help......water!

Options
Can someone please explain why some say drinking loads of water will aid weight loss. And does a cup of tea count as a cup of water?

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes, a cup of tea counts as water. So does juice and soda.

Some people think drinking water instead of eating eases your urge to eat. I think that's rubbish. I know the difference between my hunger and thirst.

But if it works for them, no worries.
  • Soaringhigh2
    Soaringhigh2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks Orphia. Helpful advice.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I drink about 4 - 7 cups of fuid depending on my other foods for the day (fruit, soup, . . . ) and how much I work out.
  • Soaringhigh2
    Options
    Thanks RodaRose. Is there any particular reason for that number or does it just feel right?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a load of twaddle talked about water - funny that we are the only animals that seem to "need" to count our hydration intake rather than rely on thirst signals. :smile:

Interesting read....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774
  • Soaringhigh2
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    There's a load of twaddle talked about water - funny that we are the only animals that seem to "need" to count our hydration intake rather than rely on thirst signals. :smile:

Interesting read....

What a fascinating read. Thank you so much for this thought provoking article.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks RodaRose. Is there any particular reason for that number or does it just feel right?
    It feels right. :) If I had an outside job or hobby in the sun or doing tons of cardio, I would need more of course.

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Actually anything with caffeine does not count as water. Caffeine is a diuretic and dehydrates you, just like alcohol does. So no, do not count tea if it has caffeine. Most people don't drink enough water but drink other stuff instead, stuff that sometimes adds a lot of calories such as soda or juice, which is why we are encouraged to drink water. I don't think there is a good substitute for water. I stopped drinking diet soda this year and now all I crave us water, but that's just me.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Actually anything with caffeine does not count as water. Caffeine is a diuretic and dehydrates you, just like alcohol does. So no, do not count tea if it has caffeine. Most people don't drink enough water but drink other stuff instead, stuff that sometimes adds a lot of calories such as soda or juice, which is why we are encouraged to drink water. I don't think there is a good substitute for water. I stopped drinking diet soda this year and now all I crave us water, but that's just me.

No.

I mean, yes caffeine is a diuretic, but the effect is extremely negligible compared to the actual amount of water in a caffeinated drink.
  • Soaringhigh2
    Options
    Thanks for these tips dramaqueen45 and juggernault1974. It's clearly a huge area. Lots to think about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Interesting read....

And if our hunger cues worked we wouldn't be overweight :). Other animals have issues with this as well.

I think this from your link is good to highlight:

"...people in temperate climates who are not doing sustained physical exercise do need around six to eight cups per day but that can be contained in food, alcohol or caffeinated beverages.

Yes, beer and coffee do not dehydrate you to any noticeable extent (there's a nice paper where some medical students got to drink quite a lot of beer and had their urine studied - British Medical Journal (Clin Res Ed), December 1982, Acute biochemical responses to moderate beer drinking, Gill GV)..."

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Popular myth, but incorrect. europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618:
    ...The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health.

In layman's terms, caffeine is about as much of a diuretic as water itself is, and does not negate the water intake which comes along with it. So anything with caffeine can indeed be counted as water for the purposes of hydrating your body.
  • Soaringhigh2
    Options
    Just read the full article. Very useful AnvilHead, thanks.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I drink 16 ounces of water 1/2 hour before a meal. I add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice concentrate. I heard it can aid in digestion. But I think it also makes me eat less.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water, it helps on reaching my 10k steps with all the toilet breaks.

On a serious note, I don't think most people drink enough water, I don't think my intake does much for my hunger personally, but I look better when I am well hydrated. My skin is not dry and much clearer, my hair looks shinier and I find it easier to determine if I am hungry or thirsty.
  • coachfeliciad
    coachfeliciad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It absolutely aids in weight loss. It cleans out your body, it suppresses your appetite, it aids digestion and it helps to keep your body from retaining water. I drink at least a gallon a day. I carry my jug around with me everywhere I go...tacky looking maybe lol but it keeps me on track.