Help!! How can I stay active at my desk job?

Options
My job requires lots of data entry and I'm at my computer most of the day. I know sitting for long periods of time is terrible for your body. I've requested a standing desk but my employers won't spring for one :(

Anybody else in a similar situation? How do you keep moving during work hours?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't. I exercise when I'm not working. Once in a while I'll walk around the building but other than that, I work when I'm at work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't, really. I walk or ride to work. I take the stairs. I do something physical at lunch many days. But otherwise, I don't try to make my work more active.

You could splurge for a balance ball and use that instead of a chair, I guess.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'll get up every so often and walk around. On my lunch break I'll try to walk at least a mile. I also workout after work. Try to take a short walk every hour or so. It's good to help the circulation in your legs as well.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I love my exercise ball as a chair because I bounce on it all day long. Apparently they are incorporating these into classrooms since it helps the attention span of children, and it definitely unleashes my inner child.

I also make sure I stand up and do a lap at least once per hour to stretch things out. Other than that, I love my daily lunch walking break since it gets me far, far away from my desk and I can unwind.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am in a tiny office building now, so it's harder, but when I worked in a bigger office I would do a lap every couple hours. I worked on the 4th floor south wing. I would get up and walk to the end of the north wing, take the stairs down to the third floor, walk to the south wing, take the stairs down to the second floor, walk to the north wing, take the stairs down to the first floor, walk to the south wing and then climb the 3 flights back to my desk. Took me about 10-15 minutes. And I tried to do it at least once in the morning and once in the afternoon. More if it was slow, less if it was busy. I don't know what kind of office setting you are in, but that might be something to try. Or go to a restroom that is farthest away from your desk. Your employer can't get mad at you for using the restroom and they never said which restroom you have to use, right?

In my small office, I sometimes walk around when I'm on a conference call. I have my own office where I can shut the door, so if I'm standing and moving around a bit, no one will know. Just make sure you don't do jumping jacks or something that will make you out of breath if you need to speak on the call!! lol
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have "sit on your butt all day" type jobs, I know I do. I don't worry about keeping moving during work hours. I get up early in the morning to get my workouts done. Having a sedentary job doesn't mean you can't or won't lose weight. Weight loss mostly happens with how much you're eating so worrying about moving around all day during work isn't a big concern of mine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I'll get up every so often and walk around. On my lunch break I'll try to walk at least a mile. I also workout after work. Try to take a short walk every hour or so. It's good to help the circulation in your legs as well.

This^

Use the farthest bathroom, take stairs if available, don't park your can near the exit. Wearing a pedometer can help you track, and may inspire you to move more.

Take a walk during lunchtime. If you have an office (with a door) you can take a virtual walk. Either Leslie Sansone or virtual walk videos can help when weather won't cooperate.

Balance balls (on a stand) are pretty much worthless. Ask HR before buying a free standing ball. Many workplaces won't allow these.
  • nail_polish
    nail_polish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    71eii37vznmg.png

This! It fits under desks. Just make sure it has magnetic resistance.

• shankins6
    shankins6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That under desk bike is awesome! I'll have to get one of those for sure. And I'll set an alarm to get up for more leg stretches. I try to get up as frequently as possible but I feel like I get sucked into my work and then realize I've been sitting for two straight hours.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think it's better to get up and walk or if you're like me and can close an office door, then do some body weight squats, leg lifts, etc. Get up and fill your water glass. Get up and go to the bathroom. Set a timer on your computer for ever 60 minutes. I now have the Polar A360, which vibrates every 55 minutes and reminds me it's time to get up and move. Love that! And it's been studied and shown that it doesn't matter how much you work out if you sit too much (too long at a time, that is); you can't undo the damage that all that sitting does to your body.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't. I exercise when I'm not working. Once in a while I'll walk around the building but other than that, I work when I'm at work.

Agree. Other than random walks around the building, to the coffee machine, etc. I do all my exercise in the 1hr-2hrs that I am not working.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I do most of my exercising outside of work, but I can't sit all day without going crazy.

I second the idea of using a timer to remind you to get up and walk. I try to do 10-15 min in the morning and again in the afternoon. Then I only take a 30 min lunch. So I eat lunch pretty quick and walk a little then too. These breaks are important for productivity too, so its not like you're slacking if you take them.

If you can't get that big of a chunk of time. Set the timer for more frequent and just take a lap around the building. I often will use the excuse of a bathroom run or water bottle refill to take a lap around.

I also park in the furthest part of the lot and I take the stairs instead of the elevator unless it's like 6 floors or more.
  • ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly with the "do the exercise outside of work" crowd, but sitting for too long makes me loony. I'm a secretary but with the business I work for, we don't actually have many people coming into the office so I'll get up and do some lunges around the office, body weight squats, etc. When the phone isn't busy I'll take a short break to do some stretching, too, which I guess isn't really "exercise" but it sure feels good after sitting on your bum haha. When I'm cleaning around here I'll do some hardcore dancing around the office while vacuuming and mopping.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I don't really, I sometimes will stand and stretch, or go for a quick walk when I take a bathroom break or something, but unfortunately we live in a sedentary world, so you have to adjust. Just be sure to get a workout in daily and you'll be OK.
    It sucks to have to sit and stare at screens all day (trust me I know, I'm currently sitting at work where I have five computer screens on my desk to navigate all our programs) and it's draining for sure you just have to remember to make time for yourself outside of work too! :)
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use a smaller cup so I have an excuse to go to the water cooler more often. I take the stairs and park in the furthest parking spot.