Vitamins & Herbs

Options
Stagezz
Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
Is there an herb or something that can help increase my metabolism. I am not a couch potato. I workout 5 days a week...I watch what I eat, but still stick around 200 pounds....can't seem to get below 208 at the moment.

As of now the only pill i take is my BC...I have no idea what I am supposed to be taking even with Vitamins...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Be very careful about taking herbs with any kind of prescription meds, especially BC...some herbs can cause it to stop working.

Check with your doctor - it's not uncommon for weight gain and/or difficulty losing weight to be a side effect of hormonal BC.
  • chmie662
    chmie662 Posts: 31
    Options
    I drink green tea in the mornings. Jury is still out on whether it is doing anything, but it tastes good!
  • deisha
    deisha Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Green tea is said to increase your metabolism. You could try that and it's a source of fluid.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/boost_metabolism.htm
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    the vitamin and herb fairy has arrived! and has some tips for you!
    :)
    if you're on birth control, it is necessary you be taking evening primrose. it comes from a blooming flower that has omega 3 oils in it so not only are you getting the heart-healthy oils that help to move cholesterol through your bloodstream (and not letting it clog your arteries) evening primrose is an old homeopathic hormone regulator. many teens will take evening primrose to help hormonal changes, and it's great for your monthly cycle at any age. when i was on birth control, taking evening primrose completely negated my mood swings, acne, and heavy flow. take it easy to start, one softgel a day. this brand is good (and affordable): http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Evening-Primrose-500mg-Softgels/dp/B00024CS04/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308066549&sr=8-2

secondly, to help with metabolism and weight loss i recommend two different options. i've tried both simultaneously and had similar results to just taking the first option.
    super b complex is a great supplement (especially for mood, energy, and metabolism). not to mention all the b vitamins are preventative medicine against heart disease. always take the b complex. it helps your body metabolize food with less effort (because our bodies respond to any processed food [cooked, steamed, gmo, packaged, canned] as an immune system threat). one a day works well for me, however, once you get past 30 you should take one in the morning and one before dinner. here is a great and affordable brand: http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-B-Complex-Vitamin-Tablets/dp/B001G7QUOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1308066713&sr=1-2

lastly, 5-htp is a supplement that aids in weight loss, sleep cycles, and dopamine response. what that basically means is that a (common) effect of 5-htp is less craving for sugary, strachy foods (which often happens in a tired, sluggish mind set) because it raises the communication between synapses in the brain. basically, your mind works a lot more efficiently and faster. some people experience anxiety while taking 5-htp which is why it is last and why i recommend it the least. if you have mood troubles, often feel sad (as many people in seattle do, which is why i took it), or have trouble sleeping i would say give this a try.

and also, take a multivitamin! any kind will do, just be sure your body has all the building blocks it needs to stay healthy for as long as possible!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There is no food or drink that can just increase your metabolism. There are certain foods that can help raise temporarily like green tea or spicy foods, but the increased metabolism isn't significant and doesn't last long. Stimulants are only temporary and do not last. You need to train your body to raise its own metabolism out of necessasity.

The best way to do this is through exercise and diet. By exercise I mean you need to do resistance training(weights) and cardio. If you do just cardio your body will actually burn muscle mass as well as fat to sustain itself. If you ad resistance training in you will cause the body to work to rebuild muscles which requires more energy. This will cause your body to not burn muscles for energy because it knows you need those muscles, so you will burn more fat and it will help raise your metabilism by by using more energy to rebuild itself. If you are afraid of adding to much muscle don't worry about that because there are ways to lift that tone and define and other ways that build. Talk to a trainer to taylor your resistance training to your needs and what end results you want.

Also diet can play a big part, you need to make sure you eat more smaller meals throughout the day. If you only eat a couple of meals and stay under your calories your body will think it is in starvation mode which lowers metabilism. Eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day the body will realize you you aren't starving and will not try to store fat. This will raise your metabilism. Also make sure your calories count. I am not sure how you are eating because your diary is hidden, but if you eat those 100 calories snacks, they don't provide anything for you really, eat a banana instead, it has a lot more nutrients and a medium banana only has 105 calories.

Another important thing is drink lots of water, your body won't try to retain as much if it is always getting it.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep, it plays a huge role in metablism.

These changes won't change your metabilism overnight, they do take time but your body should realize it is safe to stop storing and start burning after 3-6 weeks.
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    Hello! YES!! Metabazon by Amazon Herb Co. They are a spectacular company that make organic, sustainable, super foods derived from the plant life in the Amazon Rainforest. Olivia Newton John is married to the creator and founder of the company and the products are amazing!!!!!! Please check out their website!!! www.amazonherb.net Their Sumacazon is great for metabolism too. And Fiberzon and Digestizon....I could go on and on. Their products help balance your body's own systems and functions and help supplement what we are not getting from today's foods and environment. Please read up on Camu Camu. It's an amazing fruit and source of Vitamin C!!!! Me and my kids are using their products and they are great!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    the vitamin and herb fairy has arrived! and has some tips for you!
    :)
    if you're on birth control, it is necessary you be taking evening primrose. it comes from a blooming flower that has omega 3 oils in it so not only are you getting the heart-healthy oils that help to move cholesterol through your bloodstream (and not letting it clog your arteries) evening primrose is an old homeopathic hormone regulator. many teens will take evening primrose to help hormonal changes, and it's great for your monthly cycle at any age. when i was on birth control, taking evening primrose completely negated my mood swings, acne, and heavy flow. take it easy to start, one softgel a day. this brand is good (and affordable): http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Evening-Primrose-500mg-Softgels/dp/B00024CS04/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308066549&sr=8-2

secondly, to help with metabolism and weight loss i recommend two different options. i've tried both simultaneously and had similar results to just taking the first option.
    super b complex is a great supplement (especially for mood, energy, and metabolism). not to mention all the b vitamins are preventative medicine against heart disease. always take the b complex. it helps your body metabolize food with less effort (because our bodies respond to any processed food [cooked, steamed, gmo, packaged, canned] as an immune system threat). one a day works well for me, however, once you get past 30 you should take one in the morning and one before dinner. here is a great and affordable brand: http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Made-B-Complex-Vitamin-Tablets/dp/B001G7QUOG/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1308066713&sr=1-2

lastly, 5-htp is a supplement that aids in weight loss, sleep cycles, and dopamine response. what that basically means is that a (common) effect of 5-htp is less craving for sugary, strachy foods (which often happens in a tired, sluggish mind set) because it raises the communication between synapses in the brain. basically, your mind works a lot more efficiently and faster. some people experience anxiety while taking 5-htp which is why it is last and why i recommend it the least. if you have mood troubles, often feel sad (as many people in seattle do, which is why i took it), or have trouble sleeping i would say give this a try.

and also, take a multivitamin! any kind will do, just be sure your body has all the building blocks it needs to stay healthy for as long as possible!

5-HTP converts to serotonin, not dopamine. They are completely different monoamine neurotransmitters. 5-HTP is claimed by some to be a natural replacement for SSRI (serotonin selective reuptake inhibitors) anti-anxiety medication such as Prozac. It is also claimed to be helpful in reducing binged eating.