Hummus anyone??

Options
mrsbrown2k1
mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
Can anyone recommend any good Hummus recipes??

Replies

• marthamae813
    marthamae813 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump! I always buy mine in the store but I really wanna learn to make my own
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    Hummus is SO easy to play around with! I like to make a cheap and easy basic one, i use one can of drained garbanzo beans, goes in the food processor with a few cloves of chopped garlic, juice from a lemon or two and stream in some olive oil. I like mine really lemony, so I put two lemons usually, and sometimes i'll add some lemon pepper seasoning. this will make a LOT of hummus off one can. (If the consistency is too thick, stream in some reserved liquid from the can of beans until you get it right). Just keep trying it and adding things in until you get a combo you like!
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I also just saw a recipe for Edamame Hummus (use edamame instead of garbanzo beans) but pretty much the same idea, I believe it was in Women's Health, but I'll have to find it and I'll post!
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laurad1406!

I love it and play with the taste all the time by adding hot peppers, fresh rosemary....mmmmm I know what I want to snack on now
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    BUMP I LOVE HUMMUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Love it but never made any.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I make it often but it's never as good as shop bought as I never dare put enough salt and oil in as it is in the supermarket.
  • fortworthbret
    Options
    This increases calories, but...........

Adding a teaspoon of olive oil on the top of the hummus when served makes a wonderful presentation, and really kicks it off well as far as flavor.
  • oldscratch
    oldscratch Posts: 146
    Options
    just asked my gf to pick up some from fresh n easy. i have made it, but theres is soooo good. the red pepper one....yum
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I leave out the tahini paste to make up for the extra fat and cal of adding olive oil
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    Hummus is SO easy to play around with! I like to make a cheap and easy basic one, i use one can of drained garbanzo beans, goes in the food processor with a few cloves of chopped garlic, juice from a lemon or two and stream in some olive oil. I like mine really lemony, so I put two lemons usually, and sometimes i'll add some lemon pepper seasoning. this will make a LOT of hummus off one can. (If the consistency is too thick, stream in some reserved liquid from the can of beans until you get it right). Just keep trying it and adding things in until you get a combo you like!
    mine start off this way but i also add a little red onion and soy sauce. in worked in a bagel shop YEARS ago and we made it this way. would get about 20 people a day asking if we sold it by the tubs and the answer was always no. delicious!!
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    OHHH I really like the idea of the red onion and soy sauce....going to have to try that!!!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas for hummas! I am going to try some out this weekned. This is something I've never tried to make. Always been kind of scared of the stuff.
  • unita
    unita Posts: 7
    Options
    Rachel Allen is an Irish chef and I find that whenever I use one of her recipes, it always comes out great.

Here's link to her recipe

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/1274/hommus

mmmm
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    I've found that making it in the blender instead of the food processor makes it really creamy like the store bought stuff. It's a little trickier because you don't want to add too much liquid, but it's so good!
  • healthymom2011
    Options
    Where do you find the Hummus in the stores, like which section?
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Healthymom, I usually see it where they keep the fresh olives and gourmet cheeses/deli meat. At our local Giant, that is at the end of the produce aisle.
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    going to try this.