Where to start?!

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP but not to weight loss. 2004-2005 I lost 130lbs through weight watchers and have mostly kept it off (I'm up around 20 lbs). During that time my main form of fitness was zumba, pilates videos and I was on my high school colorguard team. Now that I am 2 years away from being 30, I want to really train my body and lose weight, tone and build muscle. I want to lift heavy and get into HIIT but I don't know where to start. I currently go to a YWCA. I joined mainly for the classes. They're actual fitness center is very small and has maybe 5 machines and a few free weights. I'm nervous to just go in and start lifting myself because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to injure myself. I suppose I should schedule a meeting with a trainer. However, I'm in grad school and I know training is very expensive even though it's probably what I need most.

Has anyone else gone through a similar struggle? How did you take the first steps? What kind of gym/training can you recommend?

Thanks for the advice =)

Replies

• FluffyAndFestive
    FluffyAndFestive Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So here's just one idea you can try. When it comes to lifting heavy actually lifting in general it's important to have good form to avoid injuries like you said and also developing muscle imbalances. Finding a trainer that fits you that you can see once a week to work on the lifts that you are not comfortable doing is both important and cost effective since you would only be using one session a week, the rest of your gym time can be spent on the stuff you're already comfortable with. I started lifting after I started competing in mixed martial arts but prior to that was a skateboarder so lifting wasn't a part of my life. I started with little to no understanding of lifting. But what I have found over the years is that everyone has an opinion on lifting and many of them contradict what another opinion you heard was. Working out and dieting are a trial and error as each of us are different. But IMO there is no substitute for learning from someone professional and educated and then being able to find what works for you after his/her knowledge has been transferred to you. So in that long response my recommendation would be to get a trainer for at least a short period of time until you're able to work on your own. Lastly a few good tools to help you get started are resistance bands as they come in various weights starting light and going up, and can duplicate many weight exercises. There is also of course body weight stuff and trx (suspension trainer) type tools that can assist without the use of weights. I hope you can find a good routine that works for you and all the best.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you start lifting look at some beginners programs like strong lift, strong curves, starting strength or new rules of lifting for women. The last is great to understand some of the science behind this and walks through how to lift.

Another option is to look up free weight routines to transition.
  • adamhendrickson92
    adamhendrickson92 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to look for a new gym that is more geared towards your goals. Getting a trainer would be a boon to your transition into weight lifting, or if you know anyone who lifts weights they can help you to get started as well.

There are also plenty of programs and routines online you can follow with demonstrations of the various exercises. If you do start on your own, it's a good idea to begin with light weights until you get more comfortable with the exercises and develop the proper form.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Do Sprint 8 program twice a week, pump iron twice a week (45 mins ea).
  • neplainjanepas
    neplainjanepas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey girl congrats on your choice to start lifting!. Its totally going to change your body and make you feel great. You know what I still use this site when I am looking for some new workouts to change things up a bit, and I heavily leaned on it when i first started.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

• KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Also, youtube has some great videos as well, on everything from form to routines to learning new exercises. Start basic - 4 or 5 weight-based exercises for upper body and the same for lower body. In the beginning I wouldnt get too technical like isolating shoulders or chest or whatnot because anything you do will go a long way. I alternate a few days using machines and a few using free weights.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to MFP but not to weight loss. 2004-2005 I lost 130lbs through weight watchers and have mostly kept it off (I'm up around 20 lbs). During that time my main form of fitness was zumba, pilates videos and I was on my high school colorguard team. Now that I am 2 years away from being 30, I want to really train my body and lose weight, tone and build muscle. I want to lift heavy and get into HIIT but I don't know where to start. I currently go to a YWCA. I joined mainly for the classes. They're actual fitness center is very small and has maybe 5 machines and a few free weights. I'm nervous to just go in and start lifting myself because I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to injure myself. I suppose I should schedule a meeting with a trainer. However, I'm in grad school and I know training is very expensive even though it's probably what I need most.

Has anyone else gone through a similar struggle? How did you take the first steps? What kind of gym/training can you recommend?

Thanks for the advice =)

My story was very similar to you, I actually lost over 120lbs in 2007 and in 2011 I put it all back on again. This time round I did only weight training for over 2 years and lost it all purely from weight training and changing my diet. In the last couple of months I've integrated a cardio plan and have been amazed with the added results I've got.

If I could give any advice, I would start with weight training and do interval Sprints and monitor your heart rate over a 30 minute period. I got very fit quickly doing it this way, sprint, walk, sprint, walk.

Good luck!