Running apps

Options
Ok, so I need a new running app. In the past, I have used RunKeeper, but it annoyed me that it would say, for example, whether something was my fastest 2-4mile run, meaning it didn't keep track of useful PBs, as my 5K PB was not my fastest 2-4 mile run because I've run 2 miles faster than 3 miles (funnily enough) etc.

So, I went back to Nike+ because I knew that logs fastest 1km, 1mile, 5km etc even within a longer run (so if miles 2,3 and 4 of a 6 mile run were a new 5 PB, it would say that). I have found this much more useful in tracking my runs, but it doesn't sync with either MFP or Fitbit which bugs me. I also like that it tells you how your run pace compares to your last 7 runs etc.

Therefore, basically, I want an app that does everything Nike+ does but that syncs to MFP or Fitbit. Can someone recommend one that does just that? Does endomondo, mapmyrun or strava record the sort of data that Nike+ does? I know they sync to MFP but the data is important as it motivates me when I see progress (or slacking!)

Any suggestions welcome :)

Replies

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use Strava ..... well Garmin Connect but I guess you're not planning on buying a running watch - but it does auto-sync with Strava if you're wondering.

Anyway, I digress, as far as I know Strava doesn't keep track of your best PBs regardless of route. What it does do is keep track of your performances on segments of your route so each time you run a segment it will tell you how you did, it'll also show all the times you've done a segment on a graph so you can track performance over time.
    The social aspect of Strava is also handy to motivate me to get out when I see what my mates have been up to.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Endomondo keeps track of PB of various distances and it syncs with MFP. I had been using it for the past year until I purchased my Garmin watch last week.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have been happy with Runtastik but I am not sure if it will track your PB any better. I have the paid version but use it mainly to track my pace and distance. Also like the stats so I can figure out how many miles are on my shoes.
  • Vixyb_
    Vixyb_ Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I second Strava I totally love it. It makes you want to get out there and give it your best. x
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    For me it would depend on what other data you are concerned or not concerned with. If you really don't care about calorie counts, Endomondo does track some PB type stuff and has good graphs for workout breakdowns by type and such. I find it grossly overestimated calorie count, the some of the data is good.

I also agree that Strava is great if you run the same routes frequently. You can set up your own segments if wanted, and it does good about letting you know your placement within that segment. Great for some applications, but not great for others.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Strava

There are third party apps that automatically synch phone app data (from runtastic, runkeeper, mapmyrun, enodmundo, ect) with strava. Or you can manually upload the data to strava.

The Garmin watch is the best way to go tho. The Garmin FR-10 watch is about $100 brand new (cheaper if you can find one used) and Garmin Connect automatically can synch to strava. There are more advanced models that are more expensive but many times can find an older model used for much cheaper.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely try Strava when I run tomorrow but it doesn't sound like anything does quite everything I want. Maybe I just need to quit being lazy and continue to use Nike+, which I know I like, and just manually enter it on MFP. It's hardly a lot of work really!
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I may well look at getting a running watch, thanks for the idea. It's always seemed a bit pointless for me, as I always take my phone on a run anyway because it's the only device I own for playing music, but maybe it's time to get serious and look. I'll have a look in the sales and see if I can grab one fairly cheap.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Oh, and I may well look at getting a running watch, thanks for the idea. It's always seemed a bit pointless for me, as I always take my phone on a run anyway because it's the only device I own for playing music, but maybe it's time to get serious and look. I'll have a look in the sales and see if I can grab one fairly cheap.

I finally gave up after a year of trying to make my phone, BT headphones, BT HRM, and Pebble watch (and Moto 360 too) all work together for more than an hour. I got tired being full time tech support to make everything play nice. Add in syncing with Endomondo, MFP, and later Google Fit and it wore me out. I purchased a Garmin Forerunner and it does everything and more. I still carry my phone for music and emergencies.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Worth. Every. Penny.

I started running with an ordinary wrist watch for time, and got distance by mapping where I'd run in a web browser. Got an iPhone, and tried various apps; settled on RunKeeper as the best balance (in 2012) of accuracy and battery life. But I muffed starting the app at a couple of races, and when I got into a half marathon training program in 2014 RunKeeper wasn't versatile enough for some of the speed work intervals we were doing. So I bit the bullet and bought a Garmin 620. That's higher end, and more costly, than I might have absolutely needed; but I really like it for having 4 data fields on the screen. I bought the package that comes with a heart rate monitor, and having that data has been helpful as well.

Just started using Strava, after someone pointed out that Garmin Connect will sync automatically to Strava. It works well, and the social aspects of Strava (follow friends, even if they have Polar or Timex GPS watches) and segments (shows me how I did compared to others who set up a segment) and fun. In 2014, I was underwhelmed by the Strava iPhone app; but the web site, coupled with data from Garmin, is pretty good.

And having a Garmin for cold weather running is nice, too. The iPhone tends to die on long cold runs, but the Garmin made it through the 2015 Winter Warrior Half Marathon with temps in the single digits Fahrenheit just fine.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Other than the segments (which Garmin has as well), why sync with Strava? I just looked at their website and I didn't see anything that I don't already have. Of course I am probably missing the best features. :)

I just got the Forerunner 630 and love it. It may be overkill but that's OK. I like overkill. B)