Can cakes and baked goods be frozen?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
To keep the house warm in winter. Have chest freezer. Wouldn't mind being able to have a little goodie all year long that I made at home instead of store bought. Ex: Angel food cake.

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yes! I freeze baked items all the time. With and without frosting.

Also, butter, milk, bread, tortillas, bagels, yogurt, cheese, can all be frozen
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wrap them fairly tightly, so there's as little space as possible for ice to form (I use wax paper -- you can recycle the bags inside cereal boxes and similar products for this purpose --aluminum foil also works) and then put them inside freezer bags or air tight food storage containers rated for the freezer.

Baked goods also have the advantage of thawing fairly quickly at room temperature, especially if we're talking about individual cookies, slices of cake or pie, rather than an entire cake. It's a great way to not feel like you have to eat the entire cake before it goes stale or soggy or moldy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Wrapped airtight to prevent freezer burn. :)
    My mom likes to slice some frozen bread to put in the toaster and put the rest back in the freezer.
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/shopping-storing/freezing/prevent-freezer-burn
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I made my Christmas cookies I did them all over a month ago. You must make the dough, roll it in little balls freeze the balls on a cookie sheet and then bag them up good and put back in the freezer. Then you can simply pull out a couple of cookies whenever you want them and quickly bake just the amount you want from the frozen dough. It's also good for when someone pops in. People love to think you baked cookies just for them.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Wow, impressive ideas. Especially the one about freezing the balls. Fresh baked cookies... anytime.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I freeze all of it, even creamy cakes but I Eat them as ice cream since cream can't be thawed properly. Still delicious tho :)
  • flrancho
    flrancho Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    They can be, but I don't. I don't think they're as good after they've been frozen.
  • DANIELLEJARVIS
    DANIELLEJARVIS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Freezing in individual portions is a very handy and economical way to prevent waste.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    flrancho wrote: »
    They can be, but I don't. I don't think they're as good after they've been frozen.

I agree...I've tried freezing baked muffins and they just never thaw out correctly

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have made numerous cakes over the years and have always frozen them in individual portions. Lately I got tired of just taking a piece out and popping it in the microwave right away, so I now let it thaw first.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Wow, impressive ideas. Especially the one about freezing the balls. Fresh baked cookies... anytime.

Yeah, It works great until your husband figures out that cookies never completely freeze due to all that butter and starts pulling out your frozen cookie balls and eating them. I thought I had 3 dozen...I've only got a dozen left. lol. cookie dough pops.