Tips for getting through Christmas?

Options
Today is my first day of getting back into weight loss mode (had a baby), and I'm really nervous about my motivation for the 25th. How do YOU keep your motivation and resolve during parties and lots of crazy good food?

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Small portions of what I REALLY like. Try and only eat 80% of what I really want, pass on the rest. Then the next day, get right back to it!
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's been really hard for me these past 2 weeks. I try to limit myself and not overindulge in the goodies. But it's Christmas and I'll enjoy myself and start fresh on Mon
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    eat everything you want and move on with your life next year

thats what i do anyway
  • jph3
    jph3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My macros remain roughly the same year-round. During the holidays, if I attend a party or social gathering, I just eat whatever I want for that evening. The next day I resume my normal caloric intake. Business as usual.

The one thing I am strict about is limiting my alcohol consumption. If I overdo it and wake up hungover, I tend to eat poorly the next day as well and have a rough time getting back in the diet/workout groove for a couple of days.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Moderation.

Otherwise enjoy it and then get back to it the next day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, I always remind myself WHY I'm doing this. If I'm not going forward, I'm going back to where I started, which I have NO interest in doing.

PS you might consider starting this on Jan 1 rather than pick the hardest day of the year to start.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I've been eating less all week just for Christmas. I'm going to stuff my face on Christmas and go back to eating regular the next day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,142 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a diet break and eating whatever I want to eat until sometime in early January. :grin:

I'm going to exercise lots with the time off, but I'm going to enjoy the food!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,142 Member
    Options
    Improvised wrote: »
    Today is my first day of getting back into weight loss mode (had a baby), and I'm really nervous about my motivation for the 25th. How do YOU keep your motivation and resolve during parties and lots of crazy good food?

A question ... why would you pick Christmas Eve as the first day of getting back into weight loss mode? I know it's good to get into it the sooner the better and all that, but my suggestion would be to just enjoy Christmas, and then on Monday 4 January, have your official start. Even better if you're returning to work then (I am, after the holiday) and you've got a routine.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    christmas would be the last day I start a diet lol. I am going to enjoy my friends and family and eat and drink way to much. Comes once a year I will just have to work harder next week. I live for the holidays.
  • MaVieEntiere
    MaVieEntiere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree. :smile: Its not the best day to start. If it were me, I'd cave into all the tasty's and then feel like I'd 'failed' and I'd be less likely to continue. What about Jan 1? All that new year's atmosphere of hopefullness etc!
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in trying to eat less at Christmas as it never works for me, but I'm all for eating smarter. My game plan is generally to avoid the appetizers altogether, so no chips, dips, etc. For main, I tend to load up on salads first before meat, so I don't get sucked into distorted portions. For dessert, I pick one thing to indulge in, then stick to fruit after that if I'm still hungry. Even with a plan though, I know I'll probably end up eating a lot more than usual, so I'm scheduling in a workout for the next day (and maybe one before if I have time!)
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As others have said I think you should push your weight loss start day back a day or two. If you really have a "eat healthy" mindset on Christmas and you end up not doing that it could mentally make you feel like you've already lost at your plan. Bust your butt 85 percent of the time so that you can enjoy the other 15 percent and indulge in whatever you want, that's my attitude anyway
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    It's so sad that people are worried this time of year and just want to "get through it". Remember to enjoy yourself. Moderation
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm already in a bulk. Yesterday wasn't even a holiday and I OVER overate (above my planned surplus). Needless to say, I know for a FACT I'll be gaining weight this week, and at a faster rate than I want. I getting through with deep breaths and hopefully enhanced gym performance lol.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I really up my protein and my fiber intake so that I am never hungry enough to eat items that I know aren't going to help me achieve my goal. I also drink more water and exercise more to earn more calories so if I decide to eat something I normally wouldn't, I can afford it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Improvised wrote: »
    ...How do YOU keep your motivation and resolve during parties and lots of crazy good food?

I party hardy and get back on the wagon the next day. One day of indulgence will NOT make or break reaching your ultimate goal.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    jph3 wrote: »
    My macros remain roughly the same year-round. During the holidays, if I attend a party or social gathering, I just eat whatever I want for that evening. The next day I resume my normal caloric intake. Business as usual.

The one thing I am strict about is limiting my alcohol consumption. If I overdo it and wake up hungover, I tend to eat poorly the next day as well and have a rough time getting back in the diet/workout groove for a couple of days.

I do this exactly. I make sure I still go to the gym and eat well the day after a day of indulgence. It's the holidays, enjoy it!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I try, when possible, to make alternative plans for those big holiday meals...my family isn't really the type to do a big traditional ham/turkey meal at Christmas time, instead we'll plan out a breakfast-brunch or go out for Thai or something. That works better for me. For example, today I slept in and my husband made us lemon ricotta pancakes and I won't eat again until like 4 pm which will be lunch & dinner in one, at a Thai restaurant. I have like 900 calories for that and got some exercise in, too, so I'll be fine having a Christmas cookie and a few pieces of fudge later in the evening too.

I realize a lot of people do it much differently and have big traditional seated dinners and alcohol. In those situations, I really try to go just for what I really want and like. The first couple years of losing weight this was a real challenge for me because I felt rude passing up apple pies and homemade rolls and mashed potatoes...but I don't LOVE any of that...I ate what I really loved, the pecan tart and ham and green beans. Not a big green salad because of my "diet"...but a limited variety of things I truly wanted to devour.