Need suggestions on protein shakes??

Options
I hear so much about protein shakes and I am interested in getting some. Not as a meal replacement, but to up my protein intake and I hear it helps when you do strength training. Any suggestions, I don't want to get something that taste nasty, so tell me what kind you guys are drinking and how it taste???

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb, and Optimum Nutrition. There's a lot of good ones out there! Usually better when mixed with more than water, no matter the brand :-)
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical to buy any protein powder because I was afraid I'd hate it (and it's expensive to buy and not like it). I bought some at the grocery store anyway. I got EAS Whey Protein Powder in Chocolate. It's really good! I think as long as you mix it up like adding fruit and milk/almond milk, etc it will come out good. I have the recipe on my blog that I've been using if you want to take a peek. http://toddlersnturbo.wordpress.com/recipes/
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    I get mine from Costco. It's from the makers of Muscle Milk (which is really good, but spendy) 100% Whey. I get the vanilla and if I'm doing it for just more protein I just mix it with 6 oz water and chug it. It's not that bad. If I'm doing it for a meal replacement, I make a smoothie.
  • blakegallen
    Options
    I enjoy Designer Whey, French Vanilla flavor. 100 calorie serving, definitely helps as a pre-workout supplement and, honestly, with healing faster. Tastes ... okay, better flavor with milk but I mix it with water because it dissolves better and I can chug it faster. I don't really drink it as a shake, more like a 1-cup sized shot.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use Precision Engineered whey in various flavours - mostly because it is the cheapest one here in Holland - Muscle Milk is 2x the price. I like the strawberry flavour the best. I use mine for breakfast in a smoothie with yoghurt, fruit juice or milk and berries. It comes in at around 300 calories.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate. I mix 2 scoops with water and half of a frozen banana and blend in my blender. It is SO GOOD. It tastes like a milk shake! I actually look foward to ending my workouts so I can have my shake!

P.S. I really love Muscle Milk...it has the best flavor of all the ones I have tried....but it also has the most calories and sugar.
  • DietDoneRight
    Options
    I use "Spirutien - For Low Carb Diets" Vanilla, Choc and strawberry - I buy several cans at time to save shipping on Amazon.com/
    I am a Whey Protien Fan - the others are too gritty for me and be careful, read lables some have lots of calories.
    I have had lapbad last year and drink 2 of these a day,
    Good Luck - Hope this helps!
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia, so I'm not sure if you are able to get this one in the U.S., but I too had the problem of which one to buy! They aren't cheap and I didn't want to be drinking something that tasted like a chemical! I finally bit the bullet and bought one in the hope that it tasted okay! It's BSC Whey Protein Isolate - chocolate flavour. It's one of the better one's over here because it's really low in carbs and fat, only 110 cals, but really high in protein. 26g for a 30ml drink. I just mix with low fat milk and it tastes exactly like a mcdonalds chocolate milkshake! It's delicious! Take a look at my food diary and the content amounts are in there. I have one every morning after my Insanity workout.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I drink Max Protein chocolate. I get it at GNC. It's 118 calories a scoop with 22 grams of protein, 2 grams fat, 3 grams carbs and 1 gram sugar. Its really good with just water. I drink mine with almond milk.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like GNC Amplified Wheybolic in Chocolate. I drink it with skim milk or water and I don't add anything else to it. With milk it tastes just like chocolate milk. They'll let you sample in the store.
  • ksgullickson
    Options
    Although there are different flavors and brands of protein powder, they all have a similar underlying taste that takes some getting used to. I recommend using a vanilla flavored protein powder and experimenting by adding different things to it. Things you can add include: orange juice, fruit (usually with bananas to sweeten), jell-o powder (if you aren't too concerned about sugar or maybe get sugar free), peanut butter, etc. One of my favorite things to add is cinnamon and Molly McButter. It tastes just like a cinnamon roll that way! :) Look for a whey protein isolate. NOW FOODS brand usually has good quality products. I use SOLGAR Whey To Go, which doesn't have any artificial sweeteners. Hope that helps!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I got some Nitro-Peak chocolate peanut butter yesterday after my work out with 8 oz of skim milk. It was really good but I had to chill it in the freezer a bit because it came out of the blender luke warm.

My boyfriend uses the vanilla flavor and puts a couple of frozen strawberries in it and has a strawberry vanilla shake.

Had it with my turkey burger for dinner not realizing how filling just the shake was going to be. I felt like I had eaten a cow for the rest of the night.

And if you are going to a store to a specialty store to get be wary of the salesman. They will try to get you to buy all kinds of diet pills, fat burners, vitamins etc.

I just told him I was sensitive to caffiene and can't do diet pills. He still some how successfully managed to sell my boyfriend some CLA pills : /
  • linsical
    linsical Posts: 34
    Options
    I bought Jillian Michaels Triple Chocolate Shake Whey Protine powder. I varey in how I use it. Sometimes I'll have it in the morning with Silk Very almond with breakfast to help recovery after my am workout. Other times I'll have it after dinner as a dessert and mix it with Silk Chocolate Almond Milk and 2 tablespoons of Peanut Butter - It's delicious and givea me that sweet and a little salty tooth I crave sometimes. I've tired mixing it with just water and it's okay but I can't sip it with just water.

Hope you find one that tastes good and works well with your meals :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectur is my fav. I get the fuzzy navel flavor normally, but my neighbor just got me hooked on the carribean cooler flavor so I'm going to be buying that today. If you do purchase this stay away from the ice tea flavor. I've heard its not that tasty.

If you have a Vitamin Store in your area purchase your protein shakes from there. If you don't like them you can return them and try something else.

Oh the potein has 23 g of protein per scoop. Mixes with water. Not chalky. No sugar. No carbs. Aspartme free.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha 6 when I can afford it, when I can't I go with the generic from Walmart. Either way, having a protein shake (in addition, I don't use as meal replacement either) seems to be the only way I can hit my daily protein goal. It gives me the most protein for the fewest calories. I've never regretted going this convenience route.
  • eslater1
    eslater1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Syntha 6 when I can afford it, when I can't I go with the generic from Walmart. Either way, having a protein shake (in addition, I don't use as meal replacement either) seems to be the only way I can hit my daily protein goal. It gives me the most protein for the fewest calories. I've never regretted going this convenience route.

I like Syntha 6 as well. In addition, I bought the generic store brand protein powder from Meijer, and I sprinkle some on my oatmeal in the morning. It's pretty good!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    whatever one you get, try and see if trial sachets are available, because both of the ones ive tried havent agreed with me, and theyre so expensive, its a lot of money to waste
  • mmannequinn
    mmannequinn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i buy GNC well being b-BUFF in chocolate chunk.....100 calories for 1 scoop.....it tastes pretty good w/ no after taste.