Fasting info needed

Options
Hi all. I'm trying to get information on fasting in general from those with experience. Whether it's an intermittent fast, the 5:2 diet, or some other fast, I would love your feedback. Did it help you lose weight? Were there other benefits? What's the downside other than hunger?

Some info about me. I have 60 pounds to lose. I have PCOS, not on medication, and I've been trying to lose the weight for three years. I am using CICO currently and am eating 1550 calories per day - I'm female and 5'7". I weigh all my calories except for liquids. Losing weight is always extremely slow so I'm just considering my options.

Appreciate all constructive comments!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to fast? because you are not losing weight?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've never fasted, but I have eaten green leaf lettuce (spring mix) for 3 days in a row with low fat dressing. Seems a lot easier to do. And at least you get some good nutrients. I added 2 glasses of skim milk a day.
    I still like to eat salads often. They really help with weight loss. Add beans, chickpeas, or grilled chicken breast.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've seen lots of folks say that going lower carb can help folks with PCOS lose - seems insulin resistance often goes hand in hand with PCOS.

I'm sure there's many groups here you could join. A brief Google search brought up a link to this one: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

Folks there may be able to give you better advice :)

~Lyssa
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    This is a good group for IF... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Give a read through some of the threads on the first page. Lots of info about the fasting methods you've listed.

I do keto with 17:7 IF. Realize that if you aren't losing with CICO, then your CICO calcs are wrong. IF won't increase weight loss, because you still have to eat the calories... you just do it in a smaller eating window than everyone else.

I like IF because I don't feel like I'm doing without. I eat almost constantly during my 7 hour window, so I feel like I'm eating a ton of food even when I'm not.
  • 2failure
    2failure Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Fasting is great especially to reset insulin levels. Something as little as fasted cardio in the morning all the way to a 24 hour fast is something I try to incorporate a couple times a month. I tried IF and I noticed increase in energy levels but I started to shrivel up, probably because my 8 hour window consisted of clean meals and should have been more cals. Just make sure whatever fasting route you take to stay hydrated with water. YouTube Brandon Campbell he is a big promoter on fasting and has some interesting things to say.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What meds are you on? I think I would die if I tried to fast on metformin. It's taken me a long time to figure out how to modify my diet to tolerate the metformin side effects.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great links. It will take me a while to read through them all.

As I stated above, I am not on the PCOS meds. They make me very sick. It is not uncommon for those with PCOS to have difficulties losing weight even when following a CICO diet. I meticulously weigh my foods and am certain that the majority of my logging is accurate.

I haven't even decided to fast. I'm just weighing my options in case I have trouble losing weight like I have in the past.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS mostly because of the IR. I was gaining on very little calories and eating once a day. CICO really doesn't apply as true to those with IR as it does to the normal population, mostly because of the excess insulin being dumped into our systems when we have high carbs. What has helped the IR and the weightloss the most is really eating higher protein. When I do, my insulin is under control and Metformin isn't needed.
  • carolann05
    carolann05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been fasting (using the 5:2 / Fast Diet) since November 30th, 2015. My started weight was 190 (my heaviest) and today I am 179, so I've lost 11 pounds so far. I'm 28 y/o and 5'4", female. I fast on Mondays and Thursdays (max 500 calories) and eat sensibly the remaining 5 days. A fast day is typically black coffee for breakfast, sometimes another small coffee late afternoon, and a giant salad with protein for dinner. Tons of water throughout the day.

Things to note:
    - Fasting days get easier over time! They really do. It helps to know that you can eat the next day. Whatever cravings I have during a fast day, I eat the next day (without overindulging).
    - Some argue that you will overcompensate the day after fasting. I believed I would too - I don't. I go to bed with hunger, so I expect to wake up ravenous - I don't. I'm actually eating less calories per week than I did when I followed myfitnesspal's CR of 1200/day.
    - I feel in control. I now remember what actual hunger feels like as opposed to bored/emotional eating. This is HUGE for me and why I think this could very well be the key to success (for me - everyone is different and you have to find what works for you!)
    - For me, it's easy. Calorie restriction is really hard for me. I felt like I was punishing myself 7 days a week. Now I feel like I'm punishing myself 2 days a week, which honestly I wouldn't even call punishing. I look at it as taking a short break from eating and a chance to heavily hydrate. I'm not good at planning my meals, recording my meals, tracking every little thing that enters my mouth. I can do it short term, but then get lazy. I now estimate on my non-fasting days and track fast days only.
    - I feel like my IBS symptoms are getting better. I've read that giving your digestive system a break on fast days can help with GI problems, and I think that's what is happening to me. Maybe it's coincidence, but my gut tells me it's not (pun intended :P).

PS. My boyfriend is doing this with me and has lost 14 pounds in the same time frame. He's 27 y/o, 5'11", from 215 lbs to 201 lbs.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS mostly because of the IR. I was gaining on very little calories and eating once a day. CICO really doesn't apply as true to those with IR as it does to the normal population, mostly because of the excess insulin being dumped into our systems when we have high carbs. What has helped the IR and the weightloss the most is really eating higher protein. When I do, my insulin is under control and Metformin isn't needed.

Yes, it does.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I had good results with 5:2. Yes, I was hungry at times, but it helped that I had days that I could eat more. It's just another way to create a calorie deficit, and it's not for everyone.