Any success stories with just resistance bands?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
Soooo, I found out today that at 120 lbs, I am just 10 lbs from my goal weight! :D For the next five weeks or so, I'm increasing my calorie intake by 100-200 calories, and considering how consistent my weight loss has been, I'll likely be around 115 lbs some time in January. When that happens, I'm going to decrease my cardio workouts, work on strength, and begin preparation for maintenance. The problem is, I cannot afford weights, and even if I could afford them, heavy weights are not practical for my living situation right now, and I strongly dislike the weights section of the gym, so I've decided to settle for resistance band training with Chalean Extreme. I see mixed opinions from Google, and it seems that most people used weights with CLX, so I thought I'd ask here on MFP. Has anyone had success building muscle just from resistance bands? If so, could you please share some pictures and the workout routine you did/are doing? Thank you!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer and we use resistance bands along with weights, TRX, stablilty balls, BOSU balls, etc. You definitely can gain strength through the use of resistance bands. I don't know if you can increase muscle mass, because that's very hard to do anyway and requires very specific techniques which I'm sure others will fill you in on. You can vary the amount of resistance you get because some exercises you can handle more resistance than others. You can get heavier bands as you progress. It's not the same as lifting a 200 lb barbell, but I can't do that anyway. A beginner to intermediate can make lots of progress. You will get info on exercises with your band and I'm sure there are lots of videos on you tube and google. I don't have pics to post. Check out a thrift store like Goodwill for weights, both dumbbells and plates. My store always has quite a few at very reasonable prices. I hope this helps. Congrats on your successful weight loss!
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are great to make you stronger! I also like that they are inexpensive, portable and versatile.
  • keithmustloseweight
    Options
    Scooby1961 (youtube) has some resistance band excercise videos
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I work with a personal trainer and we use resistance bands along with weights, TRX, stablilty balls, BOSU balls, etc. You definitely can gain strength through the use of resistance bands. I don't know if you can increase muscle mass, because that's very hard to do anyway and requires very specific techniques which I'm sure others will fill you in on. You can vary the amount of resistance you get because some exercises you can handle more resistance than others. You can get heavier bands as you progress. It's not the same as lifting a 200 lb barbell, but I can't do that anyway. A beginner to intermediate can make lots of progress. You will get info on exercises with your band and I'm sure there are lots of videos on you tube and google. I don't have pics to post. Check out a thrift store like Goodwill for weights, both dumbbells and plates. My store always has quite a few at very reasonable prices. I hope this helps. Congrats on your successful weight loss!

I'm glad that there is hope for me. Just a gain in strength and toning is good enough for me. Your reply was indeed helpful. Thank you so much! :)
    Resistance bands are great to make you stronger! I also like that they are inexpensive, portable and versatile.

I agree. That's why I'm looking into them. Thanks for the response!
    Scooby1961 (youtube) has some resistance band excercise videos

Thanks! I'll check out the channel.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to add resistance band workouts in the NY. I'll check that channel out too :)
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to try them. I haven't yet. I have some, but reading this really helps. Thanks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!