How to eat intuitively?

Hey guys! So I'm currently 19, and had been recovered from anorexia in the last month. I'm 5'2 and my lowest weight was 41kg, and now I'm currently 50kg!! But I'm still struggling with learning how to eat "normally" again as I still have a bad habit of counting calories. Maybe this is another reason why I have not gotten my period back?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Are you seeing a therapist? What did they tell you?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I am in no way qualified to help you as I have almost zero experience with anorexia. I have however been an overeater for many years. I recall a long time ago, I was wanting to learn to eat intuitively and someone on these boards had mentioned the following (do not remember exact words)

Intuitive eating works for people who do not have disordered eating. Once your eating is disordered, your intuition is skewed. So for example - because you have had a tendency to not eat...that might feel like the "intuitive" thing to do. For me, my tendency was to over eat (and that was what I always did since being a child) so...intuitively, I would just end up over eating because to me, that is what would feel right. But since this is a disordered form of eating, intuitive eating can be dangerous and just cause you to continue using unhealthy behaviours.

Now, I am just mentioning this as something I found very interesting and never thought of it while I was reading "Intuitive Eating" and began to implement some of the practices.

Learning how to eat healthy proportions takes a lot of focus, insight, and reflection. Once your body, mind and soul are 100% accustomed to eating healthy proportions, then intuitive eating may be effective and probably the healthiest way to go...but that could possibly take years. I have been at this for 3 years and every once in a while I find myself slip back into old patterns of excessive eating.

I am not saying calorie tracking is the way to go, and for you that seems like a trigger. It would be interesting to know what your counsellor has recommended you to do. Do lots of research for yourself as well to find what best suites you! :D Good luck!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited December 2015
    I would talk to your counselor. It may be that you're not ready to eat intuitively yet. You've been seriously ill and it's easy to fool yourself and ignore obvious signs that you're hungry, just like other people ignore obvious signs that they're full.

If you don't think it's healthy to count or log, then eat by the book. Make sure you don't skip meals. Know ahead of time what reasonable things to eat would be (and work that out with your counselor). Make sure you do it. But run ANY plan by a counselor. Good luck.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    All therapists will tell you that this place is bad for recovery.... Close your laptop.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    If you want to try to eat 'intuitively' and not count calories work with your dietician and/or therapist about the appropriate portion sizes for you, and how many fruit/veg, carb, and protein portions you should try and eat each day.
    Eventually you will get to recognise the portion size without having to think too much about it.

Cheers, h.
  • bmb42
    bmb42 Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    You should check out this youtuber. Her name is Sarah Grace and she is a recovered anorexic who now has her bachelors in diet and nutrition. She talks a lot about intuitive eating.

Type in Fresh Fit N Healthy on youtube.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    This place is the opposite of "eating intuitively." This place is about eating systematically and deliberately.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I would discuss this with your counselor or support team . best of luck to you !
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Congratulations on your recovery and healthy weight <3
    I would advise you to ask your therapist/councelor/doctor about specifics, like periods.

Counting calories is not a bad habit. Undereating is.

Intuitive eating is a bit of a buzzword. Thinking of this as a must and the ideal way of eating, can create a lot of anxiety. Lots of people eat mindlessly, or conversively, "forget" to eat, and need to eat more mindfully. This site is a tool for that. MFP may not be right for you at this stage, but when your team gives you green light, it can be a great place for you to learn and grow.