Anyone else have nighttime sleep eating disorder?

Options
2»

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    dmn6789 wrote: »
    Ok so this is going to sound CRAZY! But I have what they call "nighttime sleep eating disorder". I literally get up in the middle of the night and binge eat anything and everything (icecream, chips, peanut butter, crackers, you name it...). I wake up the next day feeling completely sick. It sucks because I'm semi aware that I'm doing it but there's no part of my mind telling me to stop. I've seen a sleep doc, was prescribed pills, and even put locks on the freezer, but nothing helps. It's so depressing bc I work so hard during the day to eat right and then ruin it in my sleep. Doc says it's a stress thing...? Anyone else suffer from this?

So bad, antidepressants did this to..
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    dmn6789 wrote: »
    Ok so this is going to sound CRAZY! But I have what they call "nighttime sleep eating disorder". I literally get up in the middle of the night and binge eat anything and everything (icecream, chips, peanut butter, crackers, you name it...). I wake up the next day feeling completely sick. It sucks because I'm semi aware that I'm doing it but there's no part of my mind telling me to stop. I've seen a sleep doc, was prescribed pills, and even put locks on the freezer, but nothing helps. It's so depressing bc I work so hard during the day to eat right and then ruin it in my sleep. Doc says it's a stress thing...? Anyone else suffer from this?

What medications did your physician prescribe? And have you seen a physician boarded in sleep medicine? Sleep docs are best suited for this kind of thing.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My friend does this. It's been linked to her eating disorder- she's short on vitamins and nutrients and prone to sleepwalking anyway, so the body just takes care of itself any way it can. She has zero recollection, just empty wrappers and missing food. You might look into your nutrient intake, especially if you're prone to head for the same foods or types of foods. See if you can find the hole in your diet and fill it in healthful ways during the daylight hours.
  • shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ive got an uncle who does this. Part of his thing though is driving while asleep doing handyman work and other things...so its not strictly an eating disorder but he does do it. He'll eat banana including the peels any and everything he can get his hands on. Its crazy! He hasnt gained much weight from it though.