What do you think about when running?

Options
I went for a run this morning and so many things went through my head and helped motivate me. I was wondering what everyone thinks about....

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!!! I think about how far i have come!!!
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    When I finally get into the zone (after a mile or so) I think of stories that I want to write.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I usually listen to a running podcast. So, I try not to think at all.
    When my mind starts wandering, I check on my form, or wonder if I'm going to die :P, or try and talk myself out of the pain, or into walking.
    I think of stories that I want to write.

During my race on Sunday, I was thinking about my blog post to write.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Just about EVERYTHING! What to cook, whats on my todo list, what my kids current shopping needs are, what needs to be done around the house, how pretty things around me area. AND at the gym, who picks whats on the TVs, and people watching the people down below (the cardio machines are up on a deck over the weights)
  • nikki0404
    nikki0404 Posts: 3
    Options
    The first 2 miles I ask myself "What was I thinking!!" After that my mind clears up and i think about how good Im going to look when I reach my goal! LOL
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I get some of my best ideas for lesson plans when running.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's not what I used to think about, but I think about my cousin Bruce, who was like a brother to me, and was a running partner for half marathon training for several years. He passed away on Friday at only 49. I can't imagine I'll ever be able to run again without thinking of him.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    pushing further into each interval. Still doing C25K and am at the point of making the jogging parts longer. I use lamp posts and electrical boxes as guides..."just one more...two more....". LOL!
  • ARighteousWoman
    Options
    I try to capture the smells when I do run. Though, I don't run much...
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I always think about 'problems' that are bothering me. I've tried to think about other things but, for some reason, I ALWAYS think about things/issues that have me down or are weighing on my mind.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet.
    Yes....this also!!!!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    I think to myself
    'Don't trip, don't fall, don't trip, don't fall" :laugh:
    For real though I really don't know, I get in a zone and kind of go all mushy minded
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Are we there yet.

Haha, exactly!!

I actually try to do long division to distract myself. Another trick is thinking about body parts that DON'T feel tired. Like my thumbs. Or my teeth.

Last summer I ran a half marathon and stayed to watch the full marathon finishers and cheer for them. It was SOOOO inspiring. I was sitting at probably the 24 mile mark, so people were really struggling and digging in.

When I think I can't go on, I think about the people I saw finish that marathon. No lie, most of the time thinking about it makes me tear up a bit. It's amazing what we can do when we really want it. I got to see the last people finish -- a very heavyset couple, obviously struggling, and they were holding hands and limping through to the finish. It was amazing, absolutely amazing.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This is the biggest reason I love running. I have time to actually complete a thought (I have two young children). I think about EVERYTHING! I'll pass by a dead animal and think about what scavanger has ravaged it...who else thinks of such things; then I'll see a crushed CD and wonder why it ended up on the side of the road; a garbage bag with something in it...wonder if it's a body! I might see some animals (deer, turkeys, horses, bunnies) and wonder if they think they are outsmarting me by running away from the big bad human that was chasing them even though I had no intention of going near them. I ponder a conversation that I could have handled better. Politics!!! ACK! Plans for vacation; upcoming races; bug bites, my hurting toenails; old friends; my to do list... :o)
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sounds really Hokey but I think about things that make me truly happy, a kind of gratitude. My son's smile always helps me run a little better! Try it you won't believe the boost it gives you!
  • phillytle
    phillytle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Don't die! Don't die! Don't die!"
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Donuts, Beer and Sex....all at once

or sometimes

I bet smoking crack would be much easier
  • Syntax_Error
    Syntax_Error Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "don't pass out, don't pass out, don't pass out....."
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I'm just concentrating on my pace and my breathing. I have a little cadence that I "hear" that corresponds to my steps and my breathing and this helps me stay constant.