26 Days without chocolate, biscuits and cake!

Options
I've given up all chocolate, biscuits and cake completely until 9th July when I go on holidays! Cold turkey is the only way to curb a nasty habit I've formed over the last couple of weeks with my afternoon and after dinner cup of tea.

Anyone want to join me!

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I need to do the same thing with soda. I do well for awhile & then I drink one--not diet either:drinker: Keep up the good work!!! Have fun on your holiday!!!
  • mthorne313
    mthorne313 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    hi julez i,m doing the phase1 of the 17th day diet and basically its low carb & no sugar, I'm 3 days in & i'm fiending for sugar; its a huge!!!!!!!!!!! challenge
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options
    I couldn't do this. I would stop dieting totally. Unfortunately I've tried this before.

But if you can do it, then go for it :)

But I personally think everything in moderation is fine.
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have cut out pepsi for the most part since a year ago, but I do drink it once in a while when I have no choice, but I don't "need" it anymore...
  • WonderChicana
    Options
    Congratulations, I have done the same thing . I have decided to give up peanut butter, ice cream, and soda. I figured if I can go without it for forty days I won't feel the need to eat them anymore.:
  • alisonhinson
    Options
    I'm game...I will do this with you!:smile:
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    I couldn't do this. I would stop dieting totally. Unfortunately I've tried this before.

I think it's commendable for those that CAN eat in moderation. some of us, however, are completely addicted to sugar and moderation could be as detrimental as smoking in moderation when trying to stop smoking..... or drinking, or any addiction really. i LOVE the moderation idea, but, it typically starts a downward spiral that I can't control....

way to go on your cold turkey :) you can do it!
  • Kamioh30
    Kamioh30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I have done the same thing . I have decided to give up peanut butter, ice cream, and soda. I figured if I can go without it for forty days I won't feel the need to eat them anymore.:

I had given up peanut butter also. Too expensive on calories. But I love it. It still calls to me, but I've replaced it after another MFP'R told me about PB2. I just got some yesterday and I think it could be a good alternative. Check out http://bellplantation.com/. I found it at our health food store but next time I will order online (less expensive- not on calories but on the wallet:bigsmile: ).
  • Sarah_uk
    Sarah_uk Posts: 209
    Options

I think it's commendable for those that CAN eat in moderation. some of us, however, are completely addicted to sugar and moderation could be as detrimental as smoking in moderation when trying to stop smoking..... or drinking, or any addiction really. i LOVE the moderation idea, but, it typically starts a downward spiral that I can't control....

You know, before I wasn't able to eat these foods in moderation. Because I though it's wrong to eat it while being on a diet and it had to be cut out completely. But I fit it in my daily calorie allowance right now, it's doing me no harm weight loss wise and I'm happy that I can eat what I want. Because I'm in this diet long term, I need to be happy with what I'm doing.

I do agree, it's better to totally stop eating unealthy foods ,but I don't think I could do that.
  • Kamioh30
    Kamioh30 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

You know, before I wasn't able to eat these foods in moderation. Because I though it's wrong to eat it while being on a diet and it had to be cut out completely. But I fit it in my daily calorie allowance right now, it's doing me no harm weight loss wise and I'm happy that I can eat what I want. Because I'm in this diet long term, I need to be happy with what I'm doing.

I do agree, it's better to totally stop eating unealthy foods ,but I don't think I could do that.

I was an all or nothing kind of girl as well but since starting MFP I know I have a certain amount to "spend" and I make choices and compromises. Yesterday I had bread from an Italian restaurant but my main course was only soup and a dinner salad. But I really wanted some bread. Good thing it was the last piece though or I would have had to pour water on the rest. I won't eat soggy bread!
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    To be honest I'm usually all for moderation, hence why I allowed myself biscuits and chocs with a cup of tea in the first place, but there must be something about sugar cravings that mean the more you have the more you want so when I started feeling the cravings were starting to win I decided I just have to break the cycle. I did 40 days without chocolate for lent earlier in the year. This is a shorter time but allowing myself less! Fingers crossed its not too much!
  • alisonhinson
    Options
    Okay...did yesterday without chocolate...meeting someone for coffee this morning - always order hot chocolate and a croissant...my goal is to order tea and fruit...trying to think of that as a good new habit to be formed instead of deprivation. Will let you know how it goes!
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Well done for yesterday Allison! I think I've developed a taste association between Earl Grey tea and sweet things so I've been avoiding it in favour of 1 regular tea with milk in the afternoon and a few herbal teas, peppermint usually or chamomile in the evening!
    Good look resisting that hot chocolate and pastry! I'm meeting someone in the afternoon for coffee tmrw I wonder what I'll have. Don't think fruit would suit the occasion haha. Maybe something savoury?