Late night cravings

Options
Ive gained 40lbs in 2015 alone. I started some medication and one side effect is weight gain, however im trying so hard to lose it but i cant. I have always been 125ish through my 20's. Im always wanting to eat late

Replies

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Drink a lot more water... Then drink some more water. Medication that makes you gain weight sucks!! Are you still on it? If so maybe you'll have to allow yourself to be heavier than you want if the medicine is helping you stay healthy. Also most people don't stay the weight they were when in there 20's, close for some, but it's not realistic. Log food accurately, drink lots of water and choose lower carb options. But for eating late.... Try making some tea, do your nails, slather on hand cream and "soak" in it for an hour, brush your teeth earlier with extra toothpaste, and go to bed earlier!! Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Timing of one's eating isn't inherently a barrier to weight loss. For example, you can "save up" some calories from earlier in the day to cover a late-night snack.

But, in experience, it's important to experiment a bit, and see what works best for *you* - everyone is different.

Some people do better if they eat lightly at the beginning of the day, with heavier meals later. Some people do better on multiple small meals across the day, some on 3 main meals and 2-3 small snacks, some on 2 or 3 big meals only. Personally, I'm *much* more likely to crave snacks in the evening if I *don't* get a solid breakfast with plenty of protein - improbable though that may seem.

Another set of variables to experiment with is the composition of your diet (within healthful limits, of course). Some people find protein-rich foods more filling/satiating, others fats (in reasonable portions of course), yet others high-volume fibrous foods like some veggies.

There are even people who do some variation on "Intermittent Fasting" (IF), eating only during certain time limits each day, or minimal amounts on a couple of days and more on the remaining days each week.

So, my suggestion would be to pick a strategy that seems like it might work for you, try it for 2-3 days at least, and see how it goes. If it isn't working, tweak it. Keep experimenting, and I'll bet you can find an approach that fits your needs.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep when I get hungry at night lol
  • kristenmariemuldoon393
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My night cravings pretty much went away when I started eating a good breakfast on a regular basis.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't ever get night cravings but when I do it's rare and I eat fruits mostly.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A glass of skim milk is all I am allowing myself. Log it the next day.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Ive gained 40lbs in 2015 alone. I started some medication and one side effect is weight gain, however im trying so hard to lose it but i cant. I have always been 125ish through my 20's. Im always wanting to eat late

I just came off meds for a similar reason, I wake up in the night literally starving.

I have a banana and apple at my side as my safety net!