This site gives too many calories

Options
I've been feeling that this website is giving me too many calories. it says I should eat about 1300 a day and that sounds like too much. Is anyone else having this feeling?

Replies

• stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    I've been feeling that this website is giving me too many calories. it says I should eat about 1300 a day and that sounds like too much. Is anyone else having this feeling?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Have you been logging all your food? You'll be surprised how quickly they add up. :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    It feels strange to be told to eat on a diet, but it's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change. You can't be expected to maintain 800 or 900 calories a day for the rest of your life. 1300 is a good number to lose weight and still be full, so you don't cheat (as much).
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    that's definitely not too much. I weigh 154lbs. To maintain that weight I need to eat 1850ish calories a day. to lose a lb a week I need to eat 1400ish cals. is that comparable to you?
  • stef_e_b
    Options
    Yeah, I log everything, I weigh a lot so I know I should eat more to boost my metabolism but it doesn't feel like a diet. it feels like im whimping out.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    it should get better.....if you're eating 1300 calories of fruits and veggies and protein you shouldn't feel as guilty as if you were eating 1300 calories of cotton candy and ice cream.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    1300 cals isn't "eating more" it's pretty much eating the minimum you need to survive. I'd definitely recommend you speak to your doc about this, they can help you set accurate goals for YOU.
  • jersygirl09
    Options
    If you are working out and eating the foods that you should then that sounds pretty reasonable. Try it and it you aren't losing then change the foods or quantities that you are eating.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten that low before. Even now! I eat 1400 when I don't work out and more when I do.

Eating healthy and less to lose weight doesn't mean starving. It just means eating less than you need to maintain. You can do that easily enough without suffering.

Don't get into that frame of mind of thinking you need to be hungry and starve to feel like you're losing. In fact if you eat the right amount, your metabolism is going to love you and help you get that weight off.
  • stef_e_b
    Options
    My doctor is trying to tempt me into taking a blood test (I've never had one and I hate needles) So he says he won't talk to me about weight loss until I get a test.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I log everything, I weigh a lot so I know I should eat more to boost my metabolism but it doesn't feel like a diet. it feels like im whimping out.

if it feels too much like diet I won't do it. :tongue: I don't think 1300 is that much... I'd like to eat more personally and I make pretty good choices most of the time.
  • terraw
    terraw Posts: 40
    Options
    Im on 1360 on this site and to be honest it's not enough lol If I don't workout it adds up VERY fast!!!!!!!
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My doctor is trying to tempt me into taking a blood test (I've never had one and I hate needles) So he says he won't talk to me about weight loss until I get a test.

I think you should, because if it turns out that you are hypoglycemic or diabetic, it would be an entirely different nutrition plan for you. It could damage your body if you are and you don't do anything about it, or eat the wrong foods.
  • smokey48141
    Options
    I think this site is on the money. I weigh 145 (packed 5 over the holidays) and want to go back to 140 which i have been able to maintain for a year or so. i am on 1200 calories but i burn 535 daily on jogging and/or rowing so it bumps me up to 1835 which is soooooo good. So if i wanna slurge, i exercise without guilt!
  • heidabear
    Options
    1300 is definately not too small. I eat about 1400-1600 and still manage a pound a week. I'm pretty big too.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    careful not to go too low or your body reacts the opposite and stores-I am countering that right now
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Shots aren't fun, but you're a grown woman now and if he thinks you should have one, then you probably should. :flowerforyou:

It's always good to know your numbers and if there's anything you should be aware of. :heart:
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1250 calories a day and right down to a T. If I work out and get a few hundred extra calories, sometimes I will eat those extra calories,sometimes I won't, depends how I feel. The water is what I find makes the difference in me. The more I drink, the better I feel.
  • livinwell
    Options
    Some days I have a real hard time eating all of my calories....and if you excercise...forget it! But then again, if I lose weight...who am I to complain.
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    it's pretty well understood among nutritionists that no adult should consume fewer than 1200 calories. If you think you're eating too many calories - add exercise and don't eat all of the additional calories it provides. this will help increase your calorie deficit - but you have to be sure to take in enough calories to support your physical activity.