Ditching Weight Watchers and doing just MFP? Is it possible ;)

Options

Replies

• NCGatorJen
    NCGatorJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is such a great thread. I've been doing WW on and off since I was in high school and I just turned 44. I went off WW most recently in August. I thought about going back but blown away by the issues with the new plan. I really need the accountability which is why I thought about going back to meetings but hoping to find the support I need on MFP.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Big mistake WW!

I figure that WW has accumulated more lifetime members, than they anticipated & this might be a way, of not only getting rid of them but also those whom're about to, become lifetime members. How many paying customers couldn't attend meetings because non paying lifetime members, were instead; using that chair? Have any locations closed or could be in danger of closing becausesounds the ratio of non paying lifetime members exceeding the paying, to the point that the location wasn't/isn't bringing in enough revenue; to maintain the storefront? Sure they could cancel the lifetime policy instead but that'd most likely cause more, of an outrage. Also this could be a method of trying to get members (especially non paying lifetime) to gain weight, so that they can blame you for it & then charge you, once again to lose it. They seem to change their plans often & thus starting this cycle again. This just seems like an abusive relationship to me. WW says to their client "If you leave us, you'll gain weight". Sort of like an abusive spouse saying to their spouse "If you leave me; you'll regret it" & thus you'll most likely develop Stockholm Syndrome because you remember the good times, of losing weight with WW or the romance with the spouse & be desperate, to return to those times & the hope'll keep you there. Plus you'll also be afraid of the consequences, if you do leave. This treatment is unethical & should be illegal! Also if they're informing you that you can't go on successfully without them, then they basically let you know that; they didn't teach you anything about nutrition/sustainability because if they did, you could leave & not regain the weight.

Sounds about right to me...great deduction :)
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Big mistake WW!

I figure that WW has accumulated more lifetime members, than they anticipated & this might be a way, of not only getting rid of them but also those whom're about to, become lifetime members. How many paying customers couldn't attend meetings because non paying lifetime members, were instead; using that chair? Have any locations closed or could be in danger of closing becausesounds the ratio of non paying lifetime members exceeding the paying, to the point that the location wasn't/isn't bringing in enough revenue; to maintain the storefront? Sure they could cancel the lifetime policy instead but that'd most likely cause more, of an outrage. Also this could be a method of trying to get members (especially non paying lifetime) to gain weight, so that they can blame you for it & then charge you, once again to lose it. They seem to change their plans often & thus starting this cycle again. This just seems like an abusive relationship to me. WW says to their client "If you leave us, you'll gain weight". Sort of like an abusive spouse saying to their spouse "If you leave me; you'll regret it" & thus you'll most likely develop Stockholm Syndrome because you remember the good times, of losing weight with WW or the romance with the spouse & be desperate, to return to those times & the hope'll keep you there. Plus you'll also be afraid of the consequences, if you do leave. This treatment is unethical & should be illegal! Also if they're informing you that you can't go on successfully without them, then they basically let you know that; they didn't teach you anything about nutrition/sustainability because if they did, you could leave & not regain the weight.

Sounds about right to me...great deduction :)

Thank you!
  • ongoingwhy
    ongoingwhy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I am just so used to WW as a part of my life for a million years and living by points that I don't know any different but this new plan they just rolled out is not very conducive to long term success (in my opinion only). I just need to cut the cord or rip the bandage off :)

Wow, you look great for someone who's over a million years old. ;)

Jokes aside, I don't think anyone needs to pay anything just to lose weight. In fact, you should be saving money from eating less! All it takes is a little bit of effort on your part and the will to finish what you set out to do, then you'll be just fine. :)
  • msegalrubin
    msegalrubin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi...I was doing ok on WW and had lost over 20 points. Gave Smart Points a try for 2 weeks and feel it's unusable for me. One cup of Thai Curry Soup - 12 points, over 1/3 of daily allowance. The new website is a mess: it is often down, functionality that was a part of Points Plus is missing. I even tried to cancel my membership online and that wasn't working either! I finally resorted to changing my credit card number and expiration date to one that doesn't exist in order to prevent automatic renewal of my membership. I'll continue to go to meetings until my subscription is up, but will use MFP for tracking and additional support. It's easy to use, seemingly no bugs, and free!
  • Scout515
    Scout515 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    *Raises hand* Me too to just about everything on this thread. I've actually had an MFP account for years but never really stuck with it and kept gaining weight. In May I joined weight watchers meetings and I've lost over 20 pounds on points plus. I did smartpoints the first week and actually lost 2 pounds (that was with eating all my fit points). But it is so unsustainable, especially with the holidays. I found myself going way over my points and then feeling bad and out of control and binging, which is something I haven't done for a long time and really thought I was done with. I had to double log all my food in the WW and MFP just to keep my sanity. Like oh, its only lunch and I've eaten all my daily points but that's actually less than 1000 calories so maybe I don't have to feel like a complete failure. Anyway, its nice to see I'm not the only one having so much trouble. I haven't quit WW yet, but it looks like that's where I'm headed. Hoping that I'll have more luck with MFP if I actually participate in the community. Good luck everyone with your transitions.
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    WW helped me loose 100lbs years ago and every time I stopped and went back, I did loose weight; but right now in my life I can't get to meetings (which for me I like). Anyway, trying to get myself back. Saw a favorite body builder recommend this app. So far I love it. I find calorie counting easier then points. I do agree WW helped me learn portion control too. Good luck!
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You will be just fine without WW... Believe in yourself. I use to do ww and now i only track food here. The WW eating/tracking never really leaves you. I still refer back to it if I get crazy out of control. My problem is more about working out. You probably don't need them as much as they need you.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Long time ex WW member here, in 2 states, on/off for decades. Lost weight but NEVER lost enough to get to goal. Never got diddly squat from the meetings, despite the various leaders over the years. I did learn a lot and still use a lot of the information, but I always ended up falling off the wagon & gaining back what I lost and more. Found MFP in mid 2012-best thing I ever did.
  • verdebug
    verdebug Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I, too, understand these feelings, and I've been really struggling to decide what to do about it. I've been quite successful with WW (lost nearly 60 pounds) but I loathe the new plan. I'm still a member, but I thought I'd try MFP and see how it goes. I actually really love my weekly WW meeting so I am concerned about finding similar support here, but I am trying to think positively and embrace this change as the push I need to get to my ultimate goal. I have a healthy lifestyle, which includes the occasional splurge, but I am not prepared to live my life without cheese, chocolate, or wine. :) It really helps me to know that others are struggling with feeling like the new WW plan is too restrictive. I feel like a failure - and I am absolutely NOT a failure!!!
  • NCGatorJen
    Options
    Best wishes on what you decide. I think you can find a lot of support here. The trick is to make it a habit to check in and make friends with people if you need support.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The $50 is for premium membership if you need/want it. I don't think I do.

sorry, i should have clarified that i chose to pay the $50/year for premium. :o
  • sherrsuntha
    sherrsuntha Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I joined ww three different times and I have found that it has never worked for me. I like MFP though as I find it keeps me on track and is a lot more user friendly and I have made more connections here.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Points are proprietary and you almost need membership to track points. The older point system, which is still likely effective, you could calculate your own points with a chart and the nutrition label. I find it easier to track calories than points. The biggest change is the observed weekly weigh-in. The accountability benefit of a group can be replaced by a trainer or even a strong willed friend or family member.
  • kimmybo2109
    kimmybo2109 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing! I have been on WW for YEARS! I have always sung their praises. Got to Lifetime 3 years ago, but due to a few life changes and overseas trips I have gradually put back on 10kg over the last 18 months. Started really tracking etc again a couple of months ago and was losing, then they brought in this new plan and I HATE it. Have lost nothing since I started it. So, 6 days ago I started MFP and I am already finding it SO much better. Love that I can see how much sugar and fat I am consuming, so I can really understand where my problems are.
    Have ordered the FitBit Surge too, which I should receive this week. Figure the $$ spent there is still much less than my monthly WW fee. See how we go, huh? Good luck! :)
  • homecraftedmom
    homecraftedmom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too am turning from WW. I am frustrated by the changes they have made, not because I dont think they will work, but because I started tracking with a different program while they made their changes. I am concerned that if my husband's insurance was to quit paying for WW I would need to quit. I dont want to fall backwards, I need to do this for the rest of my life. I dont see WW as being a "rest of my life" type thing. My trainer suggested here, so here I am.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Had zero % success with two bouts of Weight Watchers, and 100 % success here.
  • NCGatorJen
    Options
    Had an epiphany of sorts last night about WW. I always went back because I liked the meetings and the same people were there. I have probably gone back to the same group at least 4 times in 8 years.

And yet, none of them ever contacted me when I fell off the wagon despite a FB group we have. I already get way more support here from people I don't know and my "virtual" friends.

Just had to share my thoughts.
  • AprilLily981
    AprilLily981 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just decided to leave WW and try this. Best of luck to us both.
  • ROSEDARMANIN
    ROSEDARMANIN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have tried them all; Weight Watchers, Dr. Bernstein, and many others. Lost some weight on all of them and actually reached my goal on Dr Bernstein but once you stop the injections the weight comes back with a vengeance. I lost 10lbs on MFP and went off at Christmas time and gained 4 lbs. which I intend to lose now that I'm back o n it. MFP is great for keeping track and the best part is that its free.