Half-marathon training plans

carolinedb
carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I'm a few weeks into c25k, and it's going REALLY well. Like, I'm surprised how well. I'm really enjoying the running, much to my surprise. There are two half marathons a year in my city (Atlanta), and I was looking at Hal Higdon's half marathon training guide, and it looks pretty doable for someone who has recently finished c25k. I would have about a month in between training plans to just run and build up my base.

Anyone have any suggestions, or a training plan they've used successfully?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    I am sure that they all work -- but I have two words for you...
    Jeff Galloway ... I live and die by the Galloway method and the training plans! :)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Hal Higdon's is the way to go. I used a modified version for my first 10-mile race and enjoyed it. A word of advice though, if you just did c25k, a jump to a half-marathon is rather large and requires a SERIOUS commitment to the training regime. If you think you can handle that, go for it. My personal suggestion would be to try doing a 10k first and then a half after that. But your mind is the biggest obstacle a lot of times, so if you THINK you can do it, you CAN do it.

Good luck!
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    I used Hal Hingdon to train for the Disney half marathon in July. It was a blast! I definitely got injured though, so my best advice is start training early. I made the mistake of trying to cram as many runs as I could into my schedule, which led to injury. However, I was able to complete the marathon with a decent time. Make sure you eat enough calories and REST. There were days when I felt I could run alot more than what the schedule said I neeeded to do, but trust me, don't. Rest is as important as the running. Good luck and if you want any adivce or encouragement go ahead and add me as a friend :)
  • I always recommend the plans you'll find in Runner's World. Bob Glover's plans in The Runner's Handbook are good too. Most are much of a muchness really, I find, as long as you go to a reputable source.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I jumped straight from a 5K into the Hal Higdon half marathon training plan and it worked out well for me.

But chrissheehy is right, make sure you have time to commit to those longer runs and a great support group for when you're 'not feeling it', because it's a pretty intense jump. At least, it was for me!

Running is contagious, see if you can't find a buddy to run or at least bike alongside you on your longer runs, it'll make it that much easier to get things done. And make sure you're eating to fuel your body. Lots of healthy carbs and protein!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I always send new runners to Higdon's plans.

Edit to add: take your time so you can ramp up the miles slowly so as to avoid injury
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I'm shamelessly stealing this one from the UK charity Guide Dogs For The Blind (though I'm not running for them - I promise to give a quid if I see anyone collecting, honest!)

I like it as it's all by time, has a nice steady progression, mixes things up a bit and allows you to incorporate Jeff Galloway's run/walk ratios if that's the way you're going (and I suspect I will). There's loads of other tips about gear, warm-ups, nutrition, stretching, and the race itself too.
    http://www.guidedogsgiving.org.uk/goforguidedogs/downloads/4_Half_Marathon_Beginner_training_plan.pdf
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    runnersworld.com has some great FREE plans.
  • Amberlin
    Amberlin Posts: 118 Member
    I started with C25k last summer, and have since completed a 5 km run and am training for a half marathon. It is a huge commitment and is hard on the body. I am currently in week four of a run/walk program I found on the scotiabank Vancouver half marathon site. It seems to be working well, I run 3 days a week and do cross training and strength training on 3 days and one full day of rest. Add me if you want to talk running.

Biggest thing, listen to your body. Running is hard on your joints, muscles, back, knees etc. so don't push yourself too far. Aim for small goals and small increases in time/distance!!

You can do it!

Welome to the world of running.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Thanks for the tips! I did forget to mention I used to be a runner (between 5 and 10 miles a day) in my formerly super fit life, so I feel like my body's already starting to readjust to the training. I'm hoping that will help me with training!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Since you have been a runner before you should be able to ramp up your miles rather quickly once you get back to where you can run three miles. The body seems to have a memory and it is much easier and quicker returning to an old finess level than it is getting there the first time.

My suggestion is to increase your weekly EASY miles as quickly as you can without getting excessively tired or hurt. Get back to between 20 and 30 miles a week and keep it there for about a month. Then should be well prepared to start a HM training plan.

If you were doing ten milers before then getting back to 20 miles a week probably won't take more than three or four weeks.
This discussion has been closed.