Feeling grim - 1 day off = 3lbs on. Can't be right, can it?

Options
Am feeling a bit glum today - had a really good week last week, I basically cut a main meal out so was having 2 meals plus healthy snacks, all good, kept to around 1200 cals a day and lost nearly two pounds.

We were away for the weekend so I had breakfast on Sunday for the first time in the week, lunch, and dinner at about 10pm unfortunately. I also had two glasses of wine and a couple of chocolates but I didn't go over the top and thought that with me having done so well over the week that the extra would be absorbed.

Well guess what - I put the 2lbs back on and one for good measure.

Am gutted, it's making me think that unless I really really restrict myself all the time I'll never get anywhere. :frown:

Replies

• ashleyevans0619
    ashleyevans0619 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I work really hard for a week or two, and then something happens where I'm at an event or out of town, so I splurge just a little - and boom, 2 pounds seem to appear on the scale within a day or two. it's very frustrating. this could be due to water retention - maybe the meal you splurged on could have had a lot of sodium in it, who knows. I think there's a fine line between working out, staying healthy, etc. and enjoying life. My doctor told me that it's ok to have one free day a week, where you eat anything you want. So perhaps as long as you don't splurge too often, you can enjoy the things you want.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    it's probably water weight, you need to take in something like 3400 extra cals to gain one lbs. Flush your body with lots of water and make sure you are getting at least 30 mins of exercise a day...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cutting out meal is not the way to do it. eating 4-6 times/day is preferable. Maybe just reduce the size of the meals instead of cutting one out.

The 2 lbs it most likely water weight, as the only way you would put on 2 real pounds is from eating 7000 more calories than you burn, so over 1 day you would have had to eat about 9000 calories in total to put 2 pounds on. So don't sweat it.
  • cherryburton
    cherryburton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'll go with water weight, thanks both.

It is a bit dismal, and I get all discouraged and think about doing radical things like eating nothing but baked potatoes and beans or protein only, but I really don't want to...

I didn't get to exercise every day last week so will try upping that and see what happens.

Thanks for the support. :smile:
  • shaundam
    shaundam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did that this weekend. I wayyyyyy over indulged on vodka and cranberry juice and gained 5 lbs. It's tuesday and I've already dropped 4 of it back off. I think just the alcohol alone was what made me swell. I think you will shed it really quick, I wouldn't get discouraged yet.
  • missys99
    missys99 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    don't give up! anytime you deviate from your normal diet routine your body will have a reaction! you probably are retaining water from the extra sodium intake from the extra food! yesterday I weighed myself and I was very happy to see that I had lost 3 pounds over the week! yea! this morning i am up 1.5 even though yesterday was a good day (lots of workout and good in my calories). so keep pluggin along and you will get there!
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    cutting out meal is not the way to do it. eating 4-6 times/day is preferable. Maybe just reduce the size of the meals instead of cutting one out.

The 2 lbs it most likely water weight, as the only way you would put on 2 real pounds is from eating 7000 more calories than you burn, so over 1 day you would have had to eat about 9000 calories in total to put 2 pounds on. So don't sweat it.

Yeah, I agree about cutting out meals. You should eat at LEAST the 3 main meals a day plus a snack or two. Like everyone else has said, it's probably water weight, most likely from the alcohol. Just drink a ton of water today and you should be fine.
  • caroline150
    caroline150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight for sure. Also, remember weighing your self first thing in the morning is the best!

I also weigh myself often instead of one designated day a week and only update my weight on MFP if it's gone down :}
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had a very naughty weekend, weighed myself sunday morning and I gained 4lb. Upped my water intake, did 50 minutes of Circuit training yesterday and it's all gone today. I think the exercise helped as I sweated the majority of the water weight out haha
  • aames810
    aames810 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have found that it is better to weigh yourself only once a week, otherwise you are constantly watching daily fluctuations in your weight. Some of it is probably water changes in your body. Are you weighing yourself at the same time of the day? That will also affect your results. I always weight close to 2-3 pounds more during the day compared to the first thing in the morning. I have also found that if your muscles are sore from a workout the day before, you will also be a bit heavier the next day. Good luck!
  • cherryburton
    cherryburton Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "I have also found that if your muscles are sore from a workout the day before, you will also be a bit heavier the next day"

Well that would make sense, I did the 30 day Shred yesterday and I can barely walk today, my thighs have gone solid! Wonder if that's anything to do with it...

Thanks for all the feedback, you've all cheered me up a bit. I really should only weigh myself once a week but I find it impossible to resist sometimes, it's ridiculous. Might have to put the scales in the car so I'm not tempted every morning...