Help me to Control my appetite???

Options
shunxdancer07
shunxdancer07 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I'm having problems controlling my appetite and I want to know what can I do to help me with this? I am 5'7, and I have gained 23 pounds. I want to take control of this weight gaining before it gets out of control. please help?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Have you been logging for a while? Maybe not enough protein or fiber. My diary is open and people tell me things like skip the bread roll and double up on the chicken.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Play around with the types of foods you are eating. I find protein and fat keep me feeling full longer, but for high volume low cal, veggies are great. If you are just starting to eat less, it may take a week or two before your body adapts. Also realize that it's okay to feel hungry once in a while. I know the last one might sound rude, but really it took me a long time to realize that feeling hungry for 30 minutes would not kill me. I also discovered that I can fall asleep hungry and make it to the morning. You just need to tweak with things a little.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food before eating it.

That way, you know how many calories you're eating, and how many you have left for the day.
  • cagbunag
    cagbunag Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My husband who was a trainer tells me to drink water when I feel hungry--- and that seems to work for me.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Eating lower carb greatly helps to control my appetite.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carb or even ketogenic for you. Without harmful drugs the only way to reduce appetite is to reduce carbs.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    is there something else causing you to overeat above and beyond your plan or is it a case where you dont have a plan yet?
  • ilovemycoffee19
    ilovemycoffee19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Maybe try green tea it supresses apettite.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am another who found that cutting carbs, especially starches like potatoes and rice, baked goods and sugars, really helped lower my appetite. Anticipating cutting those foods was the worst part followed by the first week without those foods. Now my appetite is greatly reduced and losing weight became easier.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Play around with the types of foods you are eating. I find protein and fat keep me feeling full longer, but for high volume low cal, veggies are great. If you are just starting to eat less, it may take a week or two before your body adapts. Also realize that it's okay to feel hungry once in a while. I know the last one might sound rude, but really it took me a long time to realize that feeling hungry for 30 minutes would not kill me. I also discovered that I can fall asleep hungry and make it to the morning. You just need to tweak with things a little.

^This. Well, except I differ from the lovely nutmegoreo in that I don't find fat very satisfying. For me it's protein and fiber.

I also found, when I was first cutting back on my food intake that slowing down while I was eating was helpful. It gave my body time to realize it was full.

Different people find different macronutrients (protein/fat/carbs) satisfy their hunger best, so you might need to experiment to see what works best for you.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    cagbunag wrote: »
    My husband who was a trainer tells me to drink water when I feel hungry--- and that seems to work for me.

Man I wished this worked for me...

Reducing carbs and upping fat and protein has helped me immensely with appetite control and cravings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    cagbunag wrote: »

...Reducing carbs and upping fat and protein has helped me immensely with appetite control and cravings.

Me too!

@shunxdancer07 - have you been logging everything you eat? If not, start! If so, please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I am another who found that cutting carbs, especially starches like potatoes and rice, baked goods and sugars, really helped lower my appetite. Anticipating cutting those foods was the worst part followed by the first week without those foods. Now my appetite is greatly reduced and losing weight became easier.

Yeah, same here. Lowering my carbs from 150g+ to ~80g and eating more fat and way less junk food has helped so much. I started about a month ago and I'm not constantly wanting to eat and thinking about food. I'm having way less cravings for sweets and carby snacks, too; I can walk past them and be fine, where as before, I would graze just because they were there. I'm enjoying food more and savoring it. Still a work in progress, but it's progress, which is what matters.
  • galax_nova
    galax_nova Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    - 85+% cocoa dark chocolate.
    - Black coffee (half hour to hour after meal).
    - Fiber rich foods.
    - Wholefoods.
    - Completely cut or at least drastically cut junk foods (insulin spikes from junk foods reduce your brains ability to convey to the body 'fullness').
    - Stay away from wheat (has a hunger inducing effect on body).
    - Eat at least 20-30 grams of protein with every meal.
    - Healthy fats (do not go too crazy).
    - Fiber rich complex carbs (sweet potato with skin, sprouted brown rice, oat meal, hemp protein etc.).
    - Organic sugar free coconut flakes.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Drink tea or coffee when you get hungry. Should help with the cravings.