Newbie fitbit charge hr user here!

Options
Hey,

I was just wondering if there is anyone who would be able to help me with using my new fitbit charge hr. From what I've read so far, I just press the button when I am excercising, and it automatically will adjust my calorie goal for the day? (After I've synced it with myfitnesspal, which I believe I have done. Is there a way to check that I've synced to mfp successfully?)

I have also read I should go into mfp settings and allow negative calorie adjustments. Is this correct?

Any other helpful tips and suggestions you can give me would be much appreciated! I am not the quickest learner when it comes to mastering new technology lol. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Another question: prior to syncing my fitbit to mfp, I had a weight loss goal set through mfp. I notice there is also an option to enter a weight loss goal on the fit bit app. Do I use both apps or just one over the other?
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,417 Member
    Options
    Also just got this fitbit as a gift and to be honest, I feel like this is just going to be another distraction. Like it's just going to aggravate my OCD-ness or something.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    no pressing the button wont do anything but show the info on the fitbit. you have to access the app on your phone or device and then sync it that way. the app syncs with MFP(then check your mfp page and see if it synced with your phone or other device).I would enter the weight loss goal on here if it were me. you dont have to but if you are going to log food here you may as well.(fitbit and mfp will give you two different calorie goal numbers- I think because MFP uses the neat method and the fitbit uses TDEE method(I could be wrong on this). or at least it did for me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if you arent sure go to the fitbit forum pages and they can help you out. or someone on here could give you more info.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone!
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't use the phone app so I cannot help you with that.
    As for recording an exercise session, you start it by pushing the button and hold it in until the Fitbit vibrates.
    As soon as it vibrates let go of the button and you will see a stopwatch start counting.
    When you are done with your exercise you push the button and hold it again until it vibrates and let it go.
    This will stop the counter and display steps and calories and other things for that exercise period.
    Like you I sync my Fitbit and then I check it on MFP.
    I suppose a person really doesn't have to do that but I like to see where my calories in and out are because I feel good about it. :)
    I do not have any of my calories or goals or anything else in the Fitbit site.
    I started with MFP and have stayed there.
    I haven't noticed any problems with that but then I haven't really dug in looking for any.
    Hope this helps.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Fitibt Charge HR user here:

To start logging exercise, hold down the button on your Fitbit. It will vibrate and you will see a stopwatch going. However Fitbit has just updated to where if you are exercising for more than 15 minutes (like walking, elliptical, etc.) it will automatically start logging that as exercise. Pretty nice because I always forget to press the button and then have to manually log.

Fitbit got my weight loss information from My Fitness Pal, and My Fitness Pal gets information from Fitbit. It is a two way line of communication. I log my food in My Fitness Pal, and it translates over to the Fitbit app for me. I log my exercise on Fitbit and it translates over to My Fitness Pal for me. It's very intuitive. There are things I like better with MFP like the food database, but the Fitbit provides things that MFP won't--like my heart rate when exercising and even how I am sleeping (which has been horrible over the last week).

Good luck--I love my Fitbit and with that combined with MFP has really helped me get in shape and on the track for weight loss (I am actually sitting on the floor at an airport charging my Fitbit as we speak--can't risk it dying by the time I land!).
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Fitibt Charge HR user here:

To start logging exercise, hold down the button on your Fitbit. It will vibrate and you will see a stopwatch going. However Fitbit has just updated to where if you are exercising for more than 15 minutes (like walking, elliptical, etc.) it will automatically start logging that as exercise. Pretty nice because I always forget to press the button and then have to manually log.

Fitbit got my weight loss information from My Fitness Pal, and My Fitness Pal gets information from Fitbit. It is a two way line of communication. I log my food in My Fitness Pal, and it translates over to the Fitbit app for me. I log my exercise on Fitbit and it translates over to My Fitness Pal for me. It's very intuitive. There are things I like better with MFP like the food database, but the Fitbit provides things that MFP won't--like my heart rate when exercising and even how I am sleeping (which has been horrible over the last week).

Good luck--I love my Fitbit and with that combined with MFP has really helped me get in shape and on the track for weight loss (I am actually sitting on the floor at an airport charging my Fitbit as we speak--can't risk it dying by the time I land!).

I just got one for Xmas, I love it. Already it is keeping me accountable. I don't have to press it down it automatically starts counting my steps. Good luck in your fitness goals!
  • r3dcat89
    r3dcat89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this might be redundant but i too am new to this Fitbit + MFP. So my question is, do you have to manually log the exercise into MFP if you're using the timer on the Fitbit or am i logging extra exercise doing it that way? I primarily to Blogilates which is more of a pilaties/yoga fusion... so more like calisthenics. Any info is much appreciated! Thank you!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    r3dcat89 wrote: »
    I know this might be redundant but i too am new to this Fitbit + MFP. So my question is, do you have to manually log the exercise into MFP if you're using the timer on the Fitbit or am i logging extra exercise doing it that way? I primarily to Blogilates which is more of a pilaties/yoga fusion... so more like calisthenics. Any info is much appreciated! Thank you!!

@r3dcat89 If you use the timer on Fitbit or it records automatically, or you manually log an exercise in Fibit, you don't manually log the exercise in MFP.

MFP for food.
    Fitbit for exercise.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    r3dcat89 wrote: »

@r3dcat89 If you use the timer on Fitbit or it records automatically, or you manually log an exercise in Fibit, you don't manually log the exercise in MFP.

MFP for food.
    Fitbit for exercise.

Yes, I log my food in MFP and then use the negative calorie adjustment in MFP. Works like a charm. Plus, if the fitbit and MFP are synched your food will automatically show up in the Fitbit anyway, hence why I only log on MFP. OP, I would suggest doing the same.