Fitness Bucket List

I am trying to put together a fitness Bucket list for myself. I am 36 years old and on Sunday I ran 9 miles. I am pretty sure that is the farthest I have ever ran in my life. I should back up and when I write that I ran 9 miles I should have written slow jog but what the heck, I did it. I am proud of it. I have looked up how to train for a marathon and read about it. I have watched You Tube videos about it. I am on day 56 from when I started being more healthy in a number of different ways. I started off walking but I moved every day from that point. I am officially hooked on fitness and one of my fitness bucket list ideas/goals is to run a marathon. I don't know if i can do it but I am going to try. Obviously I have a ways to go to run my marathon. I am looking for other things that I can add to my bucket list. I am wondering if any of you have a bucket list? Or if any of you would like to join me in putting together a complete fitness bucket list? I would like to hear what is on your bucket list?

Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    I don't know if its a bucket list item rather than a goal, but I'd like for once in my life "score" in the healthy/normal range for bmi, bf%, and in a fitness test. I'm part way there on the fitness side, but a ways off on the rest.

I'm going to get back to running probably by the end of Jan. I topped out somewhere around 7 miles a few years back. I'm still kicking myself for quitting!
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    If you ran 9 miles on Sunday, you can definitely train for a marathon. Most training programs are between 16-24 weeks long and your long run starts around 8 miles and works it's way up to about 20. I recently read a quote that says "a 12 minute mile is the same distance as a 6 minute mile." So, don't worry about pace. I think a Marathon is definitely a great goal. You can totally do it! Good luck!
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Backpack Ireland
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Squat and deadlift 2x bodyweight. Run a half marathon.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    One of my big goals is to run the Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland. It combines two of my loves!

But before that, I want to tackle a 10k race this year. I can run 10k, but it's different doing it in a race setting.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Play tennis with Rafael Nadal :D Can't think of anything that would make me happier than having Rafa give me a few pointers!
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    thanks brenstar05. I think i can do it. Sometimes it is hard to imagine some of the milage that I have ahead but everything but the long runs on the weekends I know i can do right now. My goal is to jog/run it all. I don't want to have to walk to finish.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I ran my marathon at 36 and it was definitely one of the high points of my life. I have runners knee and could only train 25 miles a week. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful race (NY City Marathon).

My exercise bucket list is to do a complete pull up.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    My "bucket list" is a chart containing 94 things at the moment. :grin:

I've got it divided into categories: Cycling, Sports, Arts, Education, Computer, Travel, Fun.

Within Cycling (which is my main focus), I've got a list of events and challenges I'd like to do.
    Within Sports, I've got a list of sports I'd like to try, or learn, or improve my skills at.

I should revisit the list ... I created it in 2013. There may be things on the list I've done now, some I've lost interest in, and new things to add. :)
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Bike 100 miles (century)
    Olympic triathlon followed by a half distance triathlon
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    edited December 2015
    I've had a fitness bucket list for as long as I can remember, and it's one of the most satisfying things to cross off. I'm also a medal junkie, and it's fun to watch them pile up :smile:

Current list:
    - Tough Mudder
    - Yuengling Shamrock Half
    - Cincinnati Flying Pig Half
    - Star Wars Half @ Disney World - Dark Side Challenge
    - Avengers Half @ DisneyLand - Infinity Gauntlet Challenge
    - Triathlon (swimming is NOT my strong suit)
    - Century ride (bike)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm 48 and started running in September.

My bucket list?

Run 10km.
    Get my 5 km time under 30 minutes.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    100 mile trail ultra
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    My goal is to hike to the summit of Kilimanjaro and stand on the roof of Africa.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Muscle-up. 'Nough said.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    In no particular order
    • Deadlift 405lbs (4 plates on each side)
    • Squat 315lbs (3 plates)
    • Bench 225lbs (2 plates)
    • Join the 1000 club (I'll have to add 55 pounds to the goals mentioned above)
    • Run a marathon
    • Complete a triathlon
    • Run the stairs at the Philly library
    • Catch a marlin (probably be the hardest workout of my life)

These are just the fitness related items. 1 down, 7 to go.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    From most attainable to least attainable (in my mind):
    -Spartan Beast (hopefully this spring)
    -start bouldering
    -sub-19min 5k
    -Deadlift 450lb
    -Squat 425lb
    -Bench 275lb
    -marathon sub 4hr
    -compete on American Ninja Warrior LOL
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    An unassisted pull-up!
    Join the women's 500 club (weightlifting). WHOA! I just checked and I am only FIVE POUNDS away!!!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    I don't have a lot of my bucket list-I probably should take the time to give it more thought. I had one-run a 5K. I completed that last year. Did two more and achieved my next on the list-get the 5k time under 30 minutes.
    I had added another to the list-complete a 10K, but then I developed some leg pain that is better managed but still undiagnosed. I think I can resume my hopes of a completed 10K.
    I'd also like to accomplish an unassisted pull up.
    I restarted swimming after 18 years hiatus-I'd like to get my 500 time back under 7 minutes to start.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    My goal is to hike to the summit of Kilimanjaro and stand on the roof of Africa.

Good one! I did Mt. Kenya a few years ago and it was great. I'd love to do Kilimanjaro.

But for now, what I want to scratch off my fitness bucket list in the next few months, is a measly pull up. I can't do even just one!