Those days where you just don't care...

Options
So I'm having one of those days where I just don't care about my diet. I'm staying good out of habit, but there's nothing I want more than to go upstairs to the work cafeteria and get a chocolate-y coffee, or a chocolate chip cookie, or a meatball sub. I just want to eat everything and I'm not sure why. A huge part of my brain is saying 'it doesn't matter, it's just a few hundred calories' and then the other part cares way too much and will feel like a failure if I eat anything else.

Do y'all get in these moods ever? How do you get out of them?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I get this way around TOM. I wait for it to pass. Sometimes I indulge it a little, but refuse to feel bad about it. Life happens.
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I get this way around TOM. I wait for it to pass. Sometimes I indulge it a little, but refuse to feel bad about it. Life happens.

Usually I'm super good at TOM... like moreso than usual. Granted, I get so nauseous eating a bunch is usually a feat!
    I'm waiting for it to pass, but I can't work out tonight and that's making everything worse. ugh.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are just frustrated. Your ticker says you've lost 10lbs already. Think of how good that feels. You've obviously been working hard. Can you rearrange your day and make the cookie fit into your goals? I've had days when I'm over by hundreds and in the end, it really doesn't matter if it's a one off. Just a smaller loss that week.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I buckle down and grab that willpower and strength and force myself into a good workout, usually in the middle of it, I become really focused and end up doing double!, I feel so much better after working out
  • kharve09
    kharve09 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I always have terrible cravings. Go ahead and have something chocolaty if it's what you really want. Just grab something a little healthier. I buy a dark chocolate bar from godiva or ghiradelli and just eat a square or two with a cup of tea. It satisfies my craving and fits into my day :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you can't have those if you're aware of your total calories. Hell if I eat a candy bar, then chances are I need to skim back on my carbs at dinner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Do y'all get in these moods ever? How do you get out of them?

I figure ... I just have to hang in there for a day. Tomorrow will be better.

And actually, usually, I just have to hang in their for about an hour until my next snack. :)

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    If it fits in your calories, have it. If it doesn't, one way I can get my mind off it is to remind myself that what I'm craving is a NOW thing, and it really will never taste as good as I imagine it is going to. I have determined that I will not give up what I want MOST for what I want NOW, especially if it's really not worth it. I was told once "don't splurge on something ordinary; if you're going to splurge, make sure it's for the decadent cheesecake, not plain old white cake". I can have a chocolate chip cookie any day. It's not special enough to go over calories for. So anyway, that explains my mind set to getting over those cravings. It's worked so far. In the last 4 months the only splurge I've had was pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.
  • FredBeach
    FredBeach Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We all get that mood. You have to change the way your thing, think of doing something else
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My body rebels when I feed it crap. I always suffer the next day. Knowing I will feel like garbage makes me think twice about grabbing all the junk. I love to eat, but ever since I started cleaning up my diet I have little tolerance for binges like that.

ETA: I'm having an "I don't care day" today. I'm not feeling well as it is, but if I start grabbing convenience foods I'll feel even worse.
  • Jezg83
    Jezg83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I seem to have been the same kind of mood lately. Its so hard not to splurge on things that i haven't had in such a long time. Mentally my head just doesn't seem right and my motivation has been quite poor. As i keep telling myself its ok to splurge once and a while, no one is perfect and to try and not let myself feel guilty about it.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This mood will pass and you will feel SO good if you have done harm minimization while you felt discouraged
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on following your plan out of "habit"! IMO that's what it's all about. Beyond that, I just remind myself if I'm not moving forward toward my goals, I'm going back to where I was, and I don't want to do that.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    So I ate a bunch of Christmas cookies at work today and burned it off after work with an hour on my bike. Last week I did the same thing but burned it off the next day. You can have a treat today if you are in one of those "crave moods" but work it off tomorrow.
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm in that state right now. I was doing so well for a month and I've lost so much weight this year but I've hit a plateau. I started running and a squat challenge then.. I nearly cut my finger off one day while I was distracted and cooking. Like legit my finger is really bad. They still haven't been able to patch it back together fully. As I was in the hospital having my finger patched up as best they could, I told my husband to go get me a poutine and a burger. And since then haven eaten like crap, zoned out on percocets and altogether in a *kitten* frame of mind. Luckily I didn't lose my finger (although it was close) I'm giving myself a break, one week to be glum and emotional. Then after that I need to just get over it and start up again. It's better than reverting to my old ways when I had a horrible self esteem and no interests other than eating, sleeping and watching TV. You just need to do it hun. I know easier said than done. But nothing in this life worth having is easy. Challenges come and go and sometimes multiply. You just need to take a deep breath, put a plan in place and stick to it. And forgive yourself along the way when you fall off the wagon, but always get back on again. Because it's worth it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Absolutely get like this following a heavy weightlifting session at the gym like I had this morning. I usually just drink a chocolate protein drink along with extra water till I'm too full to want anything else.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im in one of those phases right now. Ive noticed a trend over the last 15months....every 3months or so i feel that way for 2ish weeks. I let myself ear at maintenance and then start again
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am this way today! It is an emotional stressful day! It all started before lunch, so lunch was skipped and now I have eaten a chocolate gram with peanut butter with nutella on it with a cup of milk! I am emotionally stressed out right now. I do not know what will stop this anxiety, I need to find the secret. I did come here though and now I have confessed. I have less than 300 calories left for my evening meal...I may have to give up my pre-planning snack and adult beverage to get enough to eat tonight. The pre-planning is another reason I like it, is I can delete it and still have those calories to eat for a meal.
  • Jezg83
    Jezg83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only things that I seem to be able to pre-plan is breakfast and dinner. Might give my other meals and snacks a try at pre-planning. I have noticed though that most days I seem to be eating the same things, well at least snack wise.
    Could do with some new ideas for meals as I'm kind of getting sick of the same things