Dry skin from low fat diet?

Options
The subject says it all! Since I've been dieting, I tend to lean toward higher volume, lower fat foods, and my skin is starting to get really dry. Is it a coincidence? I'm also bicycling for an hour every other day, maybe it's from the wind on my face? (I go after 7pm, so very little sun.) Maybe this is tmi, but the worst place is in my ear canal!! All dry, flaky and itchy. This is some weirdness...

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Are you eating healthy fats? Avocados? Nuts? Seeds? Olives, olive oils? I'd add some of those back to your diet and see if that helps you....
  • allybtucker
    Options
    Some healthy fats, but not much due to the calorie density. Not really on purpose, I just feel more satisfied after a pound of broccoli rather than an ounce of walnuts, so I tend to go for the broccoli.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    how much fat is this low fat diet? A balanced diet should consist of fat between 20 and 30% of total calories. If you are below 20% you should increase it, fat is your friend, it just has a bad stigma attached to it.

From looking at your diary, or what you have filled out in it over 3 days you have averaged 28% fat, so that is not a low fat diet, you are getting what you should be, provided you are staying with similar ratios for the rest of the day (you have not been logging dinner)
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You need fat in your diet. Olive oil is good (and olives). Also, Evening Primrose Oil is good.
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    putting this out there and i'm sure someone will think i'm crazy but you can rub olive oil or coconut oil right into your skin..... your not eating it and it helps to retain moisture in your skin while giving it a nice healthy glow. I'm not crazy I swear..... just a helpful idea.
  • allybtucker
    Options
    @EmilyQC, you sound like Rachael Ray. I picture her rolling around in EVOO when the cameras aren't on :-) (Not in a dirty way, in a Scrooge McDuck diving into money way :-)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    If it's affecting your ear canal then you need to increase your omega 3 oil intake (if you don't get enough omega 3 you can start getting earwax building up, cracked heels, dry skin all over etc. Oily fish, flax seeds, evening primrose are all good sources. Also eggs, nuts, leafy green vegetables and seeds. These are all good healthy sources of protein and/or vitamins/minerals.
  • CooCoo
    CooCoo Posts: 14
    Options
    Try taking Flaxseed Oil...... My Dr recommended it for my dry eyes and it really helped. I am not sure if it will have the same effect on dry skin, but it is worth a shot.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Oh, and DO NOT try to increase your omega 6 intake. We tend to get way too much omega 6 already (sunflower oil etc in a lot of shop bought products) and it can counteract the good effects of the omega 3 :smile: