Trouble gripping gym equipment

Options
Wondering if anyone has this problem..
I'm having serious problems gripping equipment. It usually gives way before the muscles I'm working do!
Not sure if it's my actual grip strength ( and if this can be improved) or I just can't wrap my hands around the bars, I have tiny hand and short fingers! (Think could wear kids gloves...)
Any thoughts appreciated!

Replies

• FrankWhite27330
    FrankWhite27330 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hiw much weight we talking
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    <15-20kg
    I've only been going to the gym for about 2 months, so we aren't talking a huge amount of weight
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    <15-20kg
    I've only been going to the gym for about 2 months, so we aren't talking a huge amount of weight

So these are dumbbell handles we are talking about? And for how many reps?

If your gym doesn't have smaller handles, do they have weighted bars you can work with (they are lighter than barbells)?

Do they have bands? If not, maybe you might need to look into investing in some dumbbells for a home gym or finding another gym. Or maybe consider creating a routine around cable work or bodyweight?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have small-ish hands, too. Though prob not kid-sized. My grip was weak in the beginning, but it improved over time on its own. It has a lot to do with the muscles of your forearm. So like any other muscle, your strength will improve with training. Hanging from a pull-up bar can be great grip practice if you find it challenging enough.

I'd encourage you to try improving your grip before trying to accommodate it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing when this happens?
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If your grip strength is failing, you could try weight lifting straps. One end loops around your wrist and the other end you wrap securely around the dumbell/barbell. I've had to use them for heavy deadlifts and shrugs when my grip would give out, but it might help in your situation as well until you can build more grip strength.

Grip strength can definitely be improved. There are grip strength training gazmatrons they sell in the fitness section at the department store on which the resistance can be progressively adjusted. There are also grip exercise balls sold at music stores for guitar players, and that might be your best place to start. Can always pick up one of those and just bring it around with you or take a few mins every day to work on grip strength until you can manage the weights.

Also wrist size is pretty hard to change so I wouldn't worry about your hands/wrists getting bulky or anything. Hope you find a way to work around this!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    First, before you attempt to pull, grip the handle as hard as you can, then do your lift. Keep your fingers tight and you'll be able to grip more.

Secondly, do grip work. Find a pull up bar and just hang on it for as long as possible. An alternatives is deadlifting and holding the weight at the top (barbell or dumbbell, doesn't matter).
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    What exercises are you doing when this happens?
    And with what equipment?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I second hanging to build grip strength and farmers walka
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Try some Versa grips.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem of my grip strength giving out first but with continued weight lifting grip strength has improved tremendously. I hold onto te pullup bar for time and use kettlebells a lot especially in the bottom up position for various exercises. If you have access to a barbell you could also take it, put it in a corner or landmine base & do lots of different exercises gripping the wider end of it such as 1 arm rows, single leg deadlifts, cleans, pressed, etc.