Time to kick fat's butt

Options
Not really sure what to write here. I have been lurking for 3 months now off an on. Using MFP for past 3 months ( religiously for first 2 months but got off track during last month and part of 2nd month) My starting weight was 308, and I have now gotten myself down to 280. I suppose a little history on me might be helpful.

I am 35 (36 in 3 months) overweight my entire life. There has not been a moment in my life outside of early childhood where I was not overweight. I was not obese as I am now, but I was still overweight. I would constantly gain and loose the same 40 lbs for most of my early adult life until I hit about 23. It was around that time, that a job change and health changes started to occur for me.

The odd thing for me, is while I used food as a sort of crutch. I didn't eat all day long. I just didn't always choose good food choices or serving sizes. Now fast-forward to current. I decided I could no longer stand how I felt or looked. I Have not taken a picture of myself in over 10 years. And when other people would take my picture I would ask them never to show anyone.

I've finally decided I don't want to live this sad and lonely life like that. I have a wonderful husband (who incidentally has also been loosing weight with me) But when it got to a point where even using a restroom was difficult. I knew I had let myself go way too far. I always made excuses, saying that I didn't look that big. People always told me that I never looked as big as I said I weighed. I now realize I think they were just trying to be kind, and not let me know just how truly obese I really was.

I stood in front of a mirror and the person looking back at me was someone I hardly recognized. I am not sure quite how to explain it. Sure I looked in the mirror plenty of times, but it was like I was actually truly seeing myself for the first time without that haze of "I don't care". And what looked back at me horrified and scared me. So I made an appointment with a doctor and started to look at MFP.

I logged everything I ate, got told by my dear doctor that 3700 cals is what i would have to eat to maintain my current obesity. But that to loose weight I would need to cut that back to 2700. So for the next 2 weeks I tried to do that. Instead of cutting it back to 2700, I found I could not even eat that much. No matter what I did. I could not get myself past 1800 except for 1 rare day (who knew making my own meat stew could be so high in calories **Sigh**)

So my doctor said. Ok lets stick with 1500. He also put me onto Triamt/HCTZ to assist with getting rid of water weight. I was amazed with how much weight came off the first few weeks. I was excited and thrilled. But then I thought, this can't be normal. So i looked through MFP and sure enough, it's normal to loose alot at first due to water weight and your body kinda doing the whole "what is going on" moment, but that it would slow down. And that 2-3 lbs a week was still really good.

Well, I continues to loose.. some weeks it feels like I yoyo between the same 6 lbs over and over and then one day I'm just suddenly past that and onto the next set of lbs I get to yoyo over.

Fast forward into the 2nd month. I find that eating much past 1200 becomes a bit of a chore.. it's hard because I'm trying to also drink a TON of water (i drink 2L and my doctors tells me drink even more) So it's frustrating because most of the day I feel like I should be floating away. However I find that eating bread, or too many carbs in a day and I feel sluggish, bloated and sick. I have cut out all pop completely. And I limit myself to how big my servings are.

I have to make the best approximation that I can on servings because I don't have a food scale. So I use measuring cups and add a few extra calories just to be on the safe side so I'm not short changing myself.

And then I plateau. I can't figure out why.. So I cut back even more on my calories (I have a gym membership, but I'm having trouble getting myself there, I suffer from agoraphobia so getting there is difficult for me. So at this time, I'm not exercising like I know I should be.) I talk to the doctor and let him know.. he tells me that even with being mostly sedentary, with 1000-1200 calories I should still be in enough of a deficit to still enable my body to loose weight.

But then he prescribes me Phentermine. Not quite sure what to make of this pill.. don't really get dry mouth, but it does like to give nausea. But then it starts messing with my BP so he prescribes me Lisinopril for BP and Topomax to go with the Phentermine, because he feels I guess that I'm still snacking absentmindedly? I'm not really sure.

Anyway.. I'm terribly, terribly sorry for this horribly long post. I guess I had a lot to say. And not having someone to talk to, who can share the same troubles I have had like people here tends to make me talk forever :)

I guess what I'm looking for.. is like minded people who are also into kicking fat's butt. As of now I still need to loose about 125 lbs. to even reach my own personal goal. It feels a long, long way off to me, and sometimes I find that it just seems so far away. I know I should make smaller goals and go from there, but it would be nice to have friends to talk with who are on the same journey. That could provide just someone to talk to or even encouragement. I find that I do wonderful encouraging other people... but I fail miserably trying to encourage myself LOL.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to making new friends/acquaintances.

Replies

• Mzzlin
    Mzzlin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. We all have to start somewhere. You can reach your goal weight...I'm looking for mfp friends so we can motivate each other on our fitness journey. Feel free to add me.
    I'm looking forward to "kicking fat's butt" also :-)
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Fat has a really big butt, good luck kicking it.
  • Asianbutterflies
    Asianbutterflies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    tichondria wrote: »
    Not really sure what to write here. I have been lurking for 3 months now off an on. Using MFP for past 3 months ( religiously for first 2 months but got off track during last month and part of 2nd month) My starting weight was 308, and I have now gotten myself down to 280. I suppose a little history on me might be helpful.

I am 35 (36 in 3 months) overweight my entire life. There has not been a moment in my life outside of early childhood where I was not overweight. I was not obese as I am now, but I was still overweight. I would constantly gain and loose the same 40 lbs for most of my early adult life until I hit about 23. It was around that time, that a job change and health changes started to occur for me.

The odd thing for me, is while I used food as a sort of crutch. I didn't eat all day long. I just didn't always choose good food choices or serving sizes. Now fast-forward to current. I decided I could no longer stand how I felt or looked. I Have not taken a picture of myself in over 10 years. And when other people would take my picture I would ask them never to show anyone.

I've finally decided I don't want to live this sad and lonely life like that. I have a wonderful husband (who incidentally has also been loosing weight with me) But when it got to a point where even using a restroom was difficult. I knew I had let myself go way too far. I always made excuses, saying that I didn't look that big. People always told me that I never looked as big as I said I weighed. I now realize I think they were just trying to be kind, and not let me know just how truly obese I really was.

I stood in front of a mirror and the person looking back at me was someone I hardly recognized. I am not sure quite how to explain it. Sure I looked in the mirror plenty of times, but it was like I was actually truly seeing myself for the first time without that haze of "I don't care". And what looked back at me horrified and scared me. So I made an appointment with a doctor and started to look at MFP.

I logged everything I ate, got told by my dear doctor that 3700 cals is what i would have to eat to maintain my current obesity. But that to loose weight I would need to cut that back to 2700. So for the next 2 weeks I tried to do that. Instead of cutting it back to 2700, I found I could not even eat that much. No matter what I did. I could not get myself past 1800 except for 1 rare day (who knew making my own meat stew could be so high in calories **Sigh**)

So my doctor said. Ok lets stick with 1500. He also put me onto Triamt/HCTZ to assist with getting rid of water weight. I was amazed with how much weight came off the first few weeks. I was excited and thrilled. But then I thought, this can't be normal. So i looked through MFP and sure enough, it's normal to loose alot at first due to water weight and your body kinda doing the whole "what is going on" moment, but that it would slow down. And that 2-3 lbs a week was still really good.

Well, I continues to loose.. some weeks it feels like I yoyo between the same 6 lbs over and over and then one day I'm just suddenly past that and onto the next set of lbs I get to yoyo over.

Fast forward into the 2nd month. I find that eating much past 1200 becomes a bit of a chore.. it's hard because I'm trying to also drink a TON of water (i drink 2L and my doctors tells me drink even more) So it's frustrating because most of the day I feel like I should be floating away. However I find that eating bread, or too many carbs in a day and I feel sluggish, bloated and sick. I have cut out all pop completely. And I limit myself to how big my servings are.

I have to make the best approximation that I can on servings because I don't have a food scale. So I use measuring cups and add a few extra calories just to be on the safe side so I'm not short changing myself.

And then I plateau. I can't figure out why.. So I cut back even more on my calories (I have a gym membership, but I'm having trouble getting myself there, I suffer from agoraphobia so getting there is difficult for me. So at this time, I'm not exercising like I know I should be.) I talk to the doctor and let him know.. he tells me that even with being mostly sedentary, with 1000-1200 calories I should still be in enough of a deficit to still enable my body to loose weight.

But then he prescribes me Phentermine. Not quite sure what to make of this pill.. don't really get dry mouth, but it does like to give nausea. But then it starts messing with my BP so he prescribes me Lisinopril for BP and Topomax to go with the Phentermine, because he feels I guess that I'm still snacking absentmindedly? I'm not really sure.

Anyway.. I'm terribly, terribly sorry for this horribly long post. I guess I had a lot to say. And not having someone to talk to, who can share the same troubles I have had like people here tends to make me talk forever :)

I guess what I'm looking for.. is like minded people who are also into kicking fat's butt. As of now I still need to loose about 125 lbs. to even reach my own personal goal. It feels a long, long way off to me, and sometimes I find that it just seems so far away. I know I should make smaller goals and go from there, but it would be nice to have friends to talk with who are on the same journey. That could provide just someone to talk to or even encouragement. I find that I do wonderful encouraging other people... but I fail miserably trying to encourage myself LOL.

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to making new friends/acquaintances.

Hi there

I was somewhat in the same boat as you about 2 years ago. I've gone through a separation and divorce right before the holidays. And when the new year came I felt like I had no control so I decided to take control of my life and work on becoming healthy. I hated the way I looked at myself in the mirror I couldn't stand my image. I too received a lot of the same statements about that I look ok and I'm not as big. So I began working out and I changed my eating habits as well. I really didn't calorie count or do any fasting or juicing. However I did have a couple of weight plateaus. I only get frustrated and upset and want to quit. But I kept on because I knew I didn't want to go back being the girl that I was before I begin this journey. The following year I maintained my weight with some slacking off in the gym. In this year I am wanting to take off my last 15 - 25 pounds. I give myself at range because I don't like being focused on a number or obsessed about a number. I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. I only stand 5 5 but I'm also top heavy and has large heavy bones so basically it's like having a large woman's frame in a very short body. It kind of sucks because I'm supposedly supposed to only weigh 162 pounds but I'm afraid I would look anorexic or a skeleton if I were to get that low in weight. I have recently started taking phentermine and it does work to help curb my appetite and I've also began using MFP. I don't want to calorie count on my life nor do I intend on being on this medication either. I just know that I've done everything that I can and just need extra bit of help which my doctor is helping me with. I just wanted you to know that i know what your feeling and understand what it means. I wish you luck in your weight loss journey. Add me if you like and maybe we can be Fitness Pals. Have a great New Year!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. You can get one for $20. If you are not using a food scale, you really have no idea how many calories you are consuming.
  • Carbro1970
    Carbro1970 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too need to "kick fat's butt" this year. I've carried around a lot of extra weight for far too long. The weight packed on when I was pregnant and I just have never stayed motivated long enough to do something about it. But this is my year. I know there is an inner athlete under this extra weight and she is excited to emerge. I'm very excited to have a tool like MFP to help me on my journey. Thanks for letting me share☺
  • tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information Lynn :) I will definitely look into that. And I agree I have no idea how many calories which is why I estimated/used info that was on the food. But I didn't know some of them were only 20.00 :) I will be checking that out soon. And Carbro, I'm glad you could share. It's nice to be able to talk to people who have a similar goal. If anyone would like a fat kicking buddy, feel free to add me. I enjoy the company and look forward to seeing what this new year has to bring all of us.
  • haweller2708
    haweller2708 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I would get a second medical opinion. I agree with your MD's calorie guidelines but his/her continual prescribing (of course, I have very little info here) seems excessive. If he is prescribing medications, ask questions? You have to be your own advocate, especially with a doctor. As far as exercise, could you simply add in walking? Get a phone or MP3 player and listen to music or books. I love books because it totally distracts me from what I am doing. Walking has all kinds of benefits and does not need a membership. Just the fact that you are here and paying attention to your patterns is a step forward.
  • tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do walk, or did until it got too cold and snow/ice kept me from walking. I still have my membership though.. i just have a hard time being alone in public. It sounds ridiculous.. I know. But it is hard to describe agoraphobia to people who don't understand it. The good news is the hubby now has a membership so I'm going to try to get to gym more. Start slow and work my way up. As for the doctor, I may do that if this next meeting proves to be just the same as the rest. "Good job.. 10 lbs this month, keep that up for the next 10 months and that's 100 lbs." appears to be his favorite saying.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    So much of what you wrote could have come from my own mouth! I'm 34 now, and let myself get to the point where I can barely stand to look in the mirror, and like you I never have pictures taken, I'm too ashamed of how I look.
    I've got about 180lbs to lose in total, which sounds like SO much (and it is!), but I've got small goals right now. If you'd like some moral support, please feel free to add me :)