No junk food challenge!

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am cutting back on my treats in January because I tend to eat too much to lose when eating them. I am not starting yet though. I have about four more higher calorie days planned.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    OP I know your heart is in the right place but your list is silly. You can eat everything on your list in moderation and still lose. Your list is the demonization of food. Food is not bad. Too many calories are bad if you are trying to lose.
  • ilovemycoffee19
    ilovemycoffee19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Reasons why i know those are bad foods is last year they caused me WAY higher blood sugar than ever when i began eating them everYday, in moderation, i was losing weight but my mouth was extremely dry all the time and its because of too much added sugar in them. Was drinking more than 3L water everyday but it wasn't a help.

The best thing i did for my health was giving up fizzy drinks and no way that i could drink them again even if someone said they aren't as bad.

It's not that i am giving up those food forever!

I think it's okay to have your own opinion on anything but judging somebody's effort in trying to live as healthiest possible and choosing not to eat food that we all know is bad and addictive is silly. Again, it's my opinion on this!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...If you feel better by giving those food items up then by all means give them up or maybe at least cut back on them. After your 21 days maybe you can add some back in to your diet in a smaller quantity.

None of those foods cause me any problems. I have however eliminated/cut back on some foods because they cause my blood pressure to rise.

I don't consider any food bad/addictive...I do however think that some foods might not fit what an individual wants or needs as part of their main diet. There are several foods that I eat on rare occasions but I would not want them as part of my main way of eating.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i didnt realise peanut butter and white bread is junk food
    why isnt bacon on the list too?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    This foods!

That looks like the instructions for sadness

I agree. I don't consider foods "good" or "bad", so that list is useless (and sad) to me. Anything fits within the context of a varied, well-rounded diet.
  • ilovemycoffee19
    Options
    Definetely! It's great that you had willpower to eliminate some foods. We are all different, some people are more sensitive to sugar and processed foods, some not.

I am cautious of bad foods cause in my family there are diabetics. I had normal weight, lost some and it was suprising to see my sugar level so high, almost above normal just in a few months after i started eating them everyday :)

I never said that anyone here should give them up, but eating them not as often would be a good thing. Yes, they are addictive, reason why there is growth in obesity is because sugar is added in all bad foods in big amounts, and sugar is highly addictive. Reason why is tough to give up those foods if you are eating them regulary is because sugar is more addictive than some drugs. And sugar is really added everywhere. The more sugar there is, the better taste.

I was struggling back then giving up sugar and had withdrawals cause it's just like any other addiction.

• ilovemycoffee19
    Options
    Soooo, the conclusion here is that i will do this and if you won't that is just FINE! :)
  • ilovemycoffee19
    edited December 2015
    Options

In white bread there is much added sugar. I consider bacon is not as bad as all these. Again, it's not a list that i made
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

In white bread there is much added sugar. I consider bacon is not as bad as all these. Again, it's not a list that i made

There's no more added sugar in white bread than any other kind...and it's not that much. Only enough for the yeast to feed on.

I'm sorry but this is just silly. Certainly by all means eliminate some of these things if you can't moderate them within a calorie goal. But to applaud the complete elimination of a random list of "junk" foods just because someone made an internet .gif and called it a 'challenge' is going to result in failure much more than success
  • ilovemycoffee19
    Options
    Okay, we all have our opinion and i respect it and wont argue over that :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Reasons why i know those are bad foods is last year they caused me WAY higher blood sugar than ever when i began eating them everYday, in moderation, i was losing weight but my mouth was extremely dry all the time and its because of too much added sugar in them. Was drinking more than 3L water everyday but it wasn't a help.

The best thing i did for my health was giving up fizzy drinks and no way that i could drink them again even if someone said they aren't as bad.

It's not that i am giving up those food forever!

I think it's okay to have your own opinion on anything but judging somebody's effort in trying to live as healthiest possible and choosing not to eat food that we all know is bad and addictive is silly. Again, it's my opinion on this!

I don't know any food that is addictive, no food is bad either unless it is off.

• cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter isn't junk food if it has no additives in it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great keep update how it's going! :D
    I'm not sure,maybe because in most of them there is lots of added sugar!

Is there? So why not buy the kind that is only peanuts and salt?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Not necessarily. Again, it depends on what you buy. If you choose to buy the kind that has "lots of added sugar" that's a choice. Nothing inherent about white bread. (I don't eat a lot of bread and usually prefer whole grain because of the taste and fiber, so I don't think it's weird to choose whole grain bread, but the nutritional difference is not that great.)

Anyway, for some reason we have decided to have homemade pizza as a family for Christmas Eve. I made the dough for the crusts. It is "white" and yet there is not, in fact, "much added sugar."
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Again, it depends on what you buy. If you choose to buy the kind that has "lots of added sugar" that's a choice. Nothing inherent about white bread. (I don't eat a lot of bread and usually prefer whole grain because of the taste and fiber, so I don't think it's weird to choose whole grain bread, but the nutritional difference is not that great.)

Anyway, for some reason we have decided to have homemade pizza as a family for Christmas Eve. I made the dough for the crusts. It is "white" and yet there is not, in fact, "much added sugar."

The yeast need love too.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Well, whole grain bread isn't junk but white bread is :) but i don't eat bread anyway!

White bread is considered junk?? Lol, that's news to me. I eat it everyday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

That depends on the bread. Some whites have just as much as needed. Some have HFCS. The "whiteness" of the bread doesn't mean it has more added sugar, it just means it's been bleached, stripped, and likely enriched. But yes, some do add HFCS.

Peanut butter isn't "junk food". Peanut butter spread (with all the added sugars and hydrogenated oils) could be argued to be.

Chocolate isn't in and of itself junk.

I don't eat a lot of junk food but this list seems so random.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The yeast need love too.

Yeast are into moderation, so a little sugar will suffice. ;-)

No black and white thinking for yeast!