Low calorie and healthy salad combinations!? New ideas!

Options
Dmg114
Dmg114 Posts: 47 Member
I want to incorporate more salads into my week but I tend to eat the same 2 types of salads...

1) Veggie salad: Lettuce, mixture of veggies (carrots, cucumbers, peppers, mushrooms, etc), some type of cheese like cheddar or feta, and some type of protein if i have it like chicken or turkey or steak and then I put a vinaigrette on it like balsamic or greek.

2) Fruit salad: Lettuce, mixture of fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, etc), some type of cheese, usually feta, protein like chicken or turkey, and then a raspberry vinaigrette.

I know there must be more creative ideas out there then just what I am eating! What are your creative and healthy salad combinations?! I'm looking for salads with common ingredients usually found in most kitchens and that aren't very calorie dense. Got any ideas?!

Replies

• andrgtrr
    andrgtrr Posts: 5
    Options
    Ever heard of the Apple Diet?

2 cups lettuce
    1 tomato
    1/2 green bell pepper
    1 apple
    2 tbsp walnuts
    1 tbsp olive oil vinaigrette

Low calorie, high fiber and totally fills you up.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make a Southwest Grilled Chicken salad that comes in at 300 cals including the dressing. Spring mix, grilled chicken, black beans, corn, tomato, green onion, ranch dressing & spicy bbq sauce. I actually ate this yesterday for dinner if you want to look in my food diary.
  • almondbliss
    almondbliss Posts: 115
    Options
    One we eat in my family is a salad that consist of...

Romain Or Baby Spinach
    Mandarin Oranges
    Sliced Strawberries
    Pineapple Tidbits
    Cheddar & Mozzarella Mix
    Chopped Pecans
    Poppy Seed Dressing

Calories are 645, but I usually eat it as a meal.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My lunch today consists of the following:

Shrimp
    Romaine Lettuce
    Hard boiled egg
    chopped apple
    light thousand island dressing

It is really super good - you can always forgo the dressing and just use fresh lemon or whatever you prefer.

You should check out Hungry Girl - her new cookbook have some great BIG salad recipes. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    black beans rinsed
    corn nibs
    bell pepper
    onion
    celery

mix it all together, add a scootch of light zesty italian dressing, and either eat as is or scoop with tostitos...you can even add some lettuce in there if you'd like

today my lunch is mixed veggie salad, crab meat and 2tbsp of rene's cucumber and dill dressing...hits the spot every time
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Oh man, Salads are like art....and foods are your paints! Your palette is LIMITLESS! I will add anything to a salad! In fact, every week for the month of June, I am adding a new ingredient every week! (Feel free to browse my diary for ideas)...last week, I added Strawberries, Pineapple, and Chick Peas...This week...Steamed Greenbeans!

Sometimes, my salads are a little higher in calories...like if I use avocado or something...but they are VERY filling!