My odd odd diet

Options
Fochizzy
Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
Ok I should start this out by saying I have this weird disorder that means I do not process carbohydrates correctly, this means the need for carbs most people have is doubled for me. Since my body uses them less effectively it wants them more. This means, I always want a delicous bready something. I was actually a vegetarian until I was 15 because I did not like meat. The problem I am not getting enough protein in my diet these days. I have started having protein shakes for breakfast but still not enough...ideas?

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg whites with bay shrimp and avocados... YUM!
  • Gretch117
    Gretch117 Posts: 1
    Options
    Lots of beans and rice, and nuts on salads
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say I REALLY REALLY wish I had your disorder! :smile:
  • kwinterscheidt
    kwinterscheidt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    try those special k protien waters, they have lots of fiber and protien and they actually taste pretty good. you could drink a few of those a day and get the extra protien you are needing.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    edamame beans! greek yogurk, cheese, Quron products?
  • alannablue
    alannablue Posts: 13
    Options
    I used to drink two EAS-carb control (sorry, won't help you with the other issue) caramel flavor drinks a day... at 17g protein a pop, that was 34g/day just from drinks... I think 56-60g a day is the goal, so you shouldn't have an issue filling in the rest with food. :)
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    Edamame has protein? Learn something new!
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    Lol, nice you don't because it makes losing weight harder and having children more difficult. But the having an excuse for the fact that growing up I wanted pasta 2 meals a day did not suck (most of my family has this, 3 out of 4 kids)
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes on gym days. If you eat eggs, have them for breakfast. I also snack on almonds and add walnuts to my salads. Eat lots of quinoa and lentils. They are high in protein. I eat brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta instead of regular or whole wheat. They are half the cal as the other pasta and then I load my pasta with veg. I eat potatoes instead of bread with breakfast. This may sound weird, but I love a baked sweet potato topped with almond butter.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Egg, greek yogurt, any meat but you might find fish is easier for you to process. Protein bars, I used to eat Cliff Builders really love them, but I've started eating a more clean diet and cut them out.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    the breads at Subway have a lot of protein in them. Just the bread from a 6" sub has about 10g of protein in it. Load it up with some veggies for a meal :)

What is your disorder? I want to google and read about it :)
  • Fochizzy
    Options
    I know this does not sound real but my Mom always called it the Carb thing, it is super rare and seriously genetic. I will ask my sister what it is called and get back to you. She had to get treatment when she started trying to have kids (the ONLY time they try to treat it) though honestly what made her have kids was regular exercise, eating clean, and a TON of Green Tea. But since she talked to the doctor about it for months maybe she remembers the long convoluted name.
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have similar issues with not getting enough protein. To deal with this, I've been eating more tofu. It's all but solved the problem of my calcium and protein content.

There's a million different ways to prepare it, and you can get so many different textures and flavours that it'll never get boring. It's low calorie, high protein, and can be as easy or difficult to prepare as you want it to be.

And, of course, eating more beans and lentils will also help with the protein problem.