently weighing 138 lbs, body fat is 20%.
My macros are: 150g protein, 65g fat and 220-230g carbs.
Thanks for the answers :smile:

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There are some helpful threads over in the "Gaining Weight" sub-forum:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260527/most-helpful-posts-goal-gaining-weight-must-reads#latest

Gaining weight inevitably involves some of it being fat, no way around it. Starting your bulk at a low bodyfat % and keeping the surplus relatively low is the best way to minimize it (along with adequate protein intake and a good strength training program), but you will gain some fat in the process.
  • orsolya_kiss
    Options
    Thanks a lot!
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    As AnvilHead said, the lower the body fat percentage when starting, the better the results. I did a mini bulk last winter and gained about 4 lbs. While that's a very small amount to gain, I don't think more than 1 lb of that was fat. I think it really helped me that I was at 8-9% body fat when I started, which is quite low for a male.
  • orsolya_kiss
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I typically tell people anything more than 250 calories a day above maintenance is to much to bulk. I Just did a dirty bulk 500-750 above maintenance for Oct and Nov and put on 12 lbs I lost 10 of that in the past 6 weeks going back to maintenance which I then raised 250 calories to figure out my true Maintenance.. Its a real pain in the butt to be honest but I look and feel great so it worth it..
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm about to start another bulk. Will be my 3rd bulk, second one with a good idea on calorie expenditure and amount of exercise/progression in order to stimulate muscle growth. My current bf% is about 9.5-10% at 167lbs, 5'11". I'm aiming for about 250-400cals a day in surprise. Aim for no more than .75lb a week to maintain as lean as a bulk as possible. Zero fat gain is practically impossible but can be limited with a proper surplus.
  • orsolya_kiss
    Options
    To be honest I've gained about 8 lbs in December (mostly during the holidays lol), so now I'm back to cutting :smiley:
    As soon as I'm back to my normal weight I'll try what you guys said, thanks for the replies and the advices! X