Whey Protein Isolate causes hair loss? Myth or any Truth to this?

Options
My hair is thinning. It could be older age (50's). But I am drinking Muscletech whey protein from Sam's club often. (Not so much lately, holidays). My drink has whey protein isolate as second ingredient. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/muscletech-premium-whey-protein-chocolate-5-lbs/prod3890134.ip
I don't have cancer, diabetes, drink. I want to thicken my hair, not thin it.
Here is the article quote and the article link.
Dr. Shapiro states that whey protein isolate powders cause hair loss by increasing testosterone levels, and in turn, increasing DHT. Dr. Shapiro states that males experiencing hair loss should not take whey-based protein isolate supplements. In studies conducted by Dr. Shapiro, removing whey protein isolate supplements has been shown to increase density and hair growth
http://www.the-healthy-diet-paradise.com/causes-for-hair-loss.html
Ok, so it looks like this Dr. Shapiro is in all 3 sites I read, I am hoping that it's must a MYTH.

Replies

• Jimsmith109
    Jimsmith109 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Myth I have been using Whey protein for years I still have a full head of hair.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    A hypothyroid some times causes hair loss, so have the doctor check your TSH/T3/T4 levels. A simple blood test will do.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink protein drinks that contain Whey and haven't had hair loss from them. Are you sure it isn't a vitamin deficiency? Some of the women who I work with that are in their 50's complain about thinning hair. So, it could just be menopause.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Thank you dr. Gisel2015, every symthom including not being able to lose weight. I will go to the doctor in 2016 when i get my free yearly visit. And I'm not ready for menopause.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Thank you dr. Gisel2015, every symthom including not being able to lose weight. I will go to the doctor in 2016 when i get my free yearly visit. And I'm not ready for menopause.

Janet, I passed menopause long time ago, and I also have a hypothyroid, so I know that those two events combined, or on their own, could bring unexpected physical changes, so what I posted was only a suggestions/comment. I drink whey protein isolate few times a week and I haven’t experience any additional thinning of the hair. However, after menopause and later on when my thyroid decided to act “down,” not up, I did.
    You may not be ready for menopause, but at your age your body is heading in that direction, it’s called peri-menopause and is nothing that you or any other woman of your age can do about it.
    As another member commented, some vitamins deficiencies (mainly Vit D), and also hormonal unbalances, poor nutrition, and stress can also cause thinning of the hair.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Thinning hair can also be a sign of malnourishment. Might want to get some nutritional markers check too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, menopause comes when it's ready for you, not when you're ready for it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, menopause comes when it's ready for you, not when you're ready for it.

This is very true. My mom went through menopause at 43 and her mom went through it at 59.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Nonsense!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had hair thinning at one point when dieting years ago. Turns out I was not getting enough protein and fat.

oh, and menopause? It is a process, not a moment, so if you are in your 50's, your hormones are already changing to prepare for it. The periods stopping is the last part of it, not the beginning, so you can easily be in it already, just not at the end.