Where to start with Strength Training?

Options
I admit to enjoying cardio work-outs much more than I do strength training, especially now with the nice weather and I can get outside and do a lot of activities with my kids. However, I know that I need to balance it with some strength training. The problem is two-fold: one, I find strength training to be boring and two (which probably plays into my boredom) - I really don't know what I'm supposed to be doing. I started off small with my 2lb weights doing bicep curls, lunges and similar exercises. My husband has the Body By Jake - Tower 200 set up and last night I tried it out. But how much should I be doing? Are there some guidelines I can follow for a beginner that set out what I should be working on and how much? Should I do it every day or just 3-4 days a week. How often? How many repetitions should I complete, etc.?

Thanks!

Replies

• trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, I hired a personal trainer for only two sessions...he set me up on a plan that I did at home and he advised me how to progress. Even to this day, I remember and practice some of the forms/thoughts that I learned at those two sessions! If you can find a trainer thta will do that (this one KNEW that it was a very short-term commitment to hire him!), it's a great start!!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I found "Weight Training for Dummies" helpful and common sense. It covered everything I wondered about and stuff I never considered.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 is a great beginner program. You add weight every sing day which will keep you engaged by setting new personal records daily. Be sure to take some time and read about/watch videos on the exercises to learn proper technique. Videos and descriptions are available on the site for each exercise..

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

This is the program I used to hit the numbers in my signature.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    StrongLifts 5x5 is a great beginner program. You add weight every sing day which will keep you engaged by setting new personal records daily. Be sure to take some time and read about/watch videos on the exercises to learn proper technique. Videos and descriptions are available on the site for each exercise..

Is this something you can do when you don't have free-standing weights?
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Is this something you can do when you don't have free-standing weights?

It is a free weight (Olympic weights) barbell program
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The p90x system has a nice balance of all things fitness. Strength training, cardio, core and yoga. It gives you a workout routine to follow and incorporates them all into the routine. Keeps your body guessing and your mind engaged.

I just started it about 40 days ago and LOVE IT. Love it so much I am thinking about being a beachbody coach.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're using free weights or anything...but bodybuilders.com is a great site to find exercises...also Women's Health has great calisthenics (?) like push-ups, sit-ups, etc...there's tons of routines on there. I use both for my gym work outs...3 days is weights, 2 days is push ups and stuff..5 days of cardio (weekends don't count but I'm still active)
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

this.
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!