What do you eat for lunch?

Options
I'm having a really hard time coming up with healthy options for lunch. I'm a stay at home mom, and I don't usually think about lunch until I'm completely starving. I like turkey, but don't tend to but it because we're on a very tight budget and it's expensive. Before MFP I'd make a box of mac & cheese and eat that (yes, the whole box), but that's almost a whole days worth of calories. I was just wondering what other people eat for lunch.

Replies

• SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat leftovers from the night before. Do you have a crockpot? You can make some really cheap and healthy things in it, and it lasts all week. I'd be happy to message you some recipes if you're interested!
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Salad greens and a can of tuna is my friend. :)
  • MNM1010
    MNM1010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch, if its not leftovers, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 cucumber cut up, healthy choice thomas english muffin w/ 1 tbs peanut butter. Pretzels for snack.
  • skinnydaydreams
    Options
    Usually bread with jam/choco/light cheese/ham or with soup
    Sometimes a salade (when I know I'm going to eat at a restaurant or eat fastfood)
  • peripah
    peripah Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm also a stay-at-home mom and today I'm going to have two eggs, over-easy, two slices of whole wheat toast with light Cheez Whiz and baby cucumbers.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    salads
    rice mixed with stir-fried veggies
    an egg sandwich
    fruit salad w/ crackers
    yogurt & cereal
  • shannontrevino
    shannontrevino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to have 1/2 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1/2 small Avacado diced, 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, 1/2 cup diced cucumber. (Good Protein, no Fat, 3 servings of Veggies)
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Usually I eat leftovers from the night before. Do you have a crockpot? You can make some really cheap and healthy things in it, and it lasts all week. I'd be happy to message you some recipes if you're interested!

I'm interested in some recipes if you willing to hand them out. :happy:
  • poutyp11
    poutyp11 Posts: 10
    Options
    I tend to eat a grilled cheese sandwhich, egg salad sandwich or a turkey hotdog. I usually eat baked chips along with it. I am also a stay at home mom and try to make something that my 3 year old will eat as well and still "semi healthy" and stays within my calories.
  • mommyjj92
    mommyjj92 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do have a crock pot. It never occurred to me to actually cook something to have for lunch all week then. Recipes would be great! I eat leftovers when we have them, but that's not terribly often, because my husband doesn't like leftovers, so I tend to cook only what we'll eat, because I threw so much food out when we were first married.
  • Bobbejo
    Bobbejo Posts: 12
    Options
    I work so I need to pack my lunch in the morning. I always make a salad and include some meat either leftover meat from the night(s) before or the chicken in a can. I try to stay away from deli meat if possible. And then some sort of fruit.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Lunch is my poultry meal.
    Turkey or Chicken

On higher carb days I'll add sweet potatoes

For Fats Its usually either
    Almonds, Sunflower seeds, or Avocado
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love this as well!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Lately I've either had a Luna bar and some fruit if I'm at work, or if I'm at home I'll have half a whole wheat pita pocket with tuna and laughing cow light tomato mozzarella cheese wedge, with some special K crackers or carrots and hummus.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I usually make a big pot of something, or a slow cooker full of something, and then freeze it in portion sizes. I just take one out in the morning and it acts as a cooler in my lunch bag too.

* Vegetarian Chili
    * Vegetable Soup
    * Chicken Soup
    * Black bean and rice bake

If I don't have something already made, then I'll make a sandwich. Tuna usually. Or I'll throw a bag of frozen edamame in my lunch bag., Or make a salad. with nuts or eggs for protein.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Now that it's warm weather, I have a large salad every day with:

* A can of tuna, low sodium deli turkey, or homemade baked chicken. Depending on calorie/nutritional needs for the day I might add red/black/white beans, fat free shredded cheese, etc. Hummus with veggies is good too!

* In warmer months, I like homemade soup. That can be really cheap to make. Lots of vegetables, chicken breast, chicken sausage, beans etc. Goes a long way, too. You can add some brown rice or whole grain pasta, too.

I know when I wait until I'm starving to eat I make less healthy choices. Maybe making enough for two or three days at once would help. On Sundays, I boil eggs, chop vegetables, wash lettuce and bake chicken. Then, if I find myself starving, I can eat a salad or a boiled egg/white while I prepare something healthy.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Mic_Bea
    Mic_Bea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: You go girl. It looks like you are in control.
  • lauraashley614
    Options
    Leftovers typically, but sandwiches (use 80 cal bread), fish like tilapia is pretty cheap and filling with the right spices and sides... When you don't have much money (like me) you have to get create!
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Basically I have a small amount of protein (1 oz of grilled or sauteed chicken breast), sautee some veggies to put on top of it and have it with brown rice and a spinach salad. I also have a piece of fruit after.

I am being daring this week and substituting my rice for a whole wheat sandwich pocket, but the rice is more filling so I may go back to the tried and true once they are gone. But I will wait to see how the week goes!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I love making taco salads! Quick and easy. You can either use pre-cooked chicken fajita strips and warm them up on the stove or microwave... or ground turkey with taco seasoning. I put the chicken or turkey (3 oz) on a bed of shredded romaine lettuce and top off with 1/4 cup pico de gallo, 1/4 cup black beans and 1 tbsp medium taco sauce. Yum... I think I'll have that for lunch today! You can always prepare the ground turkey in advance so it is just ready to warm up at lunch time. This meal is only 251 calories but the sodium count is a little high. Whenever I make tacos or taco salads, I always try to prepare lower sodium meals the rest of the day.