Very upset!

Options
Hi!
I don't know what is happening and I have over eaten some, but I have gained 5-7 lbs. in just five days.
My weight has gone from 125.6 to 132.2. My period does start in about a week, could this affect it that much?
I'm getting very discouraged and wanting to cry.

Replies

• hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Do not let the scale affect you. Just go back to eating within your deficit and focus on monthly weight number. We retain water some days and this is normal
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, TOM can effect you that much, so can increasing your sodium from what you are used to, or a new workout routine. There are a bunch of reasons water retention happens. That kind of a quick weight gain is not going to be all fat gained.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Agreed ^^^ Water weight is most likely the culprit. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and check again in a couple days.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been eating over your maintenance calories by 24000 or so for that time, it is not fat. Much more likely is it is water retention from the extra calories. That is why just weighing yourself to measure progress is so unhelpful. Measurements (chest, waist, hips at the very least), and taking photos every couple of weeks, not to mention how your clothes fit, all should be factored into how you measure your progress.

As an anecdote, last Saturday I had two Christmas events to go to. My approach is on those days I eat whatever I want, as much as I want, and don't log. A good guess at the calories I ate that day would be probably between 4000-5000. My maintenance calories are about 2500 so that means I ate an extra 1500-2500 calories. Yet, the next day my weight was up 2.5Kg/5.5Lb. There is no way in one day that I ate 21700 calories (the weight I gained x 3500 calories for a pound of fat plus my maintenance calories of 2500). If I got upset about that I would be ignoring that it was water weight. It came off over the next 4 days, and I was weight wise back to where I started, but during all that time my clothes didn't get any tighter. There was no significant fat gain from that one day.

I have no idea what your weight loss goal is, but if you are measuring carefully (scale for solids/measuring cups and spoon for liquids) and logging consistently so you can be confident about your numbers, look at them carefully, and unless you eating a little over is eating 1000s or calories over every day, realize the weight gain is likely water weight.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It can be crazy. If you looked at my calories the past week and looked at my weight, you'd think eating much fewer calories caused weight gain, lol!

I'll be taking care of the too-low calories with this Advent celebration quiche Lorraine I'm making right now, btw. So when the weight loss shows up, it'll look like quiche Lorraine is the answer to all my problems ;). That would be nice!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Extra food, extra water, period coming...don't fret. I had my period while I was reverse dieting, the same week Thanksgiving rolled around. 130-137 in a day or two.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    A lot of exercise can also cause water retention (due to the body replenishing glycogen stores for energy).

A day or two after a very active day always sees my scale jump at least a pound or two.
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about the exercise factoring in... I've been eating more but I've also been working out 1-2 hours per day versus just the 30 minutes.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hormones do that
  • ArtFriess
    ArtFriess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I am staying within Points, and gaining!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, TOM can cause that much change! Just follow your program. Stay off the scale if it tweaks with your head too much. You'll most likely experience a big whoosh when it's over.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I would attribute this to TOM! Keep tracking, keep going - drink lots of water. 2 days after your period the scale will drop!
  • PeacefulSeraph
    PeacefulSeraph Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    TOM is probably 100% the culprit. Just make sure to cut back on sodium, and increase your potassium during this annoying (but temporary) time to see if it helps any. Otherwise just white knuckle it out like I do, lol
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates from day to day as it is. Enter TOM into the equation and you have your reason for the significant 'gain'. This isn't a fat gain.

I have gained around 6 lbs in the week leading up to TOM. It's fine, it'll go straight away :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I eat at over a 1lb/week deficit and my weight hasn't budged in over 10 days (177.5 every day). I'm not even getting fluctuations. Previous times I've eaten at maintenance and gained 3-5lb. Body weight can be funny sometimes.

If you are confident that you are logging everything accurately and staying within your calorie limit (in other words, you aren't lying to yourself about what you are eating), then eventually you'll lose weight if you stick to it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates a lot, it's usually from extra sodium/carbs and will be gone in a few days....
    TOM can affect the scales for 4 or 5 days as well.