What Do You Eat

Options
I know a lot of people are into all kinds of diet plans, low fat, no carb, etc.

Im curious though, what is everyone using, and what have you found to work for you?

How many times are you eating a day, working out a each week, and what do you think have been your personal keys to success?

If you felt like you haven't had any success, why so?

Replies

• larissafainberg66
    Options
    Hi, there! I have Celiac so no gluten or dairy. I tried to go for low carb/medium carb depending on my level of activity for the day. Eat as much raw fruit and veg as possible. Lots of oily fish, nuts, seeds, coconut products, eggs, occasional steak .
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,614 Member
    Options
    I used mfp to track calories and stay in a deficit. I tried to eat a lot of vegetables and lean protein, but ate some treats like pizza, Mexican food, and burgers, too. My workouts are usually circuits, weights, or straight cardio--about 10-11 workouts/wk (I do 2-a-days, 30 min. dvd workouts in the morning, some other workout in the evening 4 days/wk, then just the dvd on Friday am, and a 45-1 hour workout Sat-Sun.)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I love in moderation, focusing on nutrition but always leaving room for a treat at night. It was successful my first year because I made sure everything was weighed and logged as accurately as possible. This year, though, I haven't been as diligent, haven't exercised since early summer, and I've gained a bit back. But I know what needs to be done.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My diet for a week consist of low carb high protein. I aim for things that are organic (if I have more money in my pocket that week) and gluten free food. I usually have one high carb day (which is normally my cheat day). This helps curve my need for carbs.

I eat three meals and snacks in between. I work out 5 days a week. If I am sore, I rest for a day because it's my muscles telling me they need a break to heal.

Personally....how I lost 20 lbs is just basic determination. I have a lot of reasons mentally and physically. I have kids and want to be here for them. I have a husband I want to look good next to. I need to feel better about myself.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything

...(in appropriately sized portions)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want. What I want has changed. I don't eat a lot of junk food any more.

I aim to eat lots of nutrient dense plant foods, lean proteins, good fats, nuts and seeds, legumes. I have treats every day. I drink wine most days.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I eat everything that I like to eat. Some of my favorites I might have a smaller portion but I haven't cut out any foods in my "diet". I do work out 5 days a week so that helps a little I guess. I eat 3 meals & a late afternoon snack to tide me over till dinnertime.

My personal keys to my success:
    Patience
    Consistency
    Food scale

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat regular ordinary foods. I try to eat mostly what I guess you'd call whole foods because it's the most efficient use of my calories. I'm not militant about that though. I eat 3 meals a day and then a snack in the evening if I have leftover calories.

I exercise 5x/wk on average. Right now it's 2 days of heavy lifting, 2 days of medium lifting/conditioning, and then one day of walking. When I get a chance I walk more but lately that hasn't happened much.

What has worked for me? The first year it was 5 lb goals. The second year it was focusing on getting stronger. I'm heading into the third year and will be focusing on one pound goals and being on point each day. I'm at the point where I want to be done with losing weight and if that means being super strict with myself for awhile that's how it's going to be.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    Anything and everything

Absolutly!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I eat a little of everything. Still can't stay away from fast food, so I look for grilled options or smaller portions instead of always getting a spicy asiago ranch chicken club from Wendy's or a steak quesarrito from Taco Bell.

It helps to log the main portions of my meals ahead of time, then if I feel snacky in between (which I almost always do), or if I'm not satisfied with the main portion of the meal, there are those unused calories sitting there waiting to be nommed. It feels like a bonus, even though it's not.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease and am a vegetarian because I don't particularly like meat. I am also, by preference, for the most part, a scratch cook. I like the taste of my own cooking.

Within those parameters, I eat pretty much everything I like. I just happen to like things like yogurt, cottage cheese, lentils, veggies, berries, and whole grains. I also like cookies.

I exercise pretty much every day. Even on my rest day, I walk. I'm in between gyms right now, but I walk, run, lift, and water jog.

What has worked for me?

Learning to love myself where I was
    Realizing that I needed to form habits
    Patience
    Consistency
    Honesty with myself
    Being willing to challenge myself
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Calorie logging
    Not excluding anything
    Batch cooking
    Moving more
    Working out 3 x a week
    Lifting heavy stuff
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I've gradually lost about 22 lbs over 19 weeks, but I feel really successful because it has been fun and almost completely angst free. I finally get it! I've learned so much here.
    I eat everything I want in moderation, but I plan how I'm going to get some protein at every meal now. I eat three meals most days; two if I'm going out for a special meal or know I'll be trapped in a car or plane for most of the day. Lunch is the meal I'll most likely cut in that case. If my meals are well executed I don't really need snacks.
    I keep my carbs on the moderate side but I don't stress over a high day here & there. I let my fats be too, so long as I haven't added a bunch of unnecessary fats.
    I cook fewer 'recipes' these days. I cook, but it's very simple: sear meat, toss salad, eat... I repeat favorites a lot.
    I plan how to fit more activity into each day too. Everyday I think: how could I walk more? How much time do I have for a workout? I never planned that way before.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything

^This
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want... in reasonable, measured portions of course. I'm a firm believer in IIFYM, and before I get called out that IIFYM is all junk food... it's only junk food if you choose to eat only junk food... and junk food does not fit my macros... but a well balanced, varied diet full of all food groups does.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I also eat whatever I want paying attention to my macros. I eat around 6x per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. Typically I workout 4-5x per week (mostly heavy lifting, some cardio, some yoga).

For me it wasn't so much my diet but my fitness regime that has brought me the success I desired.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My main concern is eating a balanced diet and meeting my calorie goal over the week; being over some days doesn't bother me. I exercise 4-5 times a week, a mix of running, swimming, resistance work and the elliptical/rower, and am lightly active at work. I try of course to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, and keep an eye on my protein intake. I eat 'junk' food at least every other day. I eat three meals and usually at least one snack a day.
    My biggest challenge at the moment is not eating enough calories for my running - I think I still have this fallacy in my head that slim women can't possibly maintain on 2300 calories a day, which is obviously ridiculous because they can and I do. I also sometimes comfort eat but am getting much better at dealing with negative emotions in a better way.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on my carb/protein/fat balance but don't really actively work at it either. I think I probably do better when my protein and fiber are a bit higher because I'm more full, but when losing weight I mostly just focused on calories (and WW Points before that).

I work out 4 times a week and eat 6ish times a day- usually it's breakfast at 6:45, morning snacks around 10 and 12, lunch around 1-1:30, afternoon snack around 4, and dinner around 8.

The keys for me were to be moderate and non-obsessive and to just slowly change my habits in a sustainable way. I'm never going to do well eating super low calorie or low carb or working out 6 days a week or losing 3 pounds a week at this point in my life. It's all long-haul things at this point.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 130 lb from my highest, by eating "regular foods" 3 meals per day with no snacks (usually)...limiting sodium, and drinking a lot of water. I love vegetables, fruit, meat, and (unfortunately) sweets. I also love lentils/beans, eggs, and such. I am not much into bread and salty snacks in the first place. So my diet is slightly low carb but not so much by design...I just rarely eat things like chips, bread, pretzels, cereal, or cake...the sweets I indulge in regularly are chocolate and ice cream (and have done so throughout my entire weight loss period and still do now in maintenance). I do have pasta & rice 1-2 times weekly or so...and dairy usually just in the form of cheese or ice cream or sour cream (not daily). It's not that I cut out any one thing for weight loss, I just realized there were many times that I'd have a sandwich with two big pieces of bread when I really preferred to just eat the meat & veggies without bread. Stuff like that.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything

^ What he said.