Stalling weight loss after taking up weight training

Options
Hey folks!

I've been cutting for two months consistently and I was able to lose 2-3 pounds per week throughout my journey. I'm on my last 10 pounds and I added weight lifting to my routine in order to make things easier. It's been 12 days since I started lifting and the scale stopped moving even though my nutrition is exactly the same like before. Do you think this is because of a common plateau situation or a side effect of beginners weight lifting?

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Side effect of a new program. You're likely holding onto excess water, but it'll balance out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's pretty common due to water retention. Also, it could be caused by replacing a higher calorie burning activity with weightlifting.
  • clockworksailing
    clockworksailing Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I heard that it could be due to water just wanted to double check this info. Just FYI, I haven't replaced any activity, calorie in/out levels were identical during this period.
  • vinnyluu
    vinnyluu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you've been on the same nutrition plan for a long time, you may need a refeed day in order to help "reset" your metabolism.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since a plateau is 4-6 weeks, it's not that. It's most likely water retention to repair your muscles.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Simple - adding muscle, a good thing!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just water retention due to and activity that requires it for rebuilding.
    Should stabilize out and start dropping once your body adapts to the lifting.