Misfit Flash vs Fitbit Flex - advice on specific metrics please!

Options
Yes, yet another thread looking for advice on which fitness tracker to get. I've been doing my research and reading a thousand threads here and elsewhere, and I've narrowed it down to the Flash or the Flex, based on price point and functionality. But. I still have some uncertainty, so I'd appreciate some input from users.

Flash - obviously has the better price point, but I've read that the data it pulls isn't really helpful. I love data points and metrics and graphs and charts and things, so it wouldn't be worth it to me to just have one or two metrics. Especially when it comes to sleep. And I have a terrible phone and I don't think the Misfit has a web-based interface.

Flex - more expensive, less versatile (so I've heard) than the Flash - but I'm probably not going to be doing much cycling. My concern with this one is that I've read that it's less accurate than others - it wildly overestimates activity and calories burnt. But it has more of the raw data I'm interested in.

For us, where we are right now, the $50 difference is pretty big, so I want to make sure that the Flex is worth the extra money for the additional web support and data points. And also durability and longevity and other points like that - as far as I can tell, the only difference between the Flex and the Charge is that the Charge has a clock?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was deciding over these two. I ultimately decided on the Misfit Flash. I've had zero problems (some people report it popping out or going dead when it got wet). Reviews said that the Fitbit doesn't track stairs-and that Misfit was more accurate. I think it really is as I have stairs. Fitbit must be charged which is a pain, misfit runs on coin battery. I liked the design of the Misfit since it's also a watch.

Day activity: It tells me : steps taken, calories burned total as day goes on, and how many miles total. It will also track WITHOUT ME TELLING IT (unlike fitbit) running or walking. It's apparently very sensitive and will pick up when I am out dancing. But not so sensitive that it registers as separate activity something like a quick run upstairs in my house unless I'm actually going at it as sustained exercise. I love this.

Night activity: I'm pretty amazed with the accuracy. It tracks deep sleep and light sleep. You don't have to tell it to track, it just does! And I do a lot of laying around yet it knows when I sleep. Not a lot of data, though, but all I need to know is am I getting at least 45% deep sleep per night anyway. Misfit does have a Beddit device to track snoring and all that, but I don't need that.

Misfit app works best on an Iphone . How do I know? I have an iPad, a brand new Windows tablet, and access to iphone 4 and 5. The only two it syncs up accurately are the iPhones. No problems syncing with MFPal. In a nutshell, if you don't have a lot of money and this is your first one-choose a Misfit. I'm also using the free Runkeeper along with it. In a year, I'll probably move on to something new since better ones are coming out.
  • Superpook
    Superpook Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have a stupid question: If your Shine is synced to MFP- do you also enter your exercise on MFP or does the Shine log all exercise without you doing anything in the Exercise log on MFP?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Redfoot- I would get the Fitbit Zip, or do you need sleep tracking? It's the same price level as the Flash. The torso-worn models are the most accurate. I like the Misfits but I would miss a web site, too.

I never found sleep tracking useful for much but sleep isn't a problem for me. And when it is, I know it without a device telling me.
  • bittaanne
    Options
    Redfoot, if you have a "crappy" phone as you state, misfit flash may not be compatible. Have you tried to download the misfit app on your current device?
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!

I do need the sleep tracking so the Zip wouldn't work for me.

The Misfit app is compatible, my version of Android is fairly current - it's just loaded into a terrible cheap chassis with no storage and pathetically small RAM.

I didn't realise that the Flex needs to be told when to track, I want something that's more automatic . . . hmph. I am still undecided.
  • _meremy
    _meremy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the misfit shine and I love it!! It does calculate calories and steps and sleep. However it does not take into consideration what activities you are doing.. Those need to be put in manually too.

I also had the jawbone one which was good but needed charging every week and the tracking for that was manual too but annoying.

Hope you got the one that suits you best
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Old thread :)

But i have a Misfit Flash
    I choose for it because i swim a lot. And i must say i love it. And to my surprise now while i am trying to find maintenance, it is pretty dang close with the numbers.

And for the fact that it doesn't know your activities...you can always tell it what you are doing.
    When i do step based exercises i just let it do its thing...but for swimming i will edit the activity to the swim option.
    Or biking etc.

The price is unbeatable ( $19.99 to $29.99 depends if there is a sale), specially when you think of the fact that it is the same as a Fitbit but even waterproof.
    And the customer service is awesome and fast.
    The app is clear and easy and setting up simple
    Battery life about 9 months and easy to replace.

yeps i am happy with mine.

95069916.png

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was deciding over these two. I ultimately decided on the Misfit Flash. I've had zero problems (some people report it popping out or going dead when it got wet). Reviews said that the Fitbit doesn't track stairs-and that Misfit was more accurate. I think it really is as I have stairs. Fitbit must be charged which is a pain, misfit runs on coin battery. I liked the design of the Misfit since it's also a watch.

Day activity: It tells me : steps taken, calories burned total as day goes on, and how many miles total. It will also track WITHOUT ME TELLING IT (unlike fitbit) running or walking. It's apparently very sensitive and will pick up when I am out dancing. But not so sensitive that it registers as separate activity something like a quick run upstairs in my house unless I'm actually going at it as sustained exercise. I love this.

Night activity: I'm pretty amazed with the accuracy. It tracks deep sleep and light sleep. You don't have to tell it to track, it just does! And I do a lot of laying around yet it knows when I sleep. Not a lot of data, though, but all I need to know is am I getting at least 45% deep sleep per night anyway. Misfit does have a Beddit device to track snoring and all that, but I don't need that.

Misfit app works best on an Iphone . How do I know? I have an iPad, a brand new Windows tablet, and access to iphone 4 and 5. The only two it syncs up accurately are the iPhones. No problems syncing with MFPal. In a nutshell, if you don't have a lot of money and this is your first one-choose a Misfit. I'm also using the free Runkeeper along with it. In a year, I'll probably move on to something new since better ones are coming out.

This is incorrect as far as the Fitbit goes. I have a Charge and it does do floors. Also my fitbit tracks activites automatically, I never use the exercise mode unless it's something not step based, like paddle boating or biking.