Problems with time! Need suggestions!

Options
I'm trying to lose about 40 lbs but my body refuses to lose any weight without a massive amount of exercise no matter how well I eat. Up until recently this was fine because I had the time to work out as much as I liked. However right now I'm taking a full load of classes as well as working. I work at 6 every morning and then go directly to class after work. Once I'm out of class, I go home and do my online classes and then by the time my homework is done it's time for bed. Even though I've really been watching what I'm eating nothing is changing because I can't fit in the time to work out and it's starting to be a huge discouragement. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fit in a decent work out?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do some little desk-workouts while doing your online classes. Otherwise look at your food, MFP is set up to allow you to lose weight at your chosen rate of loss without doing any exercise!
  • tamgal75
    tamgal75 Posts: 4
    Options
    Have you thought of joining Curves. Its 30mins out of your day and its perfect for woman. I joined last Friday and so far i love it.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are studying but if it is a lot of reading I have found I can read on the stationary bike. I don't like to read on the elliptical and can't on the treadmill (although you probably could walking at an incline and not running). At least then you can kill 2 birds with one stone. =)
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    I had to cut my workouts down to 3 a week, for the same reason. So, on the days I cant get to the gym, I have a thigh master under my desk, and an ab-roller and a stability ball in my office, so every hour I work, I stop for 15 minutes and work out. Its not alot, but it certainly helps! Cardio is important, sure, but the strength training makes me burn fat faster!
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're stretched fairly thin as it is now. Any time between classes? Maybe work up a sweat in between classes or see if the school has a gym that can be used if you need to shower. Perhaps you could take a physical class to force yourself to make time for it? I know it's difficult but remember stress can pack on pounds to... do what you can and don't stress to much about it.
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I know how you feel. What I had to do was find ways to include exercise. I started walking/jogging at work on my lunch break. When I get home its harder because I have two kids (8 and 1)... I workout after they are sleep. My day starts around 615 every morning and doesnt end until around 1130 most nights.
  • mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The 30 ds is only 25 minutes of workout and very effective.
  • halfmarathon52
    halfmarathon52 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your studying, but it sounds like your really time crunched. If you have a gym membership you can ride on a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill while you are studying. When I was doing online classes I would take my tablet to the gym and read/respond to message posting and course notes while exercising. It's not perfect but it might help.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about 40 lbs but my body refuses to lose any weight without a massive amount of exercise no matter how well I eat. Up until recently this was fine because I had the time to work out as much as I liked. However right now I'm taking a full load of classes as well as working. I work at 6 every morning and then go directly to class after work. Once I'm out of class, I go home and do my online classes and then by the time my homework is done it's time for bed. Even though I've really been watching what I'm eating nothing is changing because I can't fit in the time to work out and it's starting to be a huge discouragement. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fit in a decent work out?

I am also a college student, I am not currently working. Honestly, if i was in your shoes, i'd drop a class. I feel health and fitness is more important. My friend kept on telling me, "get in shape again, because if you don't you'd get out of school and die of a heart attack 5yrs later" A big thing is, I also think you're probably eating a lot of carbs, which is what causes people to workout a lot to lose some weight. I would also say, do little things, like park a little farther from school, try to walk more but it seems like your tied down big time with your schedule. What also might be possible is, I am not sure if it's the same for you but I don't have school on friday. NO reasons you can't get in a few hours a day in the gym Friday saturday and sunday.
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The 30 ds is only 25 minutes of workout and very effective.

I second this. 30 DAy shred is a great workout and you can do it at home anytime with just a set of hand weights. High impact, without having to give up much time:)

Good luck!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That is a tough one... I'm the same way, it's got to be diet AND exercise or it's hard for the weight to come off.

I've heard that doing some activity 10 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times a day, can be just as effective as donig 30-40 minutes all at once. Could you take little breaks and get in some workouts that way? Even if it's jogging in place, push-ups, whatever. Do one first thing in the morning when you get up, then on your break(s) at work, then one or two while studying later...
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I always thought that I never had time either especially after I had my son last year. I leave for work at 6:30 and don't get home until 5:30 after picking up my son, dinner, and it seems there's only a couple of hours for family time/winding down/bed time.

When I go to work, I park further than I normally would so I have to walk to work.
    I go up the stairs at work from floor 1-26 during my morning and afternoon break.
    I walk around the park during lunch (or hit the nearby Gym) OR do more stairs
    I go for walks with my son after dinner
    I go for early morning walks with my son in the mornings on the weekends
    If my husband is home, I get up before they get up and hit the gym
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom. For about a year all I have done is about 12-15 minutes of workout everyday and I'm in better
    shape than when I used to go to a gym. The workouts are called HIIT. You can google it and find out all the benefits from it. They are very intense but in a short amount of time. You could do it just before work or anytime really. Very little equipment if any needed. I get a free daily workout in a website called www.bodyrock.tv I dont think I would join a gym ever again. I cannot spend hours at the gym after getting it done in a few minutes a day.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also work full time and am in graduate school. I have been getting up at 4am to workout for several years now. If I didn't do that I wouldn't have time. It was hard at first, but I am so used to it now. It gets my day started off great.
  • lola8403
    lola8403 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. There are some really great ideas on here. I really appreciate it.