Want to Start Running, But Overweight and Feel Embarrassed :(

Options

Replies

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    :) I was probably in the 220s when I started C25K last year. I run around the lake in my subdivision. I didn't want anyone to see me run. Finally one day the timer was coming to the running part and a couple up ahead was walking there dog. I just sucked it up and went by them. The only one who cared was the dog. That helped me immensely and it got much easier and less embarassing after that. I've since done two 5Ks in my subdivision and don't even think about running past people anymore.

When I did the C25K I would do a lot on the treadmill, but after a few weeks realized I hated it so it's all outdoors for me. I'm in NC so we do get winter weather. I got a pair of winter leggings and a shirt, as well as gloves. They make it much easier to be outside, as well as a good headband for the ears (not a hat person). Lots of chapstick too.

Never in a million years would I have believed I could run a mile, let alone three. And like it. But I do. I was super slow in the beginning, 16-17 mins. Now I'm usually in the 10 min range which boggles my mind. It does get easier as the weight comes off and it's great mental therapy as well. So my vote is to start now. Just think how much you'll have done by spring
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of good books you may want to look at;
    Running for Mortals: A Commonsense Plan for Changing Your Life With Running
    Marathoning for Mortals: A Regular Person's Guide to the Joy of Running or Walking a Half-Marathon or Marathon
    I was like 275 or so when I started and could only go about 1.5 1.75 miles with out stopping. That was last Sep and set a goal of doing a 1/2 marathon in March. I did it! and I have done two more and a 10K since then. So in a year I've gone from not running to running 13.1 miles. If this fat boy could do it you can! Just go slow and easy and work into it. Oh and have fun.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Lesleycali wrote: »
    As someone who runs regularly I do notice other people running and always say hi. I think other runners are pretty darn awesome for being out there, regardless of size, age, or current ability etc… Go for it!

Yes! I've started jogging 5k on the seafront with my friend once a week, and everyone is so friendly. I started off my outdoor running with a colour run in Sept, 4 months post partum, so I was still pretty big! There were people of all sizes doing it.

I'm still overweight now, but I'm able to jog 5k pretty much non stop. It's not too cold her yet (South East England) but you warm up fast once you start jogging.
  • xjgirl94
    xjgirl94 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started running and got shin splints and they still havent went away. My mom works for two doctors and I am supposed to be icing 3x a day but don't have time due to work but if I do too much during my workout I can really feel it!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you're getting shin splints, make sure you're running on the balls of your feet, and not on the heels. Shin splints are caused a lot of times by heel striking which forces a fully extended front leg when landing.

Legs should be slightly bent at the knee, and you should be landing on the balls of the feet while leaning a little forward. People describe it as a controlled fall.
  • laurenisfitforlife
    Options
    Thanks so much, Everyone! :) I really appreciate this!
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ishii19 wrote: »
    I'm a pretty new runner - about a year - and what I've found reading stuff online and passing other runners out on the road is we are a very inclusive group. So if you are red faced, jiggly, wheezy, plodding along sloowly running any runner you see is mentally (or sometimes verbally) cheering you on, thinking "I've been there! Keep at it - it's worth it! Good for you!" And as for non runners - well as they say no matter how fast you run you're lappin everyone on the couch! Be proud :) get some light fleece layers or a treadmill and shake it!

^This. When I started C25K I weighed 265. I went at midnight so I wouldn't have to see any people while I stumbled around like a beached whale. When I started dropping weight I wanted people to see me doing all that hard work. I started getting proud of myself. Fellow runners would give a thumbs up and other women in the neighborhood started showing up on the jogging trails with me. Some of them even stopped me to tell me that I had inspired them to get off their rear ends and get moving.

It is cold, icy and snowy here, too. So, I joined Planet Fitness. For $10 a month and no contract I am a pretty happy camper.

Stay safe on the roads, my fellow runner. You're doing great!

-India
  • ritika33
    ritika33 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I started c25k this month,onto week 5 now. I run in my university gym's track - and it is intimidating to see that almost everyone else on the track is super fit (and looks it). But you know what, no one else cares what you're doing, if anything, they are probably cheering you on silently. I know I do when I see someone making an effort. Also, this is as bad as it gets - from here on out, everyday is going to be a better version of you. So get in there and start. Once you force yourself to go 5-6 times, you'll get over all the anxiety! Good luck!
  • laurenisfitforlife
    Options
    This is an old thread, but thought I would update: I learned to run, I overcame my embarrassment, and I did it! I run 2-3 days per week (less now because, hey, I'm from northern be so brrrrr!) Running has helped me to learn patience and persistence, it has helped in my weightloss journey (down 62 lbs). If you're considering running, but are too afraid to, push past that fear because when you do it, you will love it!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I think a lot of people, overweight or not, feel self conscious when they take up something new (I know I did the first time I went swimming as an adult), but it's great that you're enjoying yourself and seeing results :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Someone once said 'there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing'. Running or jogging in the old shouldn't be an issue. Just plan for it.

C25k is a great programme. I'm halfway through, and in my experience, if you are finding it tough at any point, just go slower. I walk at about a 3.8mph pace (both on a treadmill at a slight incline and in the real world), but am currently only running at a 4.8mph. It puts my feet beneath me, helps my form, and helps me gain stamina before speed.

Good
    Luck.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread, but thought I would update: I learned to run, I overcame my embarrassment, and I did it! I run 2-3 days per week (less now because, hey, I'm from northern be so brrrrr!) Running has helped me to learn patience and persistence, it has helped in my weightloss journey (down 62 lbs). If you're considering running, but are too afraid to, push past that fear because when you do it, you will love it!

Merry Christmas Lauren, what a great update! So good to read about your success, and awesome inspiration for everyone!

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

That is beyond awesome! Congrats!

A site like this always has new users coming in ready to tackle the world only to disappear a few weeks later. It is nice to see someone come back with such a positive update. Keep up the good work.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just to echo others, dont worry about it. I was 250 lbs when I started. Luckily, there's a community track near my house so it wasnt so bad as being on the road, but still, teenagers would sometimes giggle when i went by if they were there. But I continued on, because i wasnt about to give anyone that kind of power of me, to make me want to stop. Also, look up running trails in your area, which are nice for a change of scenery. Another plus to starting now, if you go around your neighborhood at night, no one will see you - just make sure you have outdoor running clothes and something reflective. Go for it!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I felt really self-conscious the 1st time I went out to run. I was using c25k in a park and dreaded that 1st interval so hard. But literally no one noticed or cared.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    To anyone who wants to start running but is overweight to begin with, I simply cannot recommend highly enough an Eliptical Cross Trainer. Not only will it reduce the stress on your joints when you start out with those extra pounds, but it's less embarrassing too. Less stomp = less wobble, and your muscles and heart are still getting the workout they need.

You can run longer on an Eliptical than on a Treadmill too, because you don't get that winded feeling (you know, that ache in your throat telling you to stop?)... it takes a lot more to hit that wall on an Eliptical.

I bought one 5 years ago roughly and it was a life saver (a Spirit eGlide - one of the most sturdy machines with a long stride). It cost me less than the price of an annual gym membership and, considering its the only machine I could safely use without injuring my feet and hips for a several years, it made perfect sense to get one (I have a disavility in one hip, leg, foot - so low impact is key). The best part of my day is coming home from work and watching a favourite TV show on the iPad as I run in the cross trainer. I even run with no hands now, using a proper jogging motion, as I've learned to balance properly. It feels like all the benefits of running without the stitch, without the jarring, without feeling winded, and best of all... total privacy.

I highly recommend checking these out in the January sales. I bought mine for 50% off originally. Best thing I've ever bought myself.
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    In case folks are seriously interested in what I said about the above, let me save you the trouble of all the meticulous research I had to do to find the best eliptical cross trainer...

I'm somewhere between 6'1" and 6'2" and my other half is a little over 6'6". We immediately wanted to find a cross trainer with a long enough stride to suit us both as our initial research showed that matching the correct stride was extremely important. If the stride is too short for you, you can't achieve the natural running motion on an eliptical that you need to do. Sure, you won't have the impact from running on the road, but with the wrong stride length you could develop back problems or pain in your leg muscles in odd places. You need to be able to maintain the correct posture at all times on an eliptical - straight back, no crunching over, no hunkering down etc.

We got it right first time, albeit after several days of research and email enquiries. We bought the Spirit E-Glide CG800 Club Series. It cost us £999 on a half price sale about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. Strangely the full recommended retail price is still £1,999 today, so it has held it's value. There are other models available now, but they are sold alongside our version for the same price and appear to have a slightly 'shorter' stride distance. If I was buying one today, I'd still go for the one I have for my height.

r0n83qrzp8kq.jpg

I hope this helps someone else get started with their running activity, or to buy the correct cross trainer if you're considering it.

27321529.png
  • gibbsgirl76693
    gibbsgirl76693 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Thank you for updating this thread! I just downloaded C25k (again, lol) and was having doubts about getting out there and being seen. This is giving me some inpiration!

• nutmeg2576
    nutmeg2576 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

OUTSTANDING!!! I'm so glad to read this, and so ready to do the same thing. Congratulations on your hard work and achievements, Lauren. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Wow - Everyones' encouragement and kind words are so appreciated! So a HUGE thanks to all of you guys! I feel way better about this. I think that I just need to get out there, stay positive and not worry about what others think or don't think. Running has been a huge goal for me so I am totally doing this for me and only me. Thanks again!

i am working on my running too. i am the one who couldnt run up 15 steps for a train without sweating and breathing like someone almost dying. recently i jogged 40 mins on the treadmill non stop i was wondering who the hell i am. its not alot for some but i was well impressed with myself. when its warm i will will try the same in the park. i use the run double app or sometimes runtastic

good luck you can do it