For these mug cakes, what cake mix are you buying?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
I bought a Duncan hines mix and it said to add veggie oil and eggs. I have a feeling that people here are making these mug cakes a lot easier than that.
What brand are you using that you just add water? You just stir and microwave, right?

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I am making the mug cakes from pinterest in the Trim Healthy Mama recipes. They call for nut flour, egg, coconut oil, cocoa and stevia...they are okay and get me through a sweet craving.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I just learned of this!

1 box of any kind of cake mix + 1 box of angel food cake mix
    Put in a ziploc bag and mix it up
    3 tbsp of the mix in a mug + 2 tbsp water (then stir) + 1 minute in the microwave = cake!

it's a Weight Watchers thing...321 cake
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »

3 tbsp of the mix in a mug + 2 tbsp water (then stir) + 1 minute in the microwave = cake!

This is exactly what I do. Personally, I use Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mixed with Betty Crocker Angel Food cake.

10382200.png
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I make a mug cake from scratch.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

do share! :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

This is exactly what I do. Personally, I use Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mixed with Betty Crocker Angel Food cake.

10382200.png

Wow, now this sounds really simple....something to have on hand when the cake craving comes. ;) Thanks for the share gang :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can mix any cake mix with an angel cake mix and water, but honestly, I think it's not even worth the 100 calories.
  • ew_david
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You can mix any cake mix with an angel cake mix and water, but honestly, I think it's not even worth the 100 calories.

Totally disagree. When I want a cupcake without having to make 2 dozen, this hits the spot.
  • Francl27
    Options

Totally disagree. When I want a cupcake without having to make 2 dozen, this hits the spot.

Well if you like cupcakes made from mixes (I don't), maybe it's enough I guess...
  • ew_david
    Options

Well if you like cupcakes made from mixes (I don't), maybe it's enough I guess...

Yeah, I don't bake. It's good enough for me.
  • Wynterbourne
    edited December 2015
    Options

A successful diet boils down to doing what satisfies you and only you. If you don't like it don't do it. If you do like it do it. That being said just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Don't discourage them from trying something they might like.

10382200.png

• 121tot
    121tot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make the mug cake recipes from the Bigger Bolder Baking Blog/YouTube channel!
  • Francl27
    Options

A successful diet boils down to doing what satisfies you and only you. If you don't like it don't do it. If you do like it do it. That being said just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else. Don't discourage them from trying something they might like.

10382200.png

I'm not trying to discourage people, just warning them to keep their expectations low. I've tried so many supposedly great 'lower calorie' versions of things and was disappointed 90% of the time, so I would have appreciated a heads-up, personally. Plus it would have saved me the cost of two box cakes.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

10382200.png

I'm not trying to discourage people, just warning them to keep their expectations low. I've tried so many supposedly great 'lower calorie' versions of things and was disappointed 90% of the time, so I would have appreciated a heads-up, personally. Plus it would have saved me the cost of two box cakes.

Everyone has different taste buds. Everyone has different likes. If people try something and aren't dissappointed and do indeed like how it tastes, how are they supposed to know that you won't like it and that they were supposed to give you a heads up? Unless it tastes like charcoal or dirt or some other obviously horrible flavor, they can't. We aren't mind readers to others preferences. I personally don't feel that 321 Cake needs the "you'll be disappointed so don't waste your money on two boxes of cake mix" warning that you feel it does need. Again everyone's different. *shrug*
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I could make enough just to be 100 calories. And I love that I won't have a dozen cupcakes. I wonder if I could add extra cocoa powder for health benefits.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    Sounds like I could make enough just to be 100 calories. And I love that I won't have a dozen cupcakes. I wonder if I could add extra cocoa powder for health benefits.

Mine comes out to 129 calories. I've never tried adding anything else. Couldn't hurt to experiment.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options

Ingredients
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tablespoons water at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder and add salt

Mix together the olive oil, water, egg and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
    Pour into a mug and microwave 2 minutes.

I make a bit of frosting with butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder for on top when its cool. (I add a teaspoon of instant coffee for more flavor, but this is optional.)

Easy and great when you just want a treat without making a whole cake.
  • ew_david
    Options

10382200.png

Everyone has different taste buds. Everyone has different likes. If people try something and aren't dissappointed and do indeed like how it tastes, how are they supposed to know that you won't like it and that they were supposed to give you a heads up? Unless it tastes like charcoal or dirt or some other obviously horrible flavor, they can't. We aren't mind readers to others preferences. I personally don't feel that 321 Cake needs the "you'll be disappointed so don't waste your money on two boxes of cake mix" warning that you feel it does need. Again everyone's different. *shrug*

Word. And as for being out the money for two boxes of cake mix...lol. A box of cake mix costs a buck here.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Ingredients
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 egg
    1 1/2 tablespoons water at room temperature
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder and add salt

Mix together the olive oil, water, egg and vanilla. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
    Pour into a mug and microwave 2 minutes.

I make a bit of frosting with butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder for on top when its cool. (I add a teaspoon of instant coffee for more flavor, but this is optional.)

Easy and great when you just want a treat without making a whole cake.

@Debmal77 Thanks for taking the time to post this! :)