Injury Lower back ( Slipped disc)

Options
Hey everyone. Im just on here looking for anyone that has injured a disc in their lower back and how long they took off from working out or if they altered the workouts and kept going.

I've just returned to work after 3 weeks off and am currently on light duties.

Im feeling much better but notice that any small amount of weight or excess movement (Air squats) makes my back ache later on.
I understand I might not be able to do any back exercises but I would like to maining my upper body atleast.

Replies

• Troy13691
    Troy13691 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Im just on here looking for anyone that has injured a disc in their lower back and how long they took off from working out or if they altered the workouts and kept going.

I've just returned to work after 3 weeks off and am currently on light duties.

Im feeling much better but notice that any small amount of weight or excess movement (Air squats) makes my back ache later on.
    I understand I might not be able to do any back exercises but I would like to maining my upper body atleast.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    You should be able to exercise as long as you keep your back straight. Do you have a brace? If not, that would help! Also, have you seen a chiropractor? If you are out of alignment you may continually injure yourself. If you have done all of these, work into any activity slowly. VERY slowly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've prolapsed discs in my lumbar spine a multitude of times. Lost a lot of disc height and nearly all of the inner nucleus pulposus from a couple of discs.
    The recovery varied enormously from weeks to months depending on size and location of the prolapse and whether the prolapse pressed on a nerve root or not. Maybe 4 to 6 weeks was typical?

As a very general rule keep mobile but avoid spinal compression from lifting heavy weights until fully recovered. Learn to lift properly and do that in everyday life not just in the gym. None of my prolapses happened when lifting heavy and deliberately, it's the unthinking moments that catch you out: sitting awkwardly, lifting with a twist and bend, missing a step on the stairs...

In the early acute stages a good drug regime from your doctor including muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory and pain killers helps as does seeking immediate treatment from a good Osteopath.

I was put on final warning of spinal fusion surgery over ten years ago and what helped me avoid it was finding an excellent Osteopath and then working on my core and abs strength. The stronger my core the better my back health. Build up slowly and progressively!
    I do have to avoid the really heavy lifts that cause spinal compression but that's all.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You want to start out with exercises that promote/emphasize spinal/core stability. Step ups, push ups, wide-grip pull down, single leg squat/reach (similar to SL RDL), straight arm pulldown, alternate arm/leg bird dog, oly plate front raise, elastic band side step, dumbbell biceps curl/shoulder press combo.

I ruptured a disk and this is the program I followed--I have also used it with other clients. Once you build up spine and core, it's easier to transition to other exercises. For a variety of non-back related reasons, I have not resumed a full lifting program, so I don't know what my ultimate limitations are. However, I work as a trainer every day, can demonstrate every exercise I need to, often have to pick up 300-800 lbs of plates off the weight room floor at the end of the day; can now bench press, squat and deadlift--and have yet to experience any substantive back pain.

It did take quite a while to be able to do any squats without discomfort. I still can't do heavy squats, but it's for other reasons than my back.

So I would recommended starting off by building a base of back support before going back to a more traditional lifting program. Or better yet, do some physical therapy.
  • Troy13691
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Im trying to take it easy as even general things tired my back out quickly. ( like sitting at work on light duties)
    Im happy to say i can get back on a bike again ( Cardio) still can't do much ab stuff with the strain atm. I defintely am looking into buying a brace/belt just to help. The biggest help for me is my new Squat rack / Bench has built in safety catchers so i never have to over extend or twist awkwardly i can just put the weight down as hard as i need.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am recovering from a bulging disc at L5/S1 and learned I have degenerative lumbar spine. It was 4 solid months of excruciating pain shooting down my leg 24/7, but in the last 2 weeks it has started to get significantly better. I have not sat in a chair, except for driving to work, since August. I woke up every 20-30 minutes at night from the pain for months.

I chose not to take anything stronger than Aleve so that I could stay active and alert. I used ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for hours for months. Apparently the cold/hot cycle promotes blood flow and healing.

Everyone who knows me learned to accept that a) I will most likely have an ice pack stuffed down the back of my pants and 2) I would never sit down.

I did not take any time off work. I modified my workouts, but actually increased my workouts to every day. I found a fantastic PT that taught me how to strengthen my lower abdominal wall and how to move in ways that strengthened my core, lower back and abdominal muscles. I started Yoga and riding my stationary bike and walking. I stopped running, swimming, lifting, skiing, carrying a pack, going to the chiropractor, eliminated gluten and significantly reduced sugar to reduce inflammation and lost 10 pounds. Last week, I was able to cancel my appointment for an injection into my spine because now the pain is just annoying rather than scrape-me-off-the-ceiling-if-I-breath bad.

I am now able to lift light weights and do some body-weight squats, do intermediate yoga, ride hard on my bike, and walk 4-5 miles. I have been told the recovery time is 12-18 months so I am happy with feeling so good after just 4. I am looking forward to starting swimming in a few months (the torque on my lower back from kicking was too much).

I was told by the chiropractor, PT and spine doctor to avoid the back brace. They all said that you need to learn to move correctly and strengthen your abdominal muscles so that the injury does not re-occur.

Have patience with your body, do what you need to do to heal better than you were before - despite what your friends are doing, and invest in some flexible ice packs!

Happy Holidays. :smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine's not a slipped disc at all, but it's facet joint nerve-squishing problems, so the question of support may be similar.

I'm not supposed to rely on my neck brace, because using it too much could definitely affect my strength in that area. OTOH, since my muscles will actually give out if I do too much, I do wear it when they are at that point and I have to still sit or stand or walk, etc.

I also wear it when I'm doing something of a limited duration that will wear them out very easily (for me). Oftentimes, I can avoid the muscles giving all the way out if I wore my brace for the difficult activity :) It really helps! I wear it for a few yoga poses, too, but that's not something everyone will run across, lol.

When I'm at the point that my muscles give out, it's an abnormal thing, not just like weightlifting-muscles-giving-out. It ends up causing extreme pain for about 3 days. Using the brace as an aid for when it's that bad helps keep me much more active, including my neck muscles. Lying down doesn't exactly strengthen them ;)
  • Troy13691
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks @grace42d and @cafeaulait7 :smile: Im still in recovery light duties at work still. I had a incident over New years eve when a mate cracked my back being an idiot and i lost all feeling in both my legs. It was brief but still shocked and worried me. I'm going to another doctor tomorrow and think i might ask him to organise a scan just to make sure everything down there is ok.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Troy13691 wrote: »
    ... I'm going to another doctor tomorrow and think i might ask him to organise a scan just to make sure everything down there is ok.

If your doctor clears you for exercise, make an appointment with a physio and see what exercises you should be doing. Best of luck.