Heart Rate Monitor w/Calorie Counter

Options
gmkimby
gmkimby Posts: 58 Member
In need of a HRM w/Calorie Counter...does anyone know of a good one that's reasonably priced? I would rather get a HRM w/Calorie Counter instead of using the MFP totals, b/c everyone if different and I wanna make sure I'm logging my earned exercise calories correctly. Thanks!!!! :smile:

Replies

• simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I use a Polar FT7 which displays my heart rate and how many calories burned. It also shows my average heart rate / maximum heart rate, how long I was in Fat Burn Mode or Fitness Mode. (Fitness burns more calories).

It was around $100 and is worth every penny IMO. I don't exercise without it now!
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i'd say go with polar as i'm sure most people will tell you, i have a polar ft4 it was about 80 dollars
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    I use a Polar CS200 on my bike and can use it for tracking calories in the gym / house as well.
  • Andie122
    Andie122 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just got the Timex:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G971-Unisex-Personal-Monitor/dp/B000P8VWQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308057387&sr=8-1

Much less expensive than the polar, and so far so good for me as I really just want to know my heart rate and calories burned. It's easy to use and easy to read.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    New balance N5. I have only had mine for two days, and am in love with it. They even have them in pink for you ladies, or guys if you prefer.

Forgot to mention the cost...89.99
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar f4 and I love it ... but I will tell you that for me, it is not so terribly 'off' from the MFP calories. The one thing it does do is reflect my effort. Like right now I have shin splints and can barely get through the 30 Day Shred, and it showed on my HRM as 200 calories. Usually it is between 240 and 290. MFP calls it 270.

I really love my Polar f4. I had a crapola $40 one before this and it just stunk. I wish I had just bought the polar to begin with.
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    As you know friend (:), I love my Polar FT7 but I have found I overpaid for it. I paid a bit over $100 and someone on here posted that he found a killer sale online and got it for something like $60. Whichever HRM you get, shop for price! :)
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I just checked a few days ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The Bodybug is great! It is the most precise calorie counter that you can get on the market, it is kinda pricy around 168.00 but it worth it! A friend told me about it and I went to Ebay and started looking around for one. Going to invest in it next month, I want to know how many calories I burn on my Turbojam workouts and my heartrate as well!
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT7 (after getting loads of recommendations for it from people on here) I LOVE it and can't recommend it enough :-)

EDIT - Or maybe I have the Polar FT40? I can't remember which one I went for but its definatley a Polar :smile:
  • Method2Madness
    Options
    I just bought a Polar RS300X for about $100 on www.amazon.com and like it. Because I did cardio testing to determine my heart rate zones, I can program the RS300X with my five zones. The RS300X also has some more capabilities for display and running timing.

If you're not going to use those features, I'd recommend the FT7. It should be well under $100 on amazon also. The FT7 is the model I would have gone with had I not done any specific cardio-point testing.

I've found that calore estimates on MFP tend to vary. Sometimes they've been spot on and sometimes they've been way off. Beyond just the calore counts, a good think about the FT7 is the ability to at least point out quickly if you're burning fat or sugars.

Hope this helps.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use a Mio Petite w/the calorie counter/HRM. It ran around $60.00. It's the popular brand in sports stores. No chest strap, wrist watch style. Make sure you read the box carefully to make sure the model counts calories. My first one, a gift, did not and I really wanted to know the calories I was burning as well.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 (women's version) and paid about $80 for it. Got it on ebay (which is where I found the best prices). The FT4 does everything I need (calories, time, etc.) for a reasonable price.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 and I love it. I got it off Ebay for $42.
  • DedicatedDiva
    Options
    I have a Polar F11, had it for around 5 years and I love it!!!! I can't work out without it. It doesn't get any better than exercising using a HR monitor! It is so much more accurate than any other tracking method. It also tells you what kind of shape you are in based on the FIT test. It is well worth the investment. Good luck, let us know which one you choose.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm going to piggy back on a lot of people and suggest you to get a Polar HRM. I have the FT4 and love love love it! It gives you the heart rate zone, heart rate and calories burned. It's great because you enter in your height, age, weight, etc... so you can get an accurate account of how many calories YOU have burned. The exercise machines don't ask nearly as much information so they are more generic. They can be a bit more than you would like to spend, mine was $75 but it was such a great investment!! I wanted to be cheap but learned my lesson when I bought one and it was a total piece of crap. Polar is the way to go and you won't be sorry!