Thinner=Colder?

Options
As I've lost about 40 pounds, I've noticed I'm much cooler - even cold in air conditioning. I'm sitting here at work now and it's 90 outside, and I'm wearing a fleece jacket inside in the air conditioning - and my hands are cold.

What's up with that?

Replies

• daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well, i always did joke that my winter fat (which stayed for all four seasons) kept me warm! i'm guessing that's not just a myth.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me when I first lost a bunch of weight. I can be outside in the heat and if there is a breaze I might even get cold. I have a space heater in my office and its running ALL THE TIME. I have since gained back most of that weight... still cold
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    yup! Less fat to keep you warm
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    With fat comes warmth. Lose the fat= lose the warmth! Congrats on being cold!! :)
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I feel you on this one...I've lost 53 lbs total, and I'm much colder now, than I was before. I used to sweat all the time, and now, I get cold very easily. Just keep your jacket handy and love the fact that you are thinner :)
  • casie05
    casie05 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Lol that happened to me too lol.
    It's weird. I was joking a while back that since i lost 20 lbs it's not as "hot" anymore lol
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am a cold tattie already so I dread to think whats gonna happen when I loose my weight :( Well done on ur loss :) xxx
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I always say that I lost all my insulation! I'm sitting at my desk at work right now with a heater fan pointed at me to stay warm!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I am freezing most of the time. I use a space heater under my desk. I sleep at night with an electric blanket. I think it is something that just happens with a large weight loss!
  • bluecutipy
    bluecutipy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My mother is like that. she lost about 40lbs and now shes cold all the time.
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I was just thinking that to myself this morning!! And I did come to the conclusion that I'm colder now as I have lost all my 'blubber'!!!

Welcome to the cold club!!! :wink:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Thinner isulation layer. Yup.
  • marnijojo
    marnijojo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not the only one! Funny thing is, 20 yrs ago when I was at this weight, I was always hot but this time around, I am freezing all the time.
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    I am the same way! I have on my thick robe and under a blanket at the moment. I freeze all the time, especially after I eat...but I would rather freeze and be skinny than to be warm and fat!...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    With fat comes warmth. Lose the fat= lose the warmth! Congrats on being cold!! :)

LOL way to be optimistic hahaha
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I do hope not because I'm constantly cold as it is...my hands and feet are are like ice packs!
  • NayaP
    NayaP Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm about 40 lbs. lighter since last summer and I've been bugging my roomate about turning the AC up a few notches b/c I'm so cold...it didn't dawn on me that this could be a factor - that's crazy funny...but SO cool. :o)
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just went outside for lunch (and my water) to sit in the sun and read - it's about 90 ... I didn't even break a sweat after an hour.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I could not find a clear answer on the net. I found this at nature.com

On entering a cold environment, people react by increasing insulation and energy expenditure (EE). However, large interindividual differences exist in the relative contribution of each mechanism. Short-term studies revealed that obese subjects increase EE (i.e., adaptive thermogenesis) less than lean subjects, which might have implications for the predisposition to obesity. In this study, we validate the differences in adaptive thermogenesis between lean and obese upon midterm mild cold exposure. Therefore, 10 lean and 10 obese subjects were exposed for 48 h to mild cold (16 °C) in a respiration chamber. The preceding 36 h they stayed in the same chamber at a neutral temperature (22 °C) for the baseline measurements. EE, physical activity, skin temperature, and core temperature have been measured for the last 24 h of both parts. Mean daytime EE increased significantly in the lean subjects (P < 0.01), but not in the obese. Physical activity decreased significantly in the lean (P < 0.01) and the obese (P < 0.001) subjects. The change in EE was related to the change in physical activity in both groups (respectively R2 = 0.673, P < 0.01 and R2 = 0.454, P < 0.05). Upon mild cold exposure, lean subjects decreased proximal skin temperature less, but distal skin temperature more than obese. In conclusion, the interindividual differences in cold-induced thermogenesis were related to changes in physical activity in both lean and obese, pointing at the existence of individual variation in physical activity to compensate for cold-induced thermogenesis. Furthermore, although a large part of the lean subjects counteracted the cold by increasing EE, most obese subjects changed temperature distribution, and therefore, increased insulation.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Guess this counts as an NSV!! Or something like that...