In DESPERATE need of help!!!

Options
OK...so I just finished my third week of the couch 2 5k program....but no I'm not going into week 4...I'm still on week one and still don't feel ready to move on to week two..........my body is ready, my legs do great, i'm never sore after I go out, but....if this makes sense...my lungs aren't ready?? I STILL feel like I'm about to die after running for just 60 seconds....I terrified of moving on to week 2 because I already feel like a failure for repeating week 1 three times....and if I try to move on to week 2 and can't, then I'll most likely end up quitting the program. I love getting out, and I love the feeling of running, but I just can't breath. So...is it me? Am I not breathing correctly? I honestly don't know how to breath while i'm running and maybe that's why I still feel like I can't run for longer than a simple 60 seconds.....It's so discouraging....because I feel like maybe I'm just still too heavy to try to run.....I need some serious help because I'm loving this program, and I don't want to quit, but the more I can't breath, the more I want to just quit....

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I have always felt this way and have not always been overweight when I run!! I really want to know the answers you get.
  • onewarmmomma
    onewarmmomma Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I made it to week 3 of the program, then got sick and took a couple weeks off. When I jumped back into it I tried to pick it up on week 3 again....and I felt like I was going to die! I decided to start the program over again with week 1, and my lungs felt like they were on fire after I was done.

Hopefully you get some answers, because I'd like to see what others have to say!

Whatever you do, don't give up!! Even if you can only do week one over and over, you're MOVING! You're TRYING! That's what counts :o)
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    The fact that you're moving and trying means you're not a failure. You're doing step one!! That is more than you were doing before. keep it pushing. If your body isn't ready it's not ready. Don't stop what it is ready for though and that is step one...Also, ask your doc about asthma. :(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    run slower for those 60 seconds and work up to a faster pace. You may be going to fast too soon.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    The obvious question is how do you breath while you run? I have a set number of strides that I breath in and then one quick breath out. For example, I usually do 3 strides to breath in and then 1 out. Towards the end this can increase to 2 strides in and 1 out. I pretty much breath through my mouth as I am moving a lot of air. I suppose that should be another question, are you doing deep breaths?
  • Jillatha
    Jillatha Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I felt the same when I started I nearly died on every run, it does get better, if you need to stay on week one then stay until you feel ready the important thing is you are getting out there :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

A lot more beginner tips that might help in my blog:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

You are perfectly right to repeat week one until you feel ready. Well done for sticking with it and you'll be on week two before you know it!
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean when you say your "lungs" aren't ready. It just means your cardiovascular endurance is lower than your muscular capacity. The more cardio you do, and at a high-ish intensity, the better your endurance will become. It does take time though. To improve your cardiovascular endurance, workout at around 80-85% of your "max heart rate" (MHR). 220 minus your age is the basic equation to figure out your max heart rate, then just do the math to figure out the numbers for the percentages. Working out at that level is what athlete's do to improve endurance. When you start to see the same level of workout result in lower heart rates, you'll know you're improving. When I started to work out, I would easily get to 90-95% of my MHR, and now I struggle to get to 85% for the same workout. But it took months to get there, so don't feel bad at all about not being able to do this in a few weeks! :smile:

Edit - it goes without saying that if you are overweight, you should get medical clearance before trying to workout at such a high level. Having said that, I felt I should add I've been doing my cardio on an elliptical due to having bad feet. Actually running is still *much* harder for me than the elliptical, but I have seen clear improvements in my ability to run from doing the cardio training. Actual running, even if you're going relatively slow (jogging) is one of the most taxing things.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i am new to the couch to 5k also, i am in week three but i plan on repeating it. I found that if i would slow down my jog to what they said on the podcast, your suppose to be able to talk and your arms be relaxed. then i was able to do it and maintain the jog. I make sure i am taking bigger deeper breaths rather then short ones, and watch that i dont speed up. speed will come later.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel! I've always heard that you are supposed to breathe in through your nose and out your mouth..easier said that done when you feel like you are going to hyperventilate! I can't run do to severe knee probs, so instead of running, I kick it up on the elliptical machine with a higher resistance. It's extremely hard to train your lungs especially when you haven't been active! I just chew gum, (so my mouth doesn't dry out) and go as hard or fast as I can, then take it down a couple of notches. Don't be discouraged, because it will even out, and your body WILL improve with time! It may not happen as quickly as you'd like, but it will happen. :)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    This program, along with any physical training program worth it's salt, is based on progression. You MUST progress, and continue to add new challenges, or your body won't respond. I'd recomend going on to week two and giving it a try. If you aren't happy with how you do, go back down to week afterwards, but you need to try. You might be surprised at how your body reacts if you keep pushing it to new places. In 2 months the stuff you did during week 1 will seem like a breeze.

As far as breathing, there are a few keys to remember. Forget that "in through the nose, out through the mouth" stuff. Instead, try to take controlled (not fast but not slow), full breathes that feel like they fill your lungs to 80-90%. Every now and then I like to take a slightly slower, very deep, full breath. If my lungs are burning, this deep breath seems to "stretch" them out. Keep your face and jaw relaxed, and if you feel like you're breathing to quickly, try closing your mouth just a little and feel the air coming in and out of your mouth. That helps to slow me down.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The obvious question is how do you breath while you run? I have a set number of strides that I breath in and then one quick breath out. For example, I usually do 3 strides to breath in and then 1 out. Towards the end this can increase to 2 strides in and 1 out. I pretty much breath through my mouth as I am moving a lot of air. I suppose that should be another question, are you doing deep breaths?

Well, I've tried breathing through my mouth and through my nose. It seems as though I get more air breathing through my mouth, so I made that much of a change, but I will try some type of pattern as you mentioned....but even trying that I feel like i'm never getting enough air in...it's an odd feeling and a little hard to explain. If only I could get more air IN, I think I'd be ok....but it's almost like I can't take a deep breath while jogging....
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and I use C25K to help train myself up without risking an asthma attack. Yesterday was my first day of week 5 (so it can be done!)

After week 1 I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to do week 2

but I did it. I was gasping and out of breath and by the end I was talking(thinking) S--- to the road "Eff you road! I stomp your face! You are nothing!"

The ONLY way to progress is if you keep pushing yourself. There have been a couple times I had to stop mid run and catch my breath but that just meant I did the week again. If I didn't have to stop for a full week, I moved on, even if it's hard. Tomorrow I'm going to run for 8 minutes straight and on Friday I'm supposed to run for 20 minutes straight. That's terrifying to me because I had to do week 4 twice but... it's progression. I was exactly where you were!

Just keep pushing yourself! If you are having an attack then walk and catch your breath until you can run again.

You don't even have to follow C25K - follow the idea, run until you can't anymore, walk until you catch your breath, then try to up it by 30 seconds. Whatever works for you.

I guess the idea I'm really trying to get across is that you can't let fear of failure prevent you from trying. GO GET IT! :D
  • crazyears
    crazyears Posts: 50
    Options
    I have always felt like this when doing anything aerobic (even as a skinny highschooler). After years and years of not being able to run I finally asked my doctor and was given an inhaler that I use as needed for exercise induced asthma. I would check with a doctor because as much as you should push yourself you don't want to hurt yourself.
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    Bump!! I have always felt this way and have not always been overweight when I run!! I really want to know the answers you get.

I used to feel that way. Part of it was fear and once someone explained the other reason I started to relax when I ran. Mind you, I still don't like to run! I have to for my military tests - so I do to keep in shape.

One trainer sat down with me and explained that it takes around a quarter of a mile to a half mile before my body realizes that I am going to be doing this for awhile. The first part is a struggle because I am so worried about feeling like I can't get enough oxygen. [resting heart rate of 45 all my life] - now I try and stay calm and wait for my body to switch over. If you do this, you will start to be able to tell when it does [some people call it a second wind].

I now run more with less stress. I would just keep doing it until you feel the switch, some of it could be mental like mine was. Your lungs will grow used to it and it will start to be easier. If you are still in week one, so what you are in week one and that is amazing and more than most people are doing. Be proud of where you are, it doesn't matter how long it takes, just that you don't give up and you get there. Enjoy the journey instead of beating yourself up! I promise it will happen. Best of luck......:flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It will also help you to find a breathing rhythm that suits you. I run three steps (left, right, left) for each breath in and out. Many other people do it every two steps, but if I'm going so fast I need to breath that often, I can't keep it up and my breathing fails me like it sounds yours does.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You may need to slow down a bit. When I first started running outside, instead of jogging (slow run), I'd do more like high speed sprints and would get out of breath really quickly. Running on the treadmill is a bit easier in that regard because you can go the same speed the whole time without putting much thought into it.

I also find that it helps to count my steps while running and synch my breathing up. For every two footfalls (left, right) I take a breath in then breath out for the next two footfalls. Hope that makes sense - kind of hard to describe. I also force my breath out which seems to make breathing in a bit easier for some reason.

P.S. I get that anxiety sometimes running too and it can really mess with your breathing. I think the counting helps with this too because if you're concentrating on that, your mind can't really go to those panicy places.

P.P.S. :smile: Don't feel bad that it's taking you 3 weeks to do week 1!! It's great that you're even trying it and, trust me, you'll find your rhythm and get there eventually
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I know exactly what you're describing and it will pass. I describe that voice as the panic voice. She's desperate to make you stop the pain. Your cardio will improve over time. But it will be up to you to push thru some of these challenging points. Just a little bit at first and then it will get easier to push yourself. Slow your pace down a little and commit to just a little further, just a little longer, just a few more steps. When you need that little push remember your body can do it and this is only your mind trying to talk you out of it. :smile:
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You are doing great, I started jogging for 10 seconds then walked fast until I caught my breath and another 10 seconds then tried 15 seconds. I kept this up for awhile, until I could jog for a minute then two. Next thing I knew I was jogging a mile without stopping. I learned doing Hot Bikram Yoga to do Pranayama Breathing that teaches you to expand your lungs by filling them completely and stretching them to the full capacity. If you google Pranayama Breathing or Yoga breathing you can watch a video of it. I wish I knew they when I was first getting started jogging. I hope it helps you! Note I started jogging on a treadmill, when I moved out onto a road, it was night and day difference for me. The road is sooo much harder.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting out there and trying. Breathing correctly is important in running. I am not the best runner but I do love to run. The biggest challenge with it is staying calm when your breathing becomes harder. They have to be deep relaxed breathing. If u dont stay calm it can make u nervous, making u breath harder and faster to try and feel better. when u get to thet point of being afraid of not breathing, take into account how u r running. r u running tight? u should run losely, keep ur head up and always look ahead not at the ground. Keep ur shoulders back.
    And if U can not relax and breathe deeper then slow down or walk till u catch ur breath. You may be repeating weeks, but how long have u been running. Have u ran before? If not you have to remember that your body is not used to this activity and u r trying to teach it to do something completely new. You will find what works for u, dont give up. And give urself time. :happy: