Feeling fat

Options
I just completed my 3rd full week on my weight loss journey, and am down 9 pounds.

I'm a little baffled thought because I feel bloated. My ring feels super tight and everything.
Is this from all the water I have been drinking?
I thought water was supposed to flush out salt that makes you bloated?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It may be a bloated time of the month for you. That still happens even while losing weight.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Track your sodium intake. Some processed foods are bombs. Ex: 1 gram of low fat american processed cheese can have 1,700 mg of sodium.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Where are you in your menstrual cycle?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking??? I drink about 4 to 7 eight-ounce cups a day of fluid. Remember that you are getting water in fruits and soups and other foods.

Otherwise, relaxand be patient. Your body will be going through lots of surprises during your weight loss. Enjoy the ride. <3
  • emilygraves1989
    emilygraves1989 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't attributed it to my cycle because it's been like this the whole 3 weeks.
    I've been drinking 8 16 oz glasses of water a day, hydro coach on my phone based it on my weight.

Maybe I need to cut sodium even further...
  • jemhh
    Options
    I haven't attributed it to my cycle because it's been like this the whole 3 weeks.
    I've been drinking 8 16 oz glasses of water a day, hydro coach on my phone based it on my weight.

Did you not feel bloated before you started your weight loss program?
  • emilygraves1989
    Options
    No, not like this, that's why I was thinking it had something to do with the water.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Have you upped your exercise level? You can retain water when you start to exercise. This tends to happen a lot when people start lifting weights, as muscle retains water to aid during the muscle repair process. But it can happen with other exercise too. Also, something as simple as walking with your arms swinging can make your fingers swell. I know that my hands swell/shrink a lot with the weather/temperature/humidity as well. Yesterday it was cool and dry here and my rings were falling off. Today it is warmer (not too hot though--50s) and rainy and my fingers are bigger.
  • emilygraves1989
    Options
    Ok, that makes me feel a little better. I have been alot more physically active the past 3 weeks. That explains it alot better. I've been doing about 2 miles of fast walking a day.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You are drinking a lot more water than you probably need. 64 oz or eight 8 0z glasses is what the recommended number is. Of course if you are actually thirsty enough to drink that much go for it. But it isn't necessary and certainly could be making you feel waterlogged.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot more fiber than normal, it will bloat you until your body gets used to it as well, I dont know if thats the case tho
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

That sounds like double the water that you should be drinking.

I thought it was 8 8oz glasses of fluids. And that is all fluids (not just water).

Could be why you're bloated.
  • tichondria
    tichondria Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I find that the more high fiber foods I eat the more bloated I felt.. also if I ate too many things that had flour/wheat. Or the norm of the "that time of the month" thing. Even though that is more of a "every other day" thing for me, hence why I'm on a diuretic lol.
  • emilygraves1989
    Options
    I had read that 8 eight ounce glasses of water was the intake required for a person of regular BMI and I am obese so the app on my phone calculated it for my weight. Maybe I'll scale back though.

Also I didn't know that all fluids count, I thought all other beverages were extra lol hey I'm learning
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Make sure you don't have kidney problems(or pregnancy!), otherwise it's fine
    P.S. Last March I started counting calories, exersising and stuff. I kept feeling swollen and heavier, so it turned out I was pregnant (only 3 weeks)
  • emilygraves1989
    Options
    Good grief don't make me nervous lol
  • jemhh
    edited December 2015
    Options
    She does have a good point though!

As for the water--the idea of needing to drink X number of glasses is outdated/unnecessary. Drink when you're thirsty. In general, pale urine means that you are well hydrated but I wouldn't be too fussed about checking that on an ongoing basis as long as you feel good/not thirsty. I do notice that I lose more weight on weeks when I drink more water but, at the same time, I'm generally more active during those weeks (working up more of a thirst) so I'm burning more calories.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

As for the water--the idea of needing to drink X number of glasses is outdated/unnecessary. Drink when you're thirsty. In general, pale urine means that you are dehydrated but I wouldn't be too fussed about checking that on an ongoing basis as long as you feel good/not thirsty. I do notice that I lose more weight on weeks when I drink more water but, at the same time, I'm generally more active during those weeks (working up more of a thirst) so I'm burning more calories.

I think it's dark urine that means you're dehydrated. The lighter your urine, the more hydrated you are. I always shoot for clear urine.

• jemhh
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »

As for the water--the idea of needing to drink X number of glasses is outdated/unnecessary. Drink when you're thirsty. In general, pale urine means that you are dehydrated but I wouldn't be too fussed about checking that on an ongoing basis as long as you feel good/not thirsty. I do notice that I lose more weight on weeks when I drink more water but, at the same time, I'm generally more active during those weeks (working up more of a thirst) so I'm burning more calories.

I think it's dark urine that means you're dehydrated. The lighter your urine, the more hydrated you are. I always shoot for clear urine.

You're absolutely right. I wrote that wrong. I just corrected it in my original post.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    lezerlies wrote: »

You're absolutely right. I wrote that wrong. I just corrected it in my original post.

We love you jemhh. .sometimes around turned get all We ;)