Portion Control and Moderation

Options
I am terrible at managing my portions and exercising moderation. When I've lost weight in the past, it's been because I change my diet so I'm eating a lot of very low calorie foods (like veggies), but my portions are still huge, and I eat until I'm overfull. How can I learn to eat appropriate portions? My problem is that it's hard for me to stop eating when comfortably full. I keep picking at leftover food or will go wander into the kitchen for a few more bites, and if I'm at a restaurant I eat every thing on my plate, and will continue snacking on leftover appetizers or bread until we go. How do I stop when I've had just enough?

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Willpower or self discipline. It isn't easy but no one else will do it for you. When you have adequate motivation you will find a way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I log it before I eat it. It usually helps, honestly. Log every single thing... makes me think twice about whether I really want that extra meatball. At the restaurant, I usually eat everything, but I don't pick high calorie foods (and we don't order appetizer and bread is usually eaten by my children by then anyway, and we say no if they offer more).

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Logging/weighing my food every day has taught me how to eat correct portions. I am 50 years old now and have come to realize that I cannot eat the same as I used to.(especially if I want to maintain a healthy weight)
    Sounds odd but I started to realize how big my portions were when I had a friend who had bariatric surgery. I would watch what she would eat and it kind of clicked how much we overeat in general.
    I allow myself about 5meals a day. 3 being around 300-400 calories and about 300 in snacks. I weigh my protein, make sure I get enough of it. I also weight out any bread, pasta, rice, and usually stick to 1/2 portion. This helps me control what I eat because I have a guideline. if I just pile food on my plate I am pretty sure I would eat 3 times the amount.
    Also, make sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet. Fats are important to keep you full and satisfied.
    After your finished eating, give your body time to let it sink in. Tell yourself you can have more to eat in a few hours. After a while, it just becomes habit.
    I mention the fat because even though you're full, you may not be satisfied so instead of eating a ton of low cal/low fat stuff. Have a smaller portion of higher fat foods you enjoy. Hope this helps!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Identify what foods keep you full the longest. For me, it's protein; chicken, steak, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. I build my daily foods around those items. Then I fill in the rest of my calories with fats (butter, avocado, peanut butter) and carbs (vegetables, rice, potaotes, bread).

I'm a volume eater too. I tend to choose things I can eat a lot of (chicken) over something I'd have to have very little of (pizza). That's not to say I never bend the "rules"...I do. I've just learned how to do it.

Going out to eat: I'm a little more lenient with this because I don't go out often. I allow myself to enjoy it.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I know those habits. I weigh out my portions and look to see what they look like size wise on the plate before taking a bite. I recognized that picking at food after eating enough already was satisfying an emotional craving or a desire to clean the plate which is not necessary. When I go out to eat, I've made myself a rule: no bread from the bread basket, no appetizers. Entree only, which in itself is usually twice a portion size. I have to stare at the extra food and tell myself make a conscious decision: eat the extra or stick to your goals. My brain wants it both ways, but ain't gonna happen! I do slip up, but with practice my self control is getting stronger. I am a person that enjoys the food more than the socializing around a meal, but I'm trying to pay more attention to the people than the food. That also helps. Eat slow so that when others go for seconds you're not done with firsts and still have food in front of you while they're stuffing themselves in front if you. I don't keep a fully stocked fridge and pantry either...only what I've planned to eat that week. Try out some different strategies. Good luck! You can do it!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Log food the day before and try to focus on filling foods. Usually protein (often chicken) with vegetables is filling. Logging ahead will help prevent eating until over full.

Another method that works for people who eat until they are stuffed is intermittent fasting combined with logging ahead. They skip breakfast to allow larger meals later in the day.

Breaking habits will take a lot of time and experimenting.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I am at my momma's house. I can't say no to it and it is my number one weakness...my weight loss journey in the past before my last pregnancy I remember picking up my kids and leaving after saying my good byes. I work first shift so by the time i get off my parents are already having dinner. I will sit and eat if I can't resist temptation but I would only eat what i know I can take in and to help me curve my momma's food. After I am done...before I can ask for seconds...I thank my parents, get myself busy rounding up my kids and leave. Lol. It's bad advice but that's the only way I was able to resist!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to address this! It is hard to break this habit so experiment with different methods until you find what works best for you. Push away the plate/serving dish. Know your calorie counts, that can be enough to scare you off! Check out calories on restaurant before going out. I like to have a protein shake about hour before i go out. Lots of wAter & salad & veggies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I am terrible at managing my portions and exercising moderation. When I've lost weight in the past, it's been because I change my diet so I'm eating a lot of very low calorie foods (like veggies), but my portions are still huge, and I eat until I'm overfull. How can I learn to eat appropriate portions? My problem is that it's hard for me to stop eating when comfortably full. I keep picking at leftover food or will go wander into the kitchen for a few more bites, and if I'm at a restaurant I eat every thing on my plate, and will continue snacking on leftover appetizers or bread until we go. How do I stop when I've had just enough?

What if you eat really, really slowly? Take small bites, chew thoroughly, and count bites. This will give your brain time to catch up to your stomach being full.

I know I can polish off a three ounce bar of chocolate in one sitting if I chew it, but if I go for chocolate chips instead and let them dissolve one by one in my mouth, it takes about 45 minutes to finish a half ounce and I have thoroughly scratched my chocolate itch by the time I am done.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I also log food the day before, and I weigh out only the amount I am going to eat, then I clean my plate of the food I've chosen. At restaurants, I plan my order ahead of time so I can eat the full meal, even if it means skipping another meal on that day to work it in to my goals.
  • Shelly9860
    Shelly9860 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also like this and its horrible. Because I don't realise it while I'm doing it, just after its done. Thanks for asking the question, and thanks to those who answered. I know I will defiantly try a few.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Try pre-packaging foods into actual single serving amounts. Take sandwich bags and put in each one a single serving of something pre-weighed and then eat one at a time. If nothing else, you'll get a few more steps having to go back over for each serving.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the volumetrics diet? I thought it sounded interesting. It's basically calorie counting but for people who need help choosing foods that you can eat a lot more of. I found a webmd article on it. http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/volumetrics-what-it-is
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents:

Log the food before you eat it. Make sure you look at how many calories you have left afterward, I've found that helps.

Also, put away the food you aren't planning to eat before you start eating.

Also, mindset is very important. Stop saying "I've having trouble not picking at leftovers," start saying "I'm eating what's on my plate and nothing else." The first statement subconsciously gives you an alibi to keep eating - your brain tells you "I always have trouble so it's not my fault"
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    At a restaurant, instead of an appetizer, get a big salad first, and order an extra vegetable with your meal. Ask the server not to bring bread.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just hold out for one huge meal at the end of the day which stuffs me and do 30 min cardio fasted every day and I maintain my weight easily (which is what I want atm) but you can do two or 3 meals but then, more meals = smaller meals, Works for me well and worth a shot
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the volumetrics diet? I thought it sounded interesting. It's basically calorie counting but for people who need help choosing foods that you can eat a lot more of. I found a webmd article on it. http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/volumetrics-what-it-is

I eat alot of volumetric meals and snacks. I routinely eat a pound or more of veggies with lunch and dinner.....

I 'rice' cauliflower and mix it 50/50 with white rice

Steam a lb of cauliflower and top with buffalo sauce and light ranch

1 polish sausage cut to thin coins, sauted with 1lb of broccoli, topped with 1oz shredded cheese

Broth based soups

MASSIVE salads

Ill eat an entire head of romaine lettuce or other raw veggies, leaf by leaf, dipped into mustard (mixed 50/50 with lemon juice usually).

Sugar free jello

Air popped popcorn topped with splenda & cinnamon, chili powder, lemon pepper, or other seasonings.

cucumber or radish slices with lots of lime or lemon juice and salt

4-5 navel oranges at once.

A bag of frozen blueberries eaten one by one.

Corn thins , which are similar to rice cakes but thin and around 20cals each.
  • tinkerbell30115
    tinkerbell30115 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well with me I eat what I wsnt just measure the serving size. And it fills me drink plenty of Water as well. It going to take time if you need help im here if you like.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Willpower or self discipline. It isn't easy but no one else will do it for you. When you have adequate motivation you will find a way.

There really isn't a better way to say it.
    It's really hard (in the moment) to walk away and control yourself, but the simplest thing really.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Another restaurant trick. Before you start to eat, divide everything on the plate in half. Get a "to go" box and put half of the food away.